Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driveshaft safety loop, 4" exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default driveshaft safety loop, 4" exhaust question

That is my 4" exhaust setup, I was wondering if anyone could tell me whose driveshaft safety loop will work with this? I see BMR, Spohn, and UMI all make one. Its obvious to me that I need to order one for longtubes, but still do any have better exhaust clearance in their design? If you have 4" exhaust how are you running your safety loops?

Edit: Looking at my pictures, I may need a custom loop made? Looks like the average loop goes straight up off the mount, I almost think my exhaust is close enough to the driveshaft that I may have issues with off the shelf loops.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

we have the best fitting driveshaft loop on the market. if this one won't work you will more than likely need to custom fab something.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-pictures.html
Old 03-09-2010, 02:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a UMI torque arm/ds loop. i had to shim the thing down with washers about 1/4" to get good driveshaft clearance. I run a 3" ypipe and 4" single, it was fabbed up around the UMI torque arm brace however and fit fine before the shimming.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah my exhaust was fabbed around the body mounted Spohn arm I'm running. I'm going to a long style torque arm now with the relocation mount. So the safety loop mount will be there by itself, won't have the spohn torque arm mount there anymore.

ssvert99, I like how your loop goes above everything else. I'll have to take a look outside, but that just might be the ticket!

Are there any issues with lowering a car and running a front safety loop? Someday I am going to lower it, but nothing drastic, planning on running the strano/koni setup.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
we have the best fitting driveshaft loop on the market. if this one won't work you will more than likely need to custom fab something.

pricing and availabilty on these? nothing on your website.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssvert99

I've got one of these and 4" exhaust. Tight fit, but fits with no rubbing. And I've had the driveshaft break and it saved everything underneath the car.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a Jegs brand, but had to cut one side of the mount bracket off. So basicaly its only bolted to one side of the floor plan. I'm running true duals with an x pipe. My throughts are that the x pipe is also a loop. The jegs unit tucks up nice and tight. This is with a long arm with relocation bracket.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

I went with this one, tried a couple other but this had the best clearance and fit a 3.5" DS with a little slotting. Now I need to mod the TDs a bit to fit.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Lakewood/620/1...oductId=751248

PS I already repainted it.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Teching In

I bought the UMI product for my 99 camaro with SLP LT headers and full SLP exhaust and I'm having a ton of trouble with rubbing. Has anyone else tried this loop? It fits while static, but I keep hearing bumps and such while moving? Any ideas as to whether this loop is practicle to "finesse" into the proper position or should I just cut my losses and try something else?
Thanks for any help.
JT
PS Also Chicago area AChotrod, I'm in Hickory Hills. I'd love to get a look at your car.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:07 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I ended up just using one of those lakewood universals, they are like $25 but you'll have to bend/cut/modify it. My exhaust is very similar to yours, none of the pre-made f body loops fit.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:43 AM
9 Second Club

i used a piece of 6 inch round tubing and made up my own mount under the body. not sure if i have anypics but tucked up real well
Old 03-21-2010, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JT1999CamaroSS
I bought the UMI product for my 99 camaro with SLP LT headers and full SLP exhaust and I'm having a ton of trouble with rubbing. Has anyone else tried this loop? It fits while static, but I keep hearing bumps and such while moving? Any ideas as to whether this loop is practicle to "finesse" into the proper position or should I just cut my losses and try something else?
Thanks for any help.
JT
PS Also Chicago area AChotrod, I'm in Hickory Hills. I'd love to get a look at your car.
Yeah man check it out any time. Im at the track, car shows a lot and should be at the Speedinc open house if they have it this yr.
I tried the UMI DSL and had to shim it down so it didnt rub over big bumps. Although it would not work at all with my TDs. Any type that leaves room for an I pipe was a no go for me.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response guys. Not what I wanted to hear after spending the big bucks to mate the DSL from UMI to the sub-frame connectors (also from UMI and beautiful, fit like a dream, nice and tight to the floorpan and look fantastic in black powder coat with my pewter and black SS). You would think that for what they charge it would be a slam dunk fit! It's pretty but it doesn't work. UMI even LISTS my SLP exhaust as an exhaust it WILL work with. If that isn't a valid bitch I'd like to know what is?

Crap, now I've got to do some real work and make something that will fit and perform. Maybe it's time to get one of those universal ones and just fit it up and paint it black.

Anyone know if a universal loop would still double for the original factory brace? I guess I could just make up a piece of mild steel to bolt it to??? The original factory cross brace was simply stamped steel anyway, not like it was a real big deal to begin with.

Thanks again,
JT
Old 03-21-2010, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

I have the UMI Tunnel mounted DSL with 4'' mufflex with no issues of rubbing or banging at all.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JT1999CamaroSS
Thanks for the response guys. Not what I wanted to hear after spending the big bucks to mate the DSL from UMI to the sub-frame connectors (also from UMI and beautiful, fit like a dream, nice and tight to the floorpan and look fantastic in black powder coat with my pewter and black SS). You would think that for what they charge it would be a slam dunk fit! It's pretty but it doesn't work. UMI even LISTS my SLP exhaust as an exhaust it WILL work with. If that isn't a valid bitch I'd like to know what is?

Crap, now I've got to do some real work and make something that will fit and perform. Maybe it's time to get one of those universal ones and just fit it up and paint it black.

Anyone know if a universal loop would still double for the original factory brace? I guess I could just make up a piece of mild steel to bolt it to??? The original factory cross brace was simply stamped steel anyway, not like it was a real big deal to begin with.

Thanks again,
JT
Just get the one I linked you to and slot the holes a bit if needed. I tried the SLP, UMI, BMR, and the UMI tunnel mount TA with the DSL. This was the best fit, and ground clearance.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

our driveshaft loops are 95.00 shipped, come powdercoated in red or black. they don't hang low like these others and will clear most any torque arm.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Teching In

After looking at Smokedoutz28's pics I have to get back under the car and take another look. I've got the same peice, but it's mounted below (piggyback) on the UMI subframe connectors. I may be losing my clearance with that additional thickness of metal.

Once again, ain't that a bitch when you use a company (UMI) product like this and find out it doesn't fit together with it's own products?

This might open one option to cut the ring off and weld in a short (half inch?) bit of steel and touch up the paint. Thus utilizing the expensive part I've already bought. Then again, one of those cheap adjustable DSL's will probably do just fine and I can always paint it. Heck, no one ever really sees these things anyway.

Methinks there will be an email to UMI on this subject in my future.

Thanks guys for all the help and especially the photos. Those really help get an idea of what's workable/possible. Keep up the great work!
JT

Quick Reply: driveshaft safety loop, 4" exhaust question