Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is an aftermarket ballancer safe/better than stock for high hp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:39 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default is an aftermarket ballancer safe/better than stock for high hp?

i have a g8, mild cam, twins. pushing 600+rwhp and close to 7000rpm.

saturday my ballancer nearly came off while at the track, it could have been ugly.

my plan is to pin the stock ballancer, new bolt, locktite and make sure i get it properly torqued. an after market sfi underdrive ballancer has been recomened. would there be any negative effects? will it absorb the harmonics like a stock ballancer? a few extra hp would be ok and since i am spining it higher than stock and pulling thru the rpms faster than stock maybe i should be looking at an aftermarket underdrive ballancer?

just dont want to spin a bearing or something silly after i get one and find out they have known issues.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's basically just a pulley. The motor is internally balanced, which is why they aren't keyed or pinned from the factory. I would get an underdrive pulley. They only show a few hp but it allows the motor to build rpm a little faster so is should reduce your et a little.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

generally, with most aftermarket....anything...they have to meet or exceed OEM specs.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:46 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by bww3588
generally, with most aftermarket....anything...they have to meet or exceed OEM specs.
haha, mm, ok. like the msd coils

there is a lot of things you can bolt onto your car that will mess it up.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Yes I'm aware. I was just speaking in general. I can't see bolting on an aftermarket balancer messing things up. Unless it comes apart. But if u use your headand buy a bolted or welded rather than a bonded balancer, it should exceed oem specs.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FI = pinned or keyed NA = not necessary. This is an interference fit which is not well suited to heavy torque loads. It can support low parasitic loads such as an A/C compressor, water pump, power steering pump and alternator, but not a big blower. That calls for additional clamping force an interference fit does not provide.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing you made it home ok, I'm glad you found the bolt and we found you a socket. Surprised my buddy and I holding the belt was enough to get it tight enough again, lol.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by skinnies
I'm guessing you made it home ok, I'm glad you found the bolt and we found you a socket. Surprised my buddy and I holding the belt was enough to get it tight enough again, lol.
yep, thanks for the help. made it home fine other than driving home in the rain on drag radials.

i have an under drive ballancer on the way and am going to key it this time along with makeing sure that bolt is tight. then bump it up a little more
Old 03-11-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveX
It's basically just a pulley. The motor is internally balanced, which is why they aren't keyed or pinned from the factory. I would get an underdrive pulley. They only show a few hp but it allows the motor to build rpm a little faster so is should reduce your et a little.
It's not just a pulley... it is a harmonic dampener... it dampens crank harmonics (oscillations in the crank due to ignition events)... I'm sure you already know this...

There are some threads here where an underdrive pulley/dampener may be responsible for a broken timing chain... if it's too small it won't sufficiently dampen the harmonics.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds good, but sadly this is not the case... and there's no one to police this.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes I'm aware. I was just speaking in general. I can't see bolting on an aftermarket balancer messing things up. Unless it comes apart. But if u use your headand buy a bolted or welded rather than a bonded balancer, it should exceed oem specs.
I'm not sure what you're saying... you mean a solid balancer (i.e. inner and outer parts solidly connected, no rubber/elastomer)...? It won't have the ability to dampen crank harmonics... crank harmonics have to be absorbed somewhere otherwise damage will ensue... you already know this, right...?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
There are some threads here where an underdrive pulley/dampener may be responsible for a broken timing chain...
If you have proof then prove it, if not then don't spread lies
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

sounds good, but sadly this is not the case... And there's no one to police this.
sema....
Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

I'm not sure what you're saying... you mean a solid balancer (i.e. inner and outer parts solidly connected, no rubber/elastomer)...? It won't have the ability to dampen crank harmonics... crank harmonics have to be absorbed somewhere otherwise damage will ensue... you already know this, right...?
i dont think you know what your talking about.

there are plenty of solid balancers out there. as long as your engine is balanced correctly you wont have any problems. the reason for solid balancers is mainly for supercharged cars that have a high load on the belt system. if you use an elastomer bonded pulley/balancer, it will slip and break the bond. but they are used for high RPM engines as well to keep from slipping.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
If you have proof then prove it, if not then don't spread lies
I did say "may"... but you're right, this can't be proven.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

i dont think you know what your talking about.

there are plenty of solid balancers out there. as long as your engine is balanced correctly you wont have any problems. the reason for solid balancers is mainly for supercharged cars that have a high load on the belt system. if you use an elastomer bonded pulley/balancer, it will slip and break the bond. but they are used for high RPM engines as well to keep from slipping.
Ok, SC applications use a solid pulley, I didn't realize this, I learn something everyday.

Why do you say "i dont think you know what your talking about. "...?

The harmonic balancer has nothing to do with internal balancing, it has to do with crank harmonics (with each ignition event, the crank twists/untwists, this motion has resonant frequencies (harmonics) where the crank twist/untwist oscillations get bigger... the harmonic balancer dampens these oscillations and/or moves those frequencies so they can't be achieved).

I am wondering what type of pulley/balancer is used in OEM SC applications...?