Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My experience with a Detroit Locker...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wink My experience with a Detroit Locker...

OK so ive been driving around for a while with my new ford 9" & my detroit locker. I didnt want a posi or a spool. I wanted somthing that could take abuse & keep going.

Ford 9" w/locker, 325 gears, & 3600 stall.

Going from park, to drive, or to reverse, half of the time it will bang into gear like somthings wrong with the tranny. Other times, it will not.

When you make a sharp turn, if your not on the gas, or on the gas very lightly, it will unlock and you will hear a clicking noise like a slow moving wonderwheel. If you give it more gas on a sharp turn, it will lock & make the inside wheel hop & vibrate the whole car. On wider turns, this will not happen & you wont notice anything as long as your on the gas.

When your cruising, when you let off the gas, you will feel it pop & unlock. When you give it gas right after that, you will feel it bang & lock again. Thats the worst part IMO. When your cruising & give it a decent amount of throttle, the car will dart left or right slightly for a second.

Parallel parking, you will just hear poping & clicking noises. Every once in a while, you will feel it bang.

When Launching, you have to make sure its locked. Just go foward a little before you launch. If it bangs, it was not locked. Usually, if you were going straight & then stopped, its locked. Its when you just turned & then stopped that its unlocked at that moment.

Definitely not smooth. If your gonna daily drive this thing, turn up the radio & dont pay attention to it. For me, its not the clicking & other noises that bothers me, its the banging that you can feel. It will somtimes make random poping noises like it has a mind of its own. But thats the price you pay for having a strong diff.

Hers's a vid on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ1yM...eature=related
Old 03-07-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Great review this should help a lot of people when picking out a rear end
Old 03-07-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Great review this should help a lot of people when picking out a rear end
I hope it does. I was looking for more info before I got my locker & wasent able to find a good review.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

Are you A4 or 6 spd ? I have heard of thoes problems when running a 6 spd,
I run A4/yank 3500 for 3 years now running yank 4000 and have very very little
clicking in a very tight turn, and this is the only time I know I am running a locker.
If I make a tight turn staging I back up 6 ft then pull forward 6 ft and I am locked.

I an't no 'spert, but I will express my opinon, I ran a Detroit Locker in a 427 mustang on the strip & track for over 7 years waaayyyy back in '60s, now running a locker in
Y2K SS/7.50 rear, and building 9"/Detroit locker for spare.

As you may have guessed,
I like Detroit Lockers
Johnny
Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Auto. Ive also heard they're not good with 6 sp's.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by THE LAST Z
Auto. Ive also heard they're not good with 6 sp's.
You're absolutely correct. Bob
Old 03-08-2010, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Confirms why I made the right choice staying away from one. With all that it has to be enjoyable
Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is an exact description of how my Detroit Locker is. I was gonna do a write up but was just too lazy.

I cannot figure out why it bangs when I put it in Drive or Reverse when it was in Park. Though, with the issues that we have I know it is gonna perform at the track.

The Detroit locker is not in any way a stock feel. It almost feels like a spool lite to me. But again, I love it and do not plan on changing it.

So LastZ, do you have a whine 55mph and above when you’re on the gas? My rear will whine above 55 only when on the gas. When I let of the gas the whine goes away. I think I just recently saw a post where somebody said the noise is traveling through my Spohn TQ arm and makes since. You would think that if it were the gears they would whine speeding up and slowing down.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Just my opinion, these lockers should stay in off-road vehicles, trucks in particular.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Just my opinion, these lockers should stay in off-road vehicles, trucks in particular.
I agree, at least for DD vehicles. I have one in my Jeep for offroad, and it's great for that, but I'd hate it in my Formula.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Talked to moser a bit back and they saied that. The waive trac posi that they have was super smoth and very quiet.when every day driving comes in to play and very strong. Any word about them?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not that bad, just turn up the radio! LOL! You get used to it. At least its not going to break.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
This is an exact description of how my Detroit Locker is. I was gonna do a write up but was just too lazy.

I cannot figure out why it bangs when I put it in Drive or Reverse when it was in Park. Though, with the issues that we have I know it is gonna perform at the track.

The Detroit locker is not in any way a stock feel. It almost feels like a spool lite to me. But again, I love it and do not plan on changing it.

So LastZ, do you have a whine 55mph and above when you’re on the gas? My rear will whine above 55 only when on the gas. When I let of the gas the whine goes away. I think I just recently saw a post where somebody said the noise is traveling through my Spohn TQ arm and makes since. You would think that if it were the gears they would whine speeding up and slowing down.
I get a slight whine at certain speeds, but I think thats the motive gears...
Old 03-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Yeah mike! Launch that **** hard!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Lockers aren't all that bad. With a little suspension tuning the locker works reasonably well in autocross and roadcourses.
Reasonably well that I clinched the 2nd place in season championships.
autox pokale 2006
But since then I have switched to a Trutrac. Going from reasonbly well to exceptional would be an understatement. It is a whole different car.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Confirms why I made the right choice staying away from one. With all that it has to be enjoyable
Amen Bro.
Love my Trutrac. Its totally invisible with no ill sounds or characteristics. If I had a dedicated track car, I can see having the locker but not a a "fun" fast street car.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Teching In

I am running that locker in my 9" with a six speed in front, it is a complete nightmare on the street so far, loud as hell, bangs like something is gonna fall off the car when I take a corner wrong, in short I am hating this damn thing right now. I also have the whine above 55 when on the gas, off the gas it quiets right down. Glad to hear I am not the only one with that going on...
Old 03-24-2010, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

I'll add to this post once mine is up and running. MWC FAB9, Moser center with locker, 3.89 gears and Vig 3800 stall.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a spool right now and was thinking of switching to a Detroit Locker. Kinda sounds like I am better off with my spool as it is only noticable in parking lots and tight turns.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:57 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fergymoto
I have a spool right now and was thinking of switching to a Detroit Locker. Kinda sounds like I am better off with my spool as it is only noticable in parking lots and tight turns.
I'd keep your spool if I were you. Bob

Quick Reply: My experience with a Detroit Locker...