Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i think I broke my MAF, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i think I broke my MAF, HELP!!

Im in the middle of a nitrous plate install on my SS and I was being a idiot and wasnt paying attention when I pulled the MAF off and I accidently hit one of the "coils" inside the Maf and bent it...I straightened out so very gently but I think I need a new MAF, heres why...

My car sat for a week with the battery disconnected. Today, I hooked everything back up and wired up my Microedge controller...I started the car, and it died. Started it, died 5 seconds later...did this two more times (which is has NEVER done) and then I started it, gave it a little gas and it ran fine...only problem is, it idles at 1500rpms...will drop down to about 1300, but thats as low as it goes unless I drive the car, then it will idle normal, but the second I start the car again, it idles up too 2k, then idles down and stays at 1300....like I said, I never had this issue before I hit the MAF...Any Idea's??

I thought maybe with my plate setup, it was pulling the throttle cable a little, causing a high idol but I disconnected the throttle cable, and started it and it still does it.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:13 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Bud,

Good news is you can find a stock 78mm MAF for cheap- hell we may even have one (if we do we can send it to you). Remember, your idle is controlled by a few things. Your MAF controls a few things as well including how much fuel to add during idle and acceleration.

If you can, find a used maf and hook it up. If your problems persist, then you know it is not your maf. Also try cleaning the MAF- that may help too. You can get some MAF cleaner at any auto parts store.

I realize this is basic info- but most times automotive issues are simple!!!!! Start wtih easy stuff and work your way down the line!

PM me if you need anything else!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

^^^ thanks for getting back to me this fast! im anxious to get my car out sense the weather is nice and this is killing me lol!

The MAF did look a little dirty, and I have cleaner...I actually cleaned it in the middle of summer last year but im pretty positive I broke it...I hit it hard enough with my finger that I was actually bleeding cause it cut me...can you do me a favor and check and see if you happen to have any stock MAF's like you mentioned?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2 mafs on the shelf right now... 35 shipped for either one... one is decreened and the other is not... still has the stock screen...

pm if interested... thanks

both mafs are stock 78mm