Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-28-2016, 07:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Those with aftermarket speakers in their Camaro...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with aftermarket speakers in their Camaro...

Just like many of you out there, I am fed up with the fraile(sp) Monsoon speakers. Both of my subs are shot and it sounds like the fronts are on their way out too. I want to keep the H/U and the amp and don't want to rewire. I just want decent sound. I have read just about every post about this subject and now I want to really hone in on a solution. I want replacement speakers.

Question:
Who has had success in finding aftermarket speaker replacements for their CAMARO without rewiring, without running things in parallel, etc.? Just plug 'em in and go.

Rogue Leader had very good info on this subject. I would like to know if anyone has tried his approach, and if so, were you successful?

I notified Monsoon of this issue(told them this is a widespread issue) but don't expect a response.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I just don't want to waste anymore cash. I wish Monsoon would help us out with this.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in the exact same boat.. I just want something that sounds halfway decent during the short periods of time that I spend in the car. I don't consider myself so much the Audiophile that nothing will do me than to rip the entire stock system out and replace it all with aftermarket. So, anyhow My Front passenger Door Speaker blew and I've been living without it for several months now.. My question is:

Can I buy some of those Alpine SPS-170A and replace both fronts and have a decent sounding system?

Will the back Subs need to be changed because I replaced the fronts with a 4omh Speakers?

If after replacing the fronts, will they tend to run much Quieter than the backs ?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2003, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Things dont look good for you guys. I was in the same position about 2 months ago. I had just gotten my car, and one of my front speakers blew. I am in no means an audiophile either, just like to listen to music while I drive.

The way I saw it, I had three options. Sit on ebay for a few weeks until I found replacement speakers, buy different brand replacement speakers, or redo everything.

The first way isnt all that bad I guess, but the thing you have to ask yourself is this. If the speaker(s) blew once already, and in this short of a time period, should I really spend money on something that will more than likely occur again in the future? If you decide to go this route, I have a set of rear speakers(the "subs"), just let me know, but I honestly would not advise you to go that route.

Route #2. If you go this route you run into a specification problem. The monsoon amp is designed to run speakers with a different impedance than what you are going to buy, and because of this the monsoon amp wont do the speakers much good. I cant say from experience, but I would imagine its not much better than unamped speakers (speakers amped off the head unit). As to whether or not they would be quieter than the rear speakers Im not sure.

Option 3. You buy a real amp and real speakers. In all honesty, what you hear in the car should only be coming from the front stage, so you can get away with buying just front speakers and a small amp. They really arent that hard to install yourself, and if you decide to do that, just ask around and ppl on the boards can help you (myself included). I installed the first part of my system (amp, components) in about 5 hours, and I like to take my time.

To make a long post short (too late ), I went route 3 and now Im heavily into the car audio portion, but in the end I think I made the best decision. Im much happier now than I was with my monsoon.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

I agree with Sideway. I replaced my factory monsoon system with an A/V capable head unit, CD changer, two amps (720W 4 channel front, 1200W 5 channel rear), mobile DVD unit, 3 monitors (2 visor, 1 rear view mirror), satellite radio, 4 pairs of components, and a 15" sub. I spend about three hours a day getting to and from work, and I've never been happier. By the way, this whole setup cost less than $1500. PM me if you'd like the complete component list, including purchase locations. Be sure to leave yourself a few weekends for setup time, though.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes.. I understand what your saying about the options, etc but your both talking a lot of money here.. I'm in no way prepared to shell out that kinda of dough to listen to a little radio or a few CD's. Option 3 is what I'm so desperately trying to avoid!

I'm sure it's hard for you guys to understand that.. Even if the money were not a factor, I'm sure there's a compromise somewhere like losing the steering wheel controls without additonal gadgets, more wiring, etc. Like the original poster said.. I want something "plug 'em in and go"

Option 2 has possibilities.. Perhaps Rougue Leader will comment a bit more on what he did exactly.

Worse case I'll have to go option 1 and take my chances.. There's no way I'm spending more than $50-100 bucks on this nonsense!.

I realize this is probably a shock to you guys.. I suppose it would be like me going in the tech section here and telling all the hardcore Heads/Cam guys that their crazy for needing anything more than Stock power.. But honestly.. I've never been much of an Audiophile Like I mentioned that I'd require anything more than the stock setup. It sounds great to me so if I can improve on that by simply replacing some speakers or in this case fix the one I'm missing then COOL! I'm all for it but if it's going to be one of those Rip everything out, bypass this and that.. Whoa.. That's just way more than I require.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Stalker, I would think your best bet is to check out ebay and see if you can find a replacement speaker. There are a couple of auctions up now that have door speakers.

I honestly cant say what buying different speakers will sound like, because I never tried it, but I feel sure that somebody on here has...
Old 01-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Teching In

I took the cheap way out and I love the result... I only replaced the front speakers ( 1 blown) with Pioneer 6.75 inch 4 ohms speakers from Best Buy, and transplanted the 'alive' one to replace a blown subwoofer in the sail panel.

For $100 plus tax I have a much better sound, less distortion and more fun. You can read the details at:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=97
Old 01-14-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

mod maniac, no offense, but you should read the "sticky's" at the top of each forum before you start posting. all the answers to your questions are there in two of the posts this one should get you started, and the one underneath it should also help.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/126979-those-wanting-only-upgrade-speakers-camaro-s-come-here.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/105043-attn-people-who-want-replace-upgrade-monsoon-speakers.html
Old 01-14-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by StalkerLS1
Y
Option 2 has possibilities.. Perhaps Rougue Leader will comment a bit more on what he did exactly.
My whole post as tuffluck has posted, was intended to debunk the theory that hooking 4 ohm speakers to the 2 ohm output of the amp will sound like hell. It doesnt, it sounds very nice and you can see that by reading my thread above. You do NOT need $1500 in stereo equipment especially if youd rather spend it on your engine!
Old 01-14-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tuffluck
mod maniac, no offense, but you should read the "sticky's" at the top of each forum before you start posting. all the answers to your questions are there in two of the posts this one should get you started, and the one underneath it should also help.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126979

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105043
This was an old thread...check the dates, and besides I think he got exactly what he wanted answered in here. Nobody told him he had to pay 1.5k for a stereo to sound good.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the support, SidewayzOZ. You don't HAVE to spend anything but the cost of replacement speakers. But... it's really fun to have a sound/video system in a car that makes custom Escalade EXT owners cry!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
This was an old thread...check the dates, and besides I think he got exactly what he wanted answered in here. Nobody told him he had to pay 1.5k for a stereo to sound good.
Ya but my original thread is older
Old 01-14-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mhulslan
Thanks for the support, SidewayzOZ. You don't HAVE to spend anything but the cost of replacement speakers. But... it's really fun to have a sound/video system in a car that makes custom Escalade EXT owners cry!
Definitely

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Ya but my original thread is older
Good point, but I figured they were probably concerned since theirs have a diff sound system (I think, that whole 500 watt/250 watt monsoon thing is a bit confusing)
Old 01-22-2004, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

guys...a rewire in our cars is SO easy its not even worth wasting time talking about...our panels come off so easy...took me maybe 30 mins for the entire rewire..

Quick Reply: Those with aftermarket speakers in their Camaro...