Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Noisy spec stg 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy spec stg 3

I've gotta loud squealing noise almost like tire screeching coming from my trans/clutch area when i release the pedal/clutch is engaging. Ive got the aluminum flywheel with new slave and tick master when installed. I broke it in with the recommended 500 miles of city driving then it went straight on a dyno and have only made 3 or 4 passes with it at the track. I got about 8-10k miles on the setup now and its been making this noise about half the life of it. Noise started small and i just figured i had to get used to it and break it in, then got worse and worse along with some bone jarring chatter on engagement. I've asked ppl about the prob but gotten no real answer.
Anyone know what it is or what could be done? (besides replacing) It's getting to be a real pain not to mention embarassing cause i work in the city and the noise can be heard from outside the car everytime i stop and go in 1st gear. I'd hate to have to throw a new setup in it just yet. Any info at all would help. Thanks.

Last edited by SSINNER; 03-10-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Stage 3 uses a Carbon-semi-metallic disc material that can, in certain instances can make some noise. This is most common during cool weather and will generally lessen when the clutch and or the ambient temps increase. Have you noticed any change with temperature?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Stage 3 uses a Carbon-semi-metallic disc material that can, in certain instances can make some noise. This is most common during cool weather and will generally lessen when the clutch and or the ambient temps increase. Have you noticed any change with temperature?
Havent noticed anything lately except its been making the squealing noise more and more and if i dont get the exact throttle and clutch release down just right it chatters and shakes the car pretty good. Just dont want something to break when it does that.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM
FormerVendor

This noise and chatter was not an issue initially but has begun after 8-10K miles correct? It's possible that you have something on the disc (contamination) that is making this worse or that the unit has glased as a result of heat which would affect smoothness and or noise as well.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know exactly what you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine is doing the same damn thing... it sounds like metal bending from a sci fi movie when slowly feathering it into first gear just trying to "putt" around...

It's embarrassing as hell... It's really really LOUD to!

I've been told it's because the clutch is of a "puck" design, but seriously this sound is ridiculous... it's not small or barely noticeable like people have been playing it off.

I plan on recording a video of mine in a day or two...

Temperature does seem to play a roll in it... I notice the noise much louder and consistent when the car is cold, and when it warms up it tapers off a bit and is a little bit quieter but never goes away completely.

I have a Clutchmasters Stg. III assembly with a Centerforce DFX disk and an aluminum flywheel
Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Teching In

This noise and chatter was not an issue initially but has begun after 8-10K miles correct? It's possible that you have something on the disc (contamination) that is making this worse or that the unit has glased as a result of heat which would affect smoothness and or noise as well.
The noise started thousands of miles ago but the chatter wasnt there like it is now. The noise is rediculous and the chatter makes me think somethings gonna give and break sometimes. Its been recently that its all gotten worse and almost unbareable. Chatter will go away mostly after some driving but the squeal is always there. Havent noticed a big change with the weather getting warmer lately. Been in the 50's here almost 60 but i work nights when its colder if that makes a difference.

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I know exactly what you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine is doing the same damn thing... it sounds like metal bending from a sci fi movie when slowly feathering it into first gear just trying to "putt" around...

It's embarrassing as hell... It's really really LOUD to!

I've been told it's because the clutch is of a "puck" design, but seriously this sound is ridiculous... it's not small or barely noticeable like people have been playing it off.

I plan on recording a video of mine in a day or two...

Temperature does seem to play a roll in it... I notice the noise much louder and consistent when the car is cold, and when it warms up it tapers off a bit and is a little bit quieter but never goes away completely.

I have a Clutchmasters Stg. III assembly with a Centerforce DFX disk and an aluminum flywheel
HAHA im glad someone knows exactly what im experiencing. Kinda sounds like your smoking the tires on the street everytime your feathering into 1st gear. Realy obnoxious and embarassing cause everyone can hear it. A video would be awsome.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wrd1972
My Spec 3+ does it too. Mostly downshifting into 1st and 2nd but never upshifting. Sounds like whirrring whirring sound. that is getting worse too. kind of sounds like a busted power steering pump. Friggin hate.

It is 2 years old too. It must be the faster disk speed vs. the flywheel speed during the downshift because I cant imagine the tranny or engine could make this sound and not have stuff blow up.

I can also feel it it cause it vibrates like Hell when it does it. As far as weather, it has been very cold recently and I have not noticed to near the degree that I have noticed it today and it was nearly 70 degrees. I would also expect the flywheel, disk and PP to generate heat due to friction that well exceeds ambient temps.

Is there any chance this is the tranny. It makes no ill sounds any other time other than down shifting?
that sounds like a different problem then what sinner and myself are experiencing... i could be wrong though...
Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I cant see it being a tranny bearing or it would do it all the time. I dont see how a worn pilot bearing could cause that intense of a noise. Cant see it being a TOB.

Say I am driving 20 MPH and I full push the clutch. While the pedal is pressed, the noise starts as soon as you start moving the shifter from third to second or second to first.

You know that sound you hear when you turn the steering wheel to either the full left or full right position and the power steering pump squeals. It sounds like that.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Well I cant see it being a tranny bearing or it would do it all the time. I dont see how a worn pilot bearing could cause that intense of a noise. Cant see it being a TOB.

Say I am driving 20 MPH and I full push the clutch. While the pedal is pressed, the noise starts as soon as you start moving the shifter from third to second or second to first.

You know that sound you hear when you turn the steering wheel to either the full left or full right position and the power steering pump squeals. It sounds like that.
hmmm... now that you mention it, I had a problem that sounds similiar to that years ago. Ended up being a slightly chewed up input shaft...
Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

hmmm... now that you mention it, I had a problem that sounds similiar to that years ago. Ended up being a slightly chewed up input shaft...
Chewed up where?
The little nub that slips into the pilot bushing?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

yea the splines were chewed up...
Old 03-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Teching In

that sounds like a different problem then what sinner and myself are experiencing... i could be wrong though...
I agree that seems to be different than what i got goin on.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Banned

i got a spec stage 3 in my car and it dont make any noise what so ever. i know its a completely different car though.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

I have now convinced myself that it is not the clutch causing my noise.

This is starting to sound like a bad bearing. After asking around locally, many agree its the input shaft bearing. I am going to pull the tranny and look at the pilot too. At least that will be an easy diagnosis.

Last edited by wrd1972; 03-12-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:19 AM
TECH Junkie

ya know.... I was thinking about it earlier today and recalled about 3 clutch swaps back that this noise has indeed happened before to me on a previous clutch. If I remember correctly what was happening was the small springs that are in the clutch disk (like 5 of them) were actually rubbing and contacting the flywheel. The springs were either too big, or at a certain point when the clutch pad wears down, the springs made contact with the flywheel, scraping and sqealing whenever taking off...

This could very well be the same problem I'm having over again....
Old 03-12-2010, 08:14 AM
FormerVendor

Just thinking logically about the issue, if you were having an issue associated with the springs contacting the flywheel the noise would not be triggered by moving the shifter. It would be there, when ever the clutch pedal were depressed, and thus the clutch disc were released.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Just thinking logically about the issue, if you were having an issue associated with the springs contacting the flywheel the noise would not be triggered by moving the shifter. It would be there, when ever the clutch pedal were depressed, and thus the clutch disc were released.
I'm not having a noise moving the shifter... mines just making a sqealing noise when feathering it into gear by slowly taking off...
Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 PM
FormerVendor

I understand that...but, WRD mentioned this in his tpost. Sound during engagement is not unexpected. However, if you want me to examine the parts let me know and I will be happy to issue an RMA#. Thanks,
Old 03-12-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Ah I see... Thanks for the offer Jeremy, but unless you wanna give me a new Spec clutch for my returned Clutchmasters/Centerforce hybrid clutch I don't think that would work out in your favor too well
Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Besides the squealing noise durring engagement, has anyone else experienced a really stiff clutch with a stg 3 spec and tick master?? Mine feels like your trying to push down on a soccer ball. I got used to it after many cramps in my calf and it just makes the car a major pain in traffic.

Quick Reply: Noisy spec stg 3