Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Mounting Chevy Silverado radio . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mounting Chevy Silverado radio . . . .

So I picked up my new 1998 Z28 drop top, it came stock with a tape player.

The previous owner had purchased a CD player from an early 2000's Chevy truck, it looks just like the radio used in our Camaros. I took the old one out, the plug is exactly the same. Mounting brackets are completely different.

The stock tape player has little ears on the sides that go in with two bolts holding it. The new one had some plastic tab things on the side that I had to take off because it was too big to fit in there otherwise. Right now I just have it loosely sitting in there with the trim piece back on holding it in place. It does skip over big bumps because it isn't tied down.

The guy at my stereo shop said his mounting kit won't work, and that I should maybe buy some plumbing strap and try to make some sort of mount.

Any ideas on how I should get this thing to mount?

Also looking for some recommendations on 6.5" coaxial speakers, looking to spend under $100 a pair for new front and rear speakers.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Can't you attach the original Camaro brackets to the truck radio? You might have to (carefully) drill and tap some holes in the sides.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Can't you attach the original Camaro brackets to the truck radio? You might have to (carefully) drill and tap some holes in the sides.
I thought about that, but there is this huge heat sink on the right side where the right ear would attach. I might end up taking the cases of each radio off and swapping them out, leave the guts and faceplates the same.