Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

?'s For those with Bosch/Eurolights housings.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ?'s For those with Bosch/Eurolights housings.....

I want to change to modern light housings on my 98 T/A. I want to just get them in with white halogens now, and after much more research, add an el cheapo HID kit with a lot of tweaking on my part to make it safe for other drivers.

I've heard the Bosch are superior to the eurolights in beam pattern, for both halogen and jury-rigged HID setups.

But what about high beams? Bosch actually did make a high beam housing to go along with the 4703's that rallylights has.....and it WAS different... but the last set was bought a couple months ago by a guy on the chevy truck forums.

I'm trying to decide which will be the best option, for halogens now and MAYBE HID's later on. I've got the following possibilities:

-Cut up a sylvania parts store 4701

-Eurolights 4701 housings

-"LMC Truck" branded 4701 housings (dunno who actually made these??

-Bosch 4703's in the high beam positions, aimed differently

What do you guys think? I'm still trying to decide here, and I'm finding a lot more info on low beams than high beams.

I realize too that HID's are traditionally a low beam thing, but I've been playing with a few different theories that might include HID high beams. I like it when the headlights all match in color, and I want the high beams to still work. At least, be brighter/farther reaching than my lows, otherwise they're pointless!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Pass on the eurolights. No focusing, cutoff or beam control at all. It's one upgrade I've done that I want to upgrade again.

I think Hella made housings but I can't find them.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:08 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input! Given that you've actually had the eurolights.....

Can you see whether or not there is any actual difference in the light itself versus, say, the reflector shape and lens of a standard sealed beam casing?

I'm pretty much sure now that for the low beam side I'll definitely be using the bosch housings, but I still find it hard to get info on the high beams. I don't understand exactly what makes the lens/reflector more "designed" for a high beam versus a low beam application. I can't tell if there's any actual benefit to something like a eurolights casing for just the highs, or if I can just slam the halogen bulbs into 4701 sylvania casings and get the same effect?
Old 03-14-2010, 07:05 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I said it all here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/12628096-post665.html
Old 03-14-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have eurolights and are very happy with them...HID in both hi and lo beams (as well as fogs.)
Old 03-14-2010, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Mr. Bell - Awesome info, that's exactly the kind of definitive answer I've been looking for!

Ramsst - I'll search around for more of your posts, but how well would you say the whole system works? IE, does kicking on the high beam actually extend your eyesight further down the road? Or does it tend to just make things in the low beam light path brighter? Did you use one of those "bixenon" kits with a built in motorized cutoff shield?

I've seen around here that guys with the bosch housings actually seem to get a pretty decent cutoff for just slamming a bulb in there...

So now I think I can wipe eurolights off the list, that leaves me with either 4 bosch housings, chopping up my own sealed beams, or these other conversion housings i'm seeing on the net, LMC truck or another one by "pilot"???

Mr. Bell - this might seem like a stupid question, but how does the eurolights "4701" compare to a regular sealed beam housing? The thing I'm wondering is, can I start with that bucket, and maybe split it apart so that I could put on the lens from a 4701 sealed beam such that it would work more like it's supposed to?

Man, I wish those bosch 4701's were still available!

I'm trying if I can to setup all 4 lights such that they have quickly changable bulbs. I don't mind RTVing bulbs into sealed beam housings if that will truly give me the performance I am looking for, but the idea of the mismatch seems weird to me. At that point I'm not sure that theres a benefit to the bosch housings?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Ok, I did some more research. I want to try and phrase this question more directly, rather than blast all my thoughts out like I usually do!

I'm 90% decided that I will be using Bosch e-code housings in the low beam positions. HID is also not part of the plan anymore, I'm talking strictly in terms of performance with halogen bulbs.

Which housing would you guys recommend for the HIGH BEAM position?

And does one particular kind of bulb offer an advantage over the other?

Options:

1.Eurolights (H7 bulb but clearly an identical housing to the low beam)

2.Bosch housings (H4 bulb, but I think they're intended for a high beam mostly?)

3.LMC truck branded lights (Don't know who makes these, the quality, or what bulb, but they appear to be different than eurolights, and highs and lows appear to be different from eachother. Can be found by googling lmc truck, it's page 65 of their online catalog)

4."part number 4701sbck" (found on several websites just by googling "4703 sealed beam conversion", uses a 9006 bulb, poor pictures and little info available about them)
Old 03-15-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the Eurolights housing just last week. Good product, easy install, and I'm happy with the results. Just ordered HIDs to put in them today, in fact.

Quick Reply: ?'s For those with Bosch/Eurolights housings.....