Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Race Proven Motorsports: Cam Testing At Hendrick Motorsports

Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Race Proven Motorsports: Cam Testing At Hendrick Motorsports

Last Tuesday-Friday I was out of the shop. I was delivering a TT C6Z to a customer in NC and i also had to go over to Hendrick Motorsports for some Cam Testing.

Hendrick had called us a few months ago to order our RPM B3 Cam for Rick Hendricks personal C6Z with a YSI. They just got finished building the engine when he called us so we could come down and compare a cam GM gave him to try. We get there and the engine is on the engine dyno already. They added a second fuel pump to the setup they had. One wasn't enough. They had their own tuner there that does alot of tuning for them. The first test was with the GM cam. It was making about 850ish the first day. Air intake temps were at about 185 degrees. I brought a meth kit down with me because i figured they would need/want it. We switched over to speed density and installed the meth kit the second day. It brought AIT's down to about 50 degrees. The best pull the engine made 947hp and 792tq. The next morning we swapped in our cam. The B3 cam is 10 degrees smaller in duration on the intake and exh as the cam GM speced out.

The 3rd day we got the engine fired back up after checking pushrod length and piston to valve clearance. We had MORE than enough. I told all the guys i wanted to pick up 100 with our cam. They all laughed and looked at me like i was INSANE. Considering they fight for 3hp in their engines. First pull resulted 986hp and 815tq I was deff happy once i saw that with no tuning. We started to get AFR dialed in and power started picking up. Once we hit 1000 the shop went crazy. They said it has been at least 15 years since anything made 1000hp on a dyno there. It wouldn't surprise me since they only do nascar stuff which makes about 850. I told him i would have been happy with 1020 and 850 tq. The engine was responding very well. After we made 1000 it then made 1014 then 1015. We made another pull and had to back out early but it still made 1031hp and 855tq popped up on the screen. Everyone couldn't believe it. We saw fuel pressure drop so we backed out of it. We then figured out that one of the fuel pumps had died. I feel we could have made 1050 is we had a few more pulls to play with it and could add some timing. The GM cam didn't like anymore than 17 degrees with the meth and we have ran as much as 24 degrees with our cam on an VERY similar set up.

Forgot to add that our cam was over 10 degrees smaller on the intake and Exhaust.

The green line is the GM Cam. The red and black are the 1014 and 1015hp pulls and the blue is the 1031 pull.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
master of the "jack"stand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive. I bet it was fun to impress those guys. Imagine what they could do with 427 cubic inches and some boost when their NA 358 cube motors are inching up on 900 HP.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty good job showing up the Nascar boys and there own personal tuner. Uh I mean helping them learn.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Whats the Specs on this cam?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fastvet
Whats the Specs on this cam?
Ours is a 24X/25X on a 116. There was a 253/268 on a 110
Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

That must of been one of your career highlights.

Keep up the great work guys.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
Ours is a 24X/25X on a 116. There was a 253/268 on a 110
lol talk about night and day difference in cam selection..
Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
lol talk about night and day difference in cam selection..
Yeah,considering that GM furnished a cam that was far better suited for a NA engine. Why don't you compare these cams on a highly modified NA LS7 engine? Then let's see you talk some smack...please, this is not comparing apples to apples.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by david vericker
Yeah,considering that GM furnished a cam that was far better suited for a NA engine. Why don't you compare these cams on a highly modified NA LS7 engine? Then let's see you talk some smack...please, this is not comparing apples to apples.
GM knew the EXACT set up this cam was goin in. They picked that cam. That is comparing apples to apples.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

GM knew the EXACT set up this cam was goin in. They picked that cam. That is comparing apples to apples.
Sure like GM grinds a lot of cams for turbo applications...in your dreams!! You and I both know that the cam GM furnished is "FAR" better suited for a NA application. Like I said on my previous post,do a comparison NA. You'll lose because your cam is turbo (FI) specific and the GM cam is not.

I'm not knocking the results,your cam made great power and is ideally suited for it's intended application. I am only defending GM because they had the wrong dog in this fight. Especially when another supplier decided to do a cam comparison on a public forum using a proven turbo cam against an LS7 NA hot cam...not really cool in my opinion.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned

Sure like GM grinds a lot of cams for turbo applications...in your dreams!! You and I both know that the cam GM furnished is "FAR" better suited for a NA application. Like I said on my previous post,do a comparison NA. You'll lose because your cam is turbo (FI) specific and the GM cam is not.

I'm not knocking the results,your cam made great power and is ideally suited for it's intended application. I am only defending GM because they had the wrong dog in this fight. Especially when another supplier decided to do a cam comparison on a public forum using a proven turbo cam against an LS7 NA hot cam...not really cool in my opinion.
For one its a supercharged application. Two; do you not thing GM has any part in any of thier racing series? Rick hendrick im sure knows a few people high up in GM. Hendrick ASKED us to come down to test OUR cam. Do you think anyone can just go to hendrick and do cam tests? They bought our cam about 5 monthes ago when they started this project. I agree thier cam is not the best FI cam but its what they choose. From talking to the guys at hendrick they originally had it on a 106lsa then changed it to a 110 for the FI.

You make it sound like i had a car sales man at the local dealer pick this cam out.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

So the engine was supercharged?? If it was, isnt the 110 LSA that GM gave to try, too low for a supercharged car?? I thought you werent supposed to put anything lower than 114??
Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

For one its a supercharged application. Two; do you not thing GM has any part in any of thier racing series? Rick hendrick im sure knows a few people high up in GM. Hendrick ASKED us to come down to test OUR cam. Do you think anyone can just go to hendrick and do cam tests? They bought our cam about 5 monthes ago when they started this project. I agree thier cam is not the best FI cam but its what they choose. From talking to the guys at hendrick they originally had it on a 106lsa then changed it to a 110 for the FI.

You make it sound like i had a car sales man at the local dealer pick this cam out.
Like I previously noted,your cam makes outstanding power on a FI application,and if I was a looking to make a cam change for a FI engine then your cam would be at the top of my list!

It's just that GM gave Hendricks a cam that was apparently too the spec that was ordered (good NA cam)...right? So apparently the Hendricks guys or someone at GM isn't all that knowledgeable when it comes to FI and I'm sure that they (GM...Hendricks) were never intending to have a comparison made (shoot out) against another cam supplier made public. Now if you had reported (published) your performance results with only a side note about the GM cam then everything would have been cool. That's just my two cents...no additional comments to be made.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Banned

Like I previously noted,your cam makes outstanding power on a FI application,and if I was a looking to make a cam change for a FI engine then your cam would be at the top of my list!

It's just that GM gave Hendricks a cam that was apparently too the spec that was ordered (good NA cam)...right? So apparently the Hendricks guys or someone at GM isn't all that knowledgeable when it comes to FI and I'm sure that they (GM...Hendricks) were never intending to have a comparison made (shoot out) against another cam supplier made public. Now if you had reported (published) your performance results with only a side note about the GM cam then everything would have been cool. That's just my two cents...no additional comments to be made.
I completely understand where your coming from. I guess you just don't know the entire background of it. The plan all along was to test our cam against one GM speced out. Both parties knew what was going on.

I agree that their specs are not the best.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Race Proven Motorsports: Cam Testing At Hendrick Motorsports