Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to measure oil temp - LS7 with Dry Sump

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to measure oil temp - LS7 with Dry Sump

I'm wondering how to best measure the oil temp on an LS7 with Dry Sump oil pan.

I'm thinking of drilling and tapping the dry sump oil pan to insert a temperature sender in order to monitor the actual oil temp "just after use."
I wonder if this is a good idea or not. (Is there enough oil in the oil pan to get a reliable measurement during operation?)

The alternative is to monitor the oil temp in the dry sump tank but this will only tell me the approx temp of the oil going back into the engine.

Can anyone provide advise or alternate ideas?

Thanks
Pete
Old 03-13-2010, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

good ? i would also like 2 know
Old 03-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think the pan is the place to do it - immersion of the sensor may be sporadic. I would either weld a boss on the bypass plate attached above the filter on the pan, or I would buy a lingenfelter adaptor plate which bolts down in the same spot.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

My LS7 is a wet sump, however we tried measuring from the Canton thermostat housing but the readings were high.
I researched the topic and found that the most accurate readings were in the pan itself.
Made a bung and now got steady accurate readings.
My$.02 fwtw
Old 03-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Teching In

I think that the oil pan would be an ideal place to measure the actual oil temp from the engine if possible.

Q: Does anyone know if the stock LS7 Dry Sump oil pan contains enough oil during operation to obtain a reasonably accurate temp measurement?

I think that installing a sender in the bypass plate is more or less equivalent to measuring the temp in the oil tank?
Old 03-15-2010, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Maybe Jason@katech would know?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

If this is a dry sump you could get a fairly accurate reading at the "in" port on the oil canister. You would just have to find a fitting that you could attach to a sending unit
Old 03-16-2010, 04:01 AM
Teching In

Thats an interesting idea. But I think that if the amount of oil in the oil pan is sporatic, the oil entering the dry sump tank would also be sporatic. If that's the case, it would be far easier to just drill and tap the oil pan to install a temp sender.

I guess it comes down to determining if the oil pan has enough oil in it during operation to provide a reasonably accurate temp reading...

Quick Reply: Best place to measure oil temp - LS7 with Dry Sump