Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick battery question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick battery question

Hey guys I just got my trans am out of storage and the battery was dead when I picked it up. I jumped it and drove it home an hour but it was idling really weird, like it was having trouble staying on. When I turned the car off the car would not turn back on. I know the battery is done and I need to buy a new one tomorrow. But my question is would the battery cause the weird idling issue?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

ive had that same issue...battery first then shortly after the alternator took a ****....if you have the cash it would be best do jus replace both now.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

****, not what I wanted to hear but thanks best to know now before it goes. The U/D pulley prob. helped its demise.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

yea you might be able to slide with just a battery but when i had that issue it was only a few weeks before i was under the car in the auto zone parking lot swapping alternators with no jack...sucked.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Ok thanks a lot for the help. I will try the battery first and see if that straightens out the idle and will start the car if not.... looks like it will get a new alternator as well.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 AM
TECH Regular

(Sears Diehard Platinum!) Great battery.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stewaj11
Hey guys I just got my trans am out of storage and the battery was dead when I picked it up. I jumped it and drove it home an hour but it was idling really weird, like it was having trouble staying on. When I turned the car off the car would not turn back on. I know the battery is done and I need to buy a new one tomorrow. But my question is would the battery cause the weird idling issue?
How old is the battery? Throw the battery on a charger and fully recharge it. I had the same exact problem last year when I got mine out of storage and drove it home. Idle was off and if I let it sit for a couple minutes after I turned the car off, it wouldn't start back up. I just took the battery out of the car and charged it with a battery recharger then put it back in and it worked fine after that. No need to buy a new battery if it still is good, just don't have a good charge going to it.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to trickle charge it first, IMO
Old 03-09-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Kind of a similar thing happened to my winter car. Battery was dead after sitting all summer, so I jumped it. I started it up and went inside as I wanted the car to run for a little while. When I came back 10 mins later car was off.... i was like wtf? I go to start it again and it was completely dead, not even a burp. Turned out the battery needed to be replaced. I also feared the alternator being dead, but the car has been fine since November on the new battery. Im going to go ahead and guess same thing is going on here.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Well the results are in, I went to autozone and the battery tested dead. I bought a new duralast for the warranty and hooked it up. The car fired right up, so I turned it off and let it sit for a little while. And it turned on again so I am assuming everything is alright, the alternator is good. Thanks for everyones input! Now I get to seafoam, switch plugs, and change the oil, oh the joys of loving your car.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Just keep an eye on your volt meter, I don't think youll have any further problems
Old 03-09-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

****, not what I wanted to hear but thanks best to know now before it goes. The U/D pulley prob. helped its demise.
Actually the UD pulley should extend the life of the alternator.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Ya I have been when I come to a stop and it doesn't go below what is the mark in the middle? 11? the old battery would go all the way down so I def. think this fixed my problem. The old battery was from 2005.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya I have been when I come to a stop and it doesn't go below what is the mark in the middle? 11? the old battery would go all the way down so I def. think this fixed my problem. The old battery was from 2005.
13 volts
Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Might want to clean the cables and such at Both ends just to make sure you got a good connection. You can test your alt. to make sure it's puttin' out what it should.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah it's most likely ok with just a new battery. a few years ago the battery in my former winter/work car, a 95 subaru wagon wouldn't start the car after i got out of a job in chicago. i had to have it jumped. it was the middle of summer and a few mins later i was on a freeway in a traffic jam and the radio went off and then the AC stopped, then the traffic started moving again and they turned back on. i resorted to shifting to neutrol and revving the motor to keep the rpms up and the car running because i knew if it died it wasn't going to restart without another jump start and it was gonna cost me big bux for a tow or something. well once i got out of the bad traffic area i was able to drive all the way back to indiana and stopped at Sears for a new battery and didn't have any problems after that. so if you're lucky it's just the battery. on some cars the accessories run on the battery when the car is idling apparently.