Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about T-Top tint/shades

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about T-Top tint/shades

Would 5% tint on the t-tops be effective from fading the seats and protecting the interior from the UV rays? Or would it be better to get shades for that? I love seeing through the t-tops, but I will get the shades if they are a LOT better at protecting the interior than 5% tint.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well shades are 100% effective. But I would think 5% would be pretty damn good! Sun better be out to see through the tops:>
Old 03-13-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

id just do the shades.. i did 5 % and you can barly see through them now.. i just think the shades would be more worth it and would work better imo
Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jb98camaro
id just do the shades.. i did 5 % and you can barly see through them now.. i just think the shades would be more worth it and would work better imo
I disagree. i had the shades and now have 5% and they are pretty much just as affective and it looks much better being able to see out the tops all the time. even at night i can still see out my tops with 5%
Old 03-13-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have no real input.. But I love my T-tops tinted; 5%
Old 03-13-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

I just got a quote of $50 ($25 per t-top). Not bad. I just hope it will protect the interior as close as shades will. I know shades will do it better, but I like the open feeling and being able to see through them. Day visibility is still pretty good?

I don't mind if you can't see THAT much during the night as long as you can still see out somewhat. As Torched02TA put it in another post, "I'm not going to try to look for the big dipper".
Old 03-13-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

you can also go darker than 5% by having them double it, allowing practically NO light at all. i've heard of quite a few people doing double 5% and they really like it. some people on hear have also said that the tint shops they went to carried 2% or 2.5% tint, so you can also check on that.

if you like to see out of the windows, your decision should be clear... tint it. shades will clearly void that option.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 03-13-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
you can also go darker than 5% by having them double it, allowing practically NO light at all. i've heard of quite a few people doing double 5% and they really like it. some people on hear have also said that the tint shops they went to carried 2% or 2.5% tint, so you can also check on that.

if you like to see out of the windows, your decision should be clear... tint it. shades will clearly void that option.
That is true, but if you think about the factory T-tops already have a factory tint to it.. Maybe like 15% give or take. So if you go another 5% on that, the t-top is allowing <1% light thru.. No need to double up
Old 03-13-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
I disagree. i had the shades and now have 5% and they are pretty much just as affective and it looks much better being able to see out the tops all the time. even at night i can still see out my tops with 5%
i cant see **** out mine at night.. 5% made mine like .01%(just an exaggeration) i would almost say if you want a good dark tint then try 10% sense there already something close with the stock tint. i think it would still be dark but you could see more. but ya its all opinion and what suits ya best ya know
Old 03-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Hey I have 5% on one set of t-tops and it is nice but in the middle of the summer the sun still makes me sweat with the windows up and the a/c on hi. lol my other set was painted black b4 I got them and it is nice to have them when you want them in to block all the sun. I am thinking of getting a new set of shades if i scrape the paint off. My best friend had a t/a with the shades and the wind inside the car would always make them bobble around when he had the windows down. was that an old design? i would really like to get a set if i know they wont rumble around. thanks
Old 03-13-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tmc2k1
I just got a quote of $50 ($25 per t-top). Not bad. I just hope it will protect the interior as close as shades will. I know shades will do it better, but I like the open feeling and being able to see through them. Day visibility is still pretty good?

I don't mind if you can't see THAT much during the night as long as you can still see out somewhat. As Torched02TA put it in another post, "I'm not going to try to look for the big dipper".
you can also save some money and tint them yourself.. its not that hard to do. even i did it
Old 03-13-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MR01Z28
my other set was painted black b4 I got them and it is nice to have them when you want them in to block all the sun.
the t-tops on both of my cars are painted black. i did my camaro's like 3 years ago and i did the T/A's when i got it back in august, and i love it. i personally, i dont care much for seeing out of the tops while i'm driving (i look at the road). on nice days, i take the tops off to let the air in all the time though.

I also have the shades for both of my cars as well. the only reason i painted them was because after a series of REALLY hot days a few summers ago, i had problems with the velcro coming loose due to the high heat-- the velcro holding the shades to the glass. i replaced the velcro a couple times but the problem just got to be a hassle. so i said f*ck it. gave em a nice paint job and it still looks perfect 3 years later.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Hey I have 5% on one set of t-tops and it is nice but in the middle of the summer the sun still makes me sweat with the windows up and the a/c on hi. lol my other set was painted black b4 I got them and it is nice to have them when you want them in to block all the sun. I am thinking of getting a new set of shades if i scrape the paint off. My best friend had a t/a with the shades and the wind inside the car would always make them bobble around when he had the windows down. was that an old design? i would really like to get a set if i know they wont rumble around. thanks
I was sold on getting them tinted until I saw this. It wont even be enough to keep you cool in the summer even with the AC? I live in Florida so the summers are definitely harsh. I like the open feeling, but I don't want to sweat my *** off as a trade-off. I thought 5% would definitely keep it cool enough? Hmmm
Old 03-13-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I bought some OEM ebony shades in perfect condition for $20 shipped from someone on here. At that price I could not resist. I like them a lot and if I want to take them off on a cloudy or rainy day I can.. although if I didn't have shades I would settle for 5% tint
Old 03-13-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

I was sold on getting them tinted until I saw this. It wont even be enough to keep you cool in the summer even with the AC? I live in Florida so the summers are definitely harsh. I like the open feeling, but I don't want to sweat my *** off as a trade-off. I thought 5% would definitely keep it cool enough? Hmmm
I got mine done in AZ and it was enough for me. it does definately keep the interior cooler especially if you use a sunshade for the windshield while the car is parked
Old 03-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Mine has the shades, and they don't move around or anything when I have my windows down, even when im doing highway speeds. I have them on most of the time, only take the shades out when its cloudy or at night if im in the mood for some sky viewing
Old 03-13-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
I got mine done in AZ and it was enough for me. it does definately keep the interior cooler especially if you use a sunshade for the windshield while the car is parked
1995blacktattop is right on that. its quite a noticeable difference in temperature
Old 03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

jb, would you rather ditch the tint and go sun shades?

I will probably go tint. If the 5% tint on t-tops were good enough for Arizona heat then I am sure they will be fine for Florida heat! Thank you guys for your help!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

jb, would you rather ditch the tint and go sun shades?

I will probably go tint. If the 5% tint on t-tops were good enough for Arizona heat then I am sure they will be fine for Florida heat! Thank you guys for your help!
ha nah im too lazy to change it. and my tint was prob alot cheaper then goin with the shades... so im just gunna stick with it lol and ya man no problem!!

Quick Reply: Question about T-Top tint/shades