Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trasn Holds Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trasn Holds Shifts

I'm not sure I posted in the right spot but the auto trans in my 98 Z holds each gear under full throtle until I let off the gas. My question is could that be in the tune or in the trans.

I had Frost tune it with outstanding results. I was told the car has an LS6 cam in it but it seems to fall on its face around 5800-6000 rpm. Sounds like a stock cam to me. Should I have Frost re-tune the car with a stock cam? or just look at some of the transmission parameters?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you told me it had an LS6 cam and the cam is stock, I'd say that would be a very bad thing. Not knowing what you actually have ends the usefulness of mail order tuning as well.

If you have a stock cam and an auto tuned for an LS6, your car is going to over-rev to valve float on the stock springs. It may not take too many times before something really bad happens.

Pretty much, you can pull it down and find out what you have, or you can take it to a tuner to tune in person with a wideband and a dyno.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Frost .... Thats exactally whats it feels like its doing, floating valves. When I get some time I'll take it out and send it back to you. I love the tune you put on it, it made a massive difference, and I knocked down 20.9 mpg on my last tank of gas too.

I guess thats what happens when you buy a used car. Never know what your going to get. I'm still new to this F-body stuff, I have no idea the difference between an LS6 cam and a stock cam. I always though in th eback of my head it was a stock cam, since it sounds normal, but then again I dont know what an LS6 cam sounds like anyway.