Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Help* How to correctly measure engine angles on sloped floor.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Help* How to correctly measure engine angles on sloped floor.

Hey guys. I am getting to the point where to make my transmission crossmember for my mustang. I am very concerned about how to get the right measurements.

Right now the car is jacked up like the following:

Two jackstands on the rear lower torque box. I have shimmed the jackstands with steel plates to level the car side to side the best I could.

Then I have the two front jackstands on the front control arms and have the car leveled front to back. I used the front uni-body frame rail in the engine bay because the pinch welds are not straight all the way across.

I have a 5th jackstand under the pumpkin to take any stress off the back end. It is almost up to ride height.

Now I am worried about getting the 3 degree downward tilt right on the motor as well as getting the centerline of the motor and trans square in the car.

I was going to just put the jackstands on the suspension and measure the pinion angle and copy it on the transmission but I highly doubt the rear angles are correct anymore.

Can anyone correct me or give me more info on what steps I should take to ensure it is done properly.

Thank you, Steve
Old 03-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Teching In

The angle of the engine and trans should be 3 to 5 degrees in relation to the car(frame). Then if the rear axle is just a normal ujoint top and bottom, then the angles should match. Getting it all right takes some careful measuring and drawing it out on paper makes it a whole lot easier.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When setting the tilt angles the slope of the floor doesn't matter. The car doesn't need to be level either. All that matters is the slope of the trans has to match the slope of the rear pinion.

If you are also worried about getting them both square in the car than you can build an alignment tool out of some cheap laser pointers. I have posted links before.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

grab a pen and paper.
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/fi...roc_111606.pdf
http://prostreetcamaro.com/dshaft.shtml
Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've tried to explain this logic to people 10,000 times, those two articles are the best descriptions I have ever seen on the internet.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure I feel confident about the angles now. That was some good reading. Still a little concerned about getting it square in the chassis though.

Here is the link to what pop N wood was talking about. http://www.downivlife.com/random/Dif...gnmentTool.pdf

Last edited by Spoolinsteve; 03-09-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: *Help* How to correctly measure engine angles on sloped floor.