Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Drag" brakes on the street

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default "Drag" brakes on the street

I'm looking to get the car lighter, but now sure if drag brakes are for me. The non vented aerospace or strange on the front. My car is not super light, about 3350 w/ me on the stock Z28 rims 1/4 tank. The normal setup, no front sway, spool, strange shocks 28' 275 DRS So I don't drive like a idot. I've been driving it less, but still put 3-5K a summer, I'm fine with buting pad, or set of rotors once a year.
I'm worried if they over heat do you lose alot of braking? Sometimes roll racing I'll have to do 2-4, 130-40 stops without really letting them cool down. Will they just warp, and still have some stoping power worse case? Or glaze bad and have no stoping power?? I only know some locals say they stop "better" for a normal stopping at the track, or street with cool down. Anyone run them on a street car, pushed them hard, what happens?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run them on the street but don't push them hard. They don't stop as well as the stockers-you have to keep that in mind when "cruising" around.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They wont do back to back 130 slow downs. As far as mine go the heat builds up quickly in them and then they pulsate. They actually work better normal driving than when hot lapping at the track.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You try to do that roll racing stuff you'll find yourself standing on the pedal and not stopping.

They work good for small street trips, mine actually stopped better then I expected with the manual master. If you do that, get the brace burkhart sells, makes the master feel better and stops the firewall from flexing.

I'd just stop the highway racing... you do that and I think you'd be o.k.

And, if you do the front and rear brakes, all the lines from scratch and a manual master, you can figure on about 100 lbs off the car by the time you're done. Fronts (aerospace hub style) are about 20 lbs per side lighter (40 total), rears are about 28 lbs lighter for both sides, the manual master and redoing all the lines is a good 18 lbs as well, if you still have the abs block, then you have a good 10 lbs gone there too.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

ABS is gone, I still have 2 lines frm the firewall back. But front in all replaced with single line fiting the Kmember nice
I was looking at getting the racecraft spindles with the 3rd gen style stranges.

The rears I have a willwood dynalite caliper setup (some type of street kit). But with a steel hat vented rotor (not that light) and a GM style drum (Ebrake) in the hat. They were on a car with a willwood 13inch rotor setup on the front, so some type of road raceing kit. There a realy nice street rear brake kit, with the Ebrake (works great) and clears weld 15x10 7.5 BS with 1/2inch of room still.But I dont think they save that much weight? So I might sell them, and getting a non vented rear drag kit. Or looking into getting a alum hat rotor, and removing the Ebrake stuff, and see about lighten them up?

thanks for that info Jay, If you didnt know I really likedthe set you have. They look really good.

JL is the non vented bolt on 4th gen) areospace kit better for the street then the strange kit?
Old 03-07-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run the Strange, everyone who i know that has used Aerospace has had problems. Had a buddie 2x have the Aerospace fall apart at the damn track, 1st time it tore up the wheel, popped the tire, made a big *** mess. 2nd time luckly he felt it pulling out the burnout, broke the braket and **** all over again.
Strange FTW. Several of my buddies run these often on the street w/ no problems. But like said i dunno about several runs in a row w/ out cool down.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya, I shouldn't say several. But you can't do more then one, that sucks. I just won't.

JL, you sure they save 40# just on the front. I dont think the front are 74# The areospace are alot lighter then the strange?
http://www.racecraft.com/index.php?m...products_id=93
"Strange Engineering 1993-2002 Camaro Pro 4 Piston Front Brake Kit offer a tremendous weight savings over OEM brake components. The entire 4 piston brake kit weights only 33.50 lbs complete with bearings hubs rotors pads calipers etc."

How much weight can I save going to manual brakes? I'd just be loosing the power boster (7-10#?). I have to get the strange master with the adaptor plate. And drill a new hole in the pedal? I can make a firewall brace.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.racecraft.com/index.php?m...products_id=74

Weight Savings
# Spindle weighs as shown 10.8 lbs.
# Strange Pro steel brake kit 33.5 lbs.
# Racecraft Inc. spindles and Strange brake kit 55.1 lbs.
# Stock spindles and brakes 97.2 lbs.
# Racecraft Inc. vs. Stock 42.1 lbs.
# (Sold In Pairs)

If the brakes are 33.5 less then stock, the stock spindles are 21.6? And only save 10.8#? I was thinking the spindles saved more?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Race your car!

The aerospace with the hub save a good bit more then people think, it replaces then entire factory hub in the spindle, trust me they're a TON lighter.

You can talk to Chuck @ burkhart and get his spindle and 3rd gen aerospace kit.. price is good and you can have any drop built, none, etc.

I don't know WHY everyone says they have problems with Aerospace stuff. I've run it on this car for years, have had it on another car with no problems in the past, and I think they're a great product. They're light, and the stopping power I think for a drag brake are really good. Maintenance is super easy too, if you want to change the pads it takes literally 5 minutes.... I have several friends that have bracket cars, they're racing once or twice a week, and have been for years, using aerospace products, with no issues at all. They're the ones that turned me onto them, and I've had absolutely nothing but good to say.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

I called Strange one time to ask them if those brakes worked well on the street. They strongly discouraged using their brakes on a street car.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im not seing the areospace fronts with the billet hub? just the slip on rotors PN 261 and 261VR for the vented rotors.

AC-262 93-04 Camaro, Firebird 969.00

found it
http://www.aerospacecomponents.com/i...:cbk&Itemid=69

KITS INCLUDE:

Billet Aluminum 4 Piston Calipers
Billet Aluminum Hubs with screw in dust caps
Billet Aluminum Spindle Supports with a Stainless Steel Spindle Shaft.
Billet Aluminum Mounting Brackets
10 1/4 Diameter 5/16 Thick Drilled Rotors
Grade 8 Hardware
1/2 x 3" long screw in wheel studs
Wheel Bearings
Grease seals
Hawk Performance Brake Pads
Meets All NHRA / IHRA Requirements
This Kit Replaces the Factory Sealed Bearing Hub Unit. NO ABS SENSOR!

Priced at [B]$969.00[B]
For Drag Race Use Only!

sucks I dont have any hookup on areospace like I do on starnge stuff

found some more info on these
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...t-savings.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...reet-alot.html

Last edited by studderin; 03-07-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-spindles.html
Old 03-08-2010, 04:27 AM
Race your car!

That is probably the kit, it says it replaces the factory sealed bearing kit and no abs sensor, the rotor's I got have holes drilled in them. I bought it thru Chuck @ Burkhart, give him a call.

The PA spindles aren't bad, but again, check with Chuck and see what they are getting for their spindles, you can buy the whole thing as a package from him, might be cheaper.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've been looking at the spindle/brake package from burkhart as well, 1150 for a set with aerospace brakes sounds like a good price to me, should offer some weight savings over just the strange brake kit and trimmed spindles up front.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Race your car!

I GUARINTEE it will. I had aerospace hub style brakes in stock spindles, went with the 3rd gen brakes and his spindle with a 1 inch drop built in (keep geometry right @ my ride height) and it saved a good 25 lbs per side. The stock spindles weigh a TON compared to these.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Aerospace builds the kit that replaces the hub for us.

Our spindle with brakes is 24.5 pounds. We can build it in any drop from stock th 1.5". The 2" drop on any of the spindles has been causing problems.

With the tax sale the spindles and Aerospace brakes are 1050.00. Strange brakes add 200.00.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

steve what brakes in that with? Ya, I wouldn't get 2inch drop just need 1 if anything. You know anything about running a better pad for some street miles on the drag kits? I found some info on willwood about it. I have there dynalite rearbrakes now, ther a lot of parts for them that is nice.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am interested in a great light weight front brake setup too...so what does everyone recommend...should be around 3100 lbs and the wheels will be in the air...

Quick Reply: "Drag" brakes on the street