New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about my 2002 SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Questions about my 2002 SS

I appreciate any and all insight that you guys offer..

I bought a 2002 Camaro SS with CME and some other SLP options, with 20,500 miles on it, just two weeks ago.

The car needed some work, Tires all the way around,the ones on their were dry rotted(They were new, it was a shame), I need a new oil pan gasket, a rear differential pinion seal, and brakes and rotors all the way around. I had it inspected at a Chevy dealership before I bought this and the dealer said these items needed to be repaired. Reason being, the car wasn't driven enough..

The seller and I agreed on a price, plus him paying for the fixes. So, I got all the above Items mentioned fixed, but today, I blew my rear end out driving on the highway. I was only going 65mph, I only put 50 miles on this car since I picked it up two weeks ago, so I haven't beat the car, or driven it hard.

My questions are, Wouldn't the dealership known this was going to happen, or be a problem when it was inspected?? Rear end, I'm refering to.

Then when the dealership changed the rear differential pinion seal, wouldn't they notice if something was wrong with the rear end? Or they two different areas of the rear??

The dealership I have it at now, said the rear oil is black, and they have to take it part to check out the situation(It could either cost me 600, or 1600). So when it was first inspected, wouldn't they know the oil is black, and shouldn't they have said something??

I'm just frustrated that I just got this car, and I only have put 50 miles on it, and it's been in the shop more then road.

What else should I have looked at it while it's at the dealership???
I had them change the oil, when it was there on Monday..

Thanks again.

I really appreciate any insight on these matters..

House.

It feels like the first dealership that did the inspection(In another state, where the car was Located), screwed me. Unless, they don't look at all that stuff. On the sheet it says inspected differential and it was fine, so I don't know..

Sorry for the rant, it's be a depressing day.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there's a reason they're called stealerships
Old 03-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy fix... Just get a used 10 bolt w/ the same gear and the same channel (3 or 4).
Old 03-11-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A car with only 20,500 mi should not have black oil in the diff. I wonder if the mileage is legit or someone replaced the diff fluid with the wrong type at some point. To really report on the condition of the rear, the inspection cover would have to come off. At that point, excess metal (shiny) flakes or chunks (obviously) indicate a problem. If no prob noted, someone would still have to pay for new fluid, gasket (or sealant) and additive - this would be on the inspection/repair sheet for sure - mechanic would want to be paid for his time! Cars that sit do experience leaky gaskets due to shrinkage, the coolant turns acidic (with associated problems), rotten tires as you noted, but the rear having BLACK oil and then blowing up? An inspec with cover off WOULD have revealed broken spider gears etc. Like "bene" said, try sourcing a new/used rear or a better one -I know, its just money... ha ha. Yea, this sucks, makes you second guess so many things! Youll get er sorted!

Last edited by pewter2002; 03-11-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: clarify grammar!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

it sucks but it happens. id get some 3.73s while its apart.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You probably don't want to hear this but best bet would be to upgrade to a 9 inch or 12 bolt and forget about your old rear. Not a cheap fix but you will be safe to add more power in the future.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by House72
I appreciate any and all insight that you guys offer..

I bought a 2002 Camaro SS with CME and some other SLP options, with 20,500 miles on it, just two weeks ago.

The car needed some work, Tires all the way around,the ones on their were dry rotted(They were new, it was a shame), I need a new oil pan gasket, a rear differential pinion seal, and brakes and rotors all the way around. I had it inspected at a Chevy dealership before I bought this and the dealer said these items needed to be repaired. Reason being, the car wasn't driven enough..

The seller and I agreed on a price, plus him paying for the fixes. So, I got all the above Items mentioned fixed, but today, I blew my rear end out driving on the highway. I was only going 65mph, I only put 50 miles on this car since I picked it up two weeks ago, so I haven't beat the car, or driven it hard.

My questions are, Wouldn't the dealership known this was going to happen, or be a problem when it was inspected?? Rear end, I'm refering to.

Then when the dealership changed the rear differential pinion seal, wouldn't they notice if something was wrong with the rear end? Or they two different areas of the rear??

The dealership I have it at now, said the rear oil is black, and they have to take it part to check out the situation(It could either cost me 600, or 1600). So when it was first inspected, wouldn't they know the oil is black, and shouldn't they have said something??

I'm just frustrated that I just got this car, and I only have put 50 miles on it, and it's been in the shop more then road.

What else should I have looked at it while it's at the dealership???
I had them change the oil, when it was there on Monday..

Thanks again.

I really appreciate any insight on these matters..

House.

It feels like the first dealership that did the inspection(In another state, where the car was Located), screwed me. Unless, they don't look at all that stuff. On the sheet it says inspected differential and it was fine, so I don't know..

Sorry for the rant, it's be a depressing day.

Roadhouse!

That does suck, but I agree with the 9" or 12 bolt. Stealership is gonna bone you hard on the price of the 10 bolt, might as well spend a bit more and upgrade.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:33 PM

Thanks guys for the insight and thoughts..

Yea, the stealership has me by the *****, I don't really trust any other mechs to do the work, not that I trust the dealership either, but I don't have the tools or experience to do this work. I been reading up about the rear ends, they seem to be weak from the get go from GM..

Do you guys think I should be looking for anything else to fail or break on this car, since it's been sitting for a while. I'm just really bummed out, and expecting something else now to break.. I know anything can break at any given moment, but maybe I should have other things looked at too.. I just want to get out and drive..

Thanks again..

House..

I liked the Roadhouse comment, that was a great movie.. lol
Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by pewter2002
A car with only 20,500 mi should not have black oil in the diff. I wonder if the mileage is legit or someone replaced the diff fluid with the wrong type at some point. To really report on the condition of the rear, the inspection cover would have to come off. At that point, excess metal (shiny) flakes or chunks (obviously) indicate a problem. If no prob noted, someone would still have to pay for new fluid, gasket (or sealant) and additive - this would be on the inspection/repair sheet for sure - mechanic would want to be paid for his time! Cars that sit do experience leaky gaskets due to shrinkage, the coolant turns acidic (with associated problems), rotten tires as you noted, but the rear having BLACK oil and then blowing up? An inspec with cover off WOULD have revealed broken spider gears etc. Like "bene" said, try sourcing a new/used rear or a better one -I know, its just money... ha ha. Yea, this sucks, makes you second guess so many things! Youll get er sorted!
I carfaxed it, and according the records it's legit the mileage.. Thanks for the info.. SO I should also get the coolant flushed and replaced too??
Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys for the insight and thoughts..

Yea, the stealership has me by the *****, I don't really trust any other mechs to do the work, not that I trust the dealership either, but I don't have the tools or experience to do this work. I been reading up about the rear ends, they seem to be weak from the get go from GM..

Do you guys think I should be looking for anything else to fail or break on this car, since it's been sitting for a while. I'm just really bummed out, and expecting something else now to break.. I know anything can break at any given moment, but maybe I should have other things looked at too.. I just want to get out and drive..

Thanks again..

House..

I liked the Roadhouse comment, that was a great movie.. lol
If you saw the Family Guy episode where Peter watched Roadhouse, then the episode where Hugh Laurie guest stared as his House Charactor, it would be even funnier.

As for the car, fluid change everything. Really only way to be safe.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by rtr2001ss
If you saw the Family Guy episode where Peter watched Roadhouse, then the episode where Hugh Laurie guest stared as his House Charactor, it would be even funnier.

As for the car, fluid change everything. Really only way to be safe.
Thanks, I had the oil changed on Monday. So, I will tell them change the other fluids as well when I talk to them(dealer) tomorrow..

Thanks again..

I really appreciate it guys for all the posts...
Old 03-11-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

you sure it wasn't in a flood?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 06 SS
you sure it wasn't in a flood?
I'm not sure if your serious or not, so I will say No, I'm not sure. I think though that would show up on carfax report right?? Since it would cost a few thousand to fix.. I mean the interior is immaculate, the leather is still stiff, and smells brand new..

If you were going for the sarcasm angle, like on the carfax report commercials, then, lol.. If not, why would say flood????
Old 03-11-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

20,000 miles is low, but its not like it hasnt moved the past 8 years. thats weird that the rear end is in such bad shape.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by wowsers
20,000 miles is low, but its not like it hasnt moved the past 8 years. thats weird that the rear end is in such bad shape.
Yes, I know. I'm dissapointed, upset and frustrated.. It sucks, but not much I can do now. Just get fixed and hope for the best..
Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealership I have it at now, said the rear oil is black, and they have to take it part to check out the situation(It could either cost me 600, or 1600).
F*ck this. Don't pay anywhere near that for stock parts.
Originally Posted by bene
Easy fix... Just get a used 10 bolt w/ the same gear and the same channel (3 or 4).
Do this for 2-300 bucks and put it in yourself. It's pretty easy.

Originally Posted by COPO9560
You probably don't want to hear this but best bet would be to upgrade to a 9 inch or 12 bolt and forget about your old rear. Not a cheap fix but you will be safe to add more power in the future.
If you're dying to spend the almost 2G's for a new rear or you are gonna mod like crazy, I would do this and never look back/worry again.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is the car a m6 or auto?, if m6 upgrade now to a 9" or 12 bolt, if auto you should be able to get away with another 10 bolt till you do more stuff.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Diff seal, brakes, and pan gasket shouldn't go bad from a car that sits like yours has. My '98 has only 15k miles and I don't have any of those issues.

Addtionally, I'm surprised to hear that the diff fluid was so dirty. I changed mine at 11k miles when I bought the car, just to inspect the rear, and the original fluid was super clean. Can't see how it'd get that dirty in just 9k more miles. My guess is, if the pinion seal was leaking badly enough, the diff was probably low on fluid for a while now. This low fluid condition may have lead to excessive gear wear and overheating of the fluid (explains it being darker than it should) resulting in your broken rear.

Overall, I wouldn't have any fear of a super low mileage car so long as it was stored and cared for properly. Only real concern is the coolant, IMO. I would flush that ASAP if it's never been done. I do regular coolant changes on my '98 just to avoid the sludge effect that comes with old dexcool. So far my routine has worked great - 12 year old cooling system with 100% stock parts that's clean as a whistle, operates perfectly and doesn't leak.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-12-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Diff seal, brakes, and pan gasket shouldn't go bad from a car that sits like yours has. My '98 has only 15k miles and I don't have any of those issues.

Addtionally, I'm surprised to hear that the diff fluid was so dirty. I changed mine at 11k miles when I bought the car, just to inspect the rear, and the original fluid was super clean. Can't see how it'd get that dirty in just 9k more miles. My guess is, if the pinion seal was leaking badly enough, the diff was probably low on fluid for a while now. This low fluid condition may have lead to excessive gear wear and overheating of the fluid (explains it being darker than it should) resulting in your broken rear.
Overall, I wouldn't have any fear of a super low mileage car so long as it was stored and cared for properly. Only real concern is the coolant, IMO. I would flush that ASAP if it's never been done. I do regular coolant changes on my '98 just to avoid the sludge effect that comes with old dexcool. So far my routine has worked great - 12 year old cooling system with 100% stock parts that's clean as a whistle, operates perfectly and doesn't leak.

Exactly what I was thinking. And just go ahead and change ALL your fluids so you can get on a maintenance schedule....
Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the posts guys. I appreciate it..

Yea, I will have the fluids changed. I had the oil changed monday. So I will get the Coolant system flushed, as well as, the tranny fluid..

The differential fluid will be changed when they fix the rear end..

Should the breakline fluid be changed as well?? Or just the above mentioned fluids are fine??

Thanks

House..

This is a great site, you guys are very helpful and friendly..