Maximum power @WOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Maximum power @WOT

I´m new in tuning, We are using HP-tuners
And we wante to learn

just wondering i don´t have access to DYNO, so how can i know where my car has maximum horsepower@wot.

Then i´m looking into timing and fuel AFR. right ?
Or should i looke into something else.??? too

Is the baseline as much timing as you can with out a knock or?

i have seen that some people claim that too much timing (tough your not knocking) can not always be better.... "IS That right" ??

HOW should i do this?

i´m running N/A ....

Baezi
Old 03-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by baezi z06
I´m new in tuning, We are using HP-tuners
And we wante to learn

just wondering i don´t have access to DYNO, so how can i know where my car has maximum horsepower@wot.

Then i´m looking into timing and fuel AFR. right ?
Or should i looke into something else.??? too

Is the baseline as much timing as you can with out a knock or?

i have seen that some people claim that too much timing (tough your not knocking) can not always be better.... "IS That right" ??

HOW should i do this?

i´m running N/A ....

Baezi

There are lots of opinions on where to start Tuning. Here on this site as well as HP Tuners are some articles. Others that will reply here have more experience and will give great ideas.

i can tell you this, without access to a dyno all you need is a about a mile of smooth, non busy road. A G-Tech for performance Logging and a HP Tuners for Data Logging.

Go to your smooth road of choice (to prevent false knock), get into 3rd (2nd doesn't place enough engine load and 4th will have you driving too fast) as soon as you can and stomp the throttle so you bog the engine a little at such a low speed in 3rd gear and let it rev all the way to redline.

The G-Tech will help you monitor your progress. It doesn't matter if the actual HP readings are not dyno accurate, at least they can show gains and loss during each run. From there you can look at the HPT Logs to see where your timing is at, and whether you ping or need to add fuel.

If this is a manual transmission, you can log the Transmission Shaft speed and somewhere around here is a spreadsheet that will give your HP and Torque figures.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For WOT tuning you need a WideBand 02 to begin with. If you bought the HPtuners you can go there forum and do a search. There is alot info on there that will help you. Every setup is different. What works for one setup will not work for yours.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vhato
There are lots of opinions on where to start Tuning. Here on this site as well as HP Tuners are some articles. Others that will reply here have more experience and will give great ideas.

i can tell you this, without access to a dyno all you need is a about a mile of smooth, non busy road. A G-Tech for performance Logging and a HP Tuners for Data Logging.

Go to your smooth road of choice (to prevent false knock), get into 3rd (2nd doesn't place enough engine load and 4th will have you driving too fast) as soon as you can and stomp the throttle so you bog the engine a little at such a low speed in 3rd gear and let it rev all the way to redline.

The G-Tech will help you monitor your progress. It doesn't matter if the actual HP readings are not dyno accurate, at least they can show gains and loss during each run. From there you can look at the HPT Logs to see where your timing is at, and whether you ping or need to add fuel.

If this is a manual transmission, you can log the Transmission Shaft speed and somewhere around here is a spreadsheet that will give your HP and Torque figures.
hi

ok we have Gtec and Wideband and been using it, but the AFR should it be at WOT 12.7-12.9 right in a N/A car for best performance or ?
where are the baseline?

If i have a good steady baseline in AFR and if i try to increase or decrease timing should i always have to change fuel too?? or?

thanks

Baezi
Old 03-14-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Timing doesn't effect fueling. Get the fueling right and then play with the timing.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
Timing doesn't effect fueling. Get the fueling right and then play with the timing.
thanks man....

Baezi
Old 03-14-2010, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

Timing will effect the fueling. You add more timing, it burns more fuel, so it will cause it to lean out a little. Not a lot, but I have seen as much as .50 by adding timing.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
Timing will effect the fueling. You add more timing, it burns more fuel, so it will cause it to lean out a little. Not a lot, but I have seen as much as .50 by adding timing.
I have actually seen this proven wrong on the dyno by a tuning instructor. If you put 11.5 parts of air and 1 part fuel in a combustion chamber the ignition timing cannot effect how much more air or fuel can enter the chamber because the valves are already closed. If you had the timing soo low that it was just puking unburnt fuel into the exhaust I could see it reading different.

Last edited by 2ktransam; 03-14-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have actually seen this proven wrong on the dyno by a tuning instructor. If you put 11.5 parts of air and 1 part fuel in a combustion chamber the ignition timing cannot effect how much more air or fuel can enter the chamber because the valves are already closed. If you had the timing soo low that it was just puking unburnt fuel into the exhaust I could see it reading different.
If ALL the PCM calculations are correct and the PE table isn't modified to compensate then yes timing should not affect fueling. If the PE table has been adjusted to compensate to achieve X fuel ratio then timing will affect fueling.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flame
If ALL the PCM calculations are correct and the PE table isn't modified to compensate then yes timing should not affect fueling. If the PE table has been adjusted to compensate to achieve X fuel ratio then timing will affect fueling.
How would PE have anything to do with it? PE is just a modifier for your commanded AF. If you set up the VE table right the PE table should only have to be adjusted one time to what ever AF ratio you want to run at. Timing can increase or decrease HP and torque but not the amount of air and fuel that goes into your cylinder. Air and fuel enter your compression chamber and the valves close before it is ignited. Timing cannot allow more air or fuel into the chamber.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How would PE have anything to do with it? PE is just a modifier for your commanded AF. If you set up the VE table right the PE table should only have to be adjusted one time to what ever AF ratio you want to run at.
Theres your answer in bold. If the VE is not set correctly and the PE is modified to get the required A/F then if you change timing you can see a change in A/F. If all the proper steps are taken in tuning the MAF and VE then I agree with you.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

I was actually talking about my car with the Big Stuff3. I have seen the A/f change by adding timing. Like I said, not much, but it has changed.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flame
Theres your answer in bold. If the VE is not set correctly and the PE is modified to get the required A/F then if you change timing you can see a change in A/F. If all the proper steps are taken in tuning the MAF and VE then I agree with you.
PE doesn't have anything to do with the equation but it has been a long time since I have tuned with a Maf so I will have to think through that. I hate when I see a half assed tune with PE. Even if you are running a Maf on your car you should always set PE to what ever you want to run AF wise, tune your VE table, tune your maf and then worry about timing.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Baezi, That must be the fastest car in all of Iceland.
Timing, I keep adding 1 degree at a time and making a test run until I see spark knock, then back the whole table off 1 degree to be safe. Try 28, try 29, try 30, I think that your question is about how much timing to run, the answer is: as much as you can without knock. That will make the most HP. When it knocks and retards, that will slow you down. Knock is bad for your engine so play it safe. Hot weather, or low octane gas will cause knock also.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by racecar
Timing, I keep adding 1 degree at a time and making a test run until I see spark knock, then back the whole table off 1 degree to be safe. Try 28, try 29, try 30, I think that your question is about how much timing to run, the answer is: as much as you can without knock. That will make the most HP. When it knocks and retards, that will slow you down. Knock is bad for your engine so play it safe. Hot weather, or low octane gas will cause knock also.
Without a dyno this is the only way to do it but I would back it off more than 1 degree. Normally power starts to drop off well before the knock sensors see knock so you should lower it a little more to be safe. In my opinion 1 degree before knock is cutting pretty close to the edge.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
I was actually talking about my car with the Big Stuff3. I have seen the A/f change by adding timing. Like I said, not much, but it has changed.
I wonder if what you are seeing is due to the affect timing has on your turbo? Could it be that it is changing your boost by a half pound or so with the change in charge pressure in the exhaust?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Without a dyno this is the only way to do it but I would back it off more than 1 degree. Normally power starts to drop off well before the knock sensors see knock so you should lower it a little more to be safe. In my opinion 1 degree before knock is cutting pretty close to the edge.
I would agree with 2k in the sense that when I ran small blocks, they would dyno the same HP at 34 degrees or 36, and knock at 38, so we ran 34 to be on the safe side with no loss of power. So keep adding timing to find the limit, but back it off to be safe, especially with a turbo. You may be able to back down 2 or 3 degrees or more from knock, with no power loss.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 AM
Teching In

the down side of tuning with out a dyno is even if you back off only 1 or 2 degree of timing after you see knock it is still too late. the knock sensor is not dead on in detecting knock and it is calibrated for a 100% stock setup.

i've seen many people who succeded with this whole no dyno tuning and i have also seen many people who's knock sensor did not detect knock and the bearings died over time (usually not that long)
Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racecar
hi it´s maby one of the fastest here, there is one 2005 C6 402 APS twin turbo here (ICEVETTE) very fast car, ve have a lot of nice rides here though we are only 360.000 people living here .
i´m running shell V-power it´s similuar to your´s premium gas. 95oct and here it´s dry cold weather around 50-60°F on summer time.

Originally Posted by Q8-TECH
the down side of tuning with out a dyno is even if you back off only 1 or 2 degree of timing after you see knock it is still too late. the knock sensor is not dead on in detecting knock and it is calibrated for a 100% stock setup.

i've seen many people who succeded with this whole no dyno tuning and i have also seen many people who's knock sensor did not detect knock and the bearings died over time (usually not that long)
The timing at WOT is 31-32 and we have nevere ever seen Knock on this setup ever, not even after i bumped the compression from 10.9:1 to 11.6:1, then i mean never not under any situation.
makes me wonder if my knock sensor is not working ??????
but like i said we have never done anything to timing our selfes here, the car is safe tuned by TSP.

is 31-32 normal timing for my setup and could i go higher timing 32-33??
my cam is 248.254-615.622-114

thanks a lot guys

Baezi
Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by baezi z06
hi it´s maby one of the fastest here, there is one 2005 C6 402 APS twin turbo here (ICEVETTE) very fast car, ve have a lot of nice rides here though we are only 360.000 people living here .
i´m running shell V-power it´s similuar to your´s premium gas. 95oct and here it´s dry cold weather around 50-60°F on summer time.

The timing at WOT is 31-32 and we have nevere ever seen Knock on this setup ever, not even after i bumped the compression from 10.9:1 to 11.6:1, then i mean never not under any situation.
makes me wonder if my knock sensor is not working ??????
but like i said we have never done anything to timing our selfes here, the car is safe tuned by TSP.

is 31-32 normal timing for my setup and could i go higher timing 32-33??
my cam is 248.254-615.622-114

thanks a lot guys

Baezi
I would stick with the timing TSP put in for you. I have almost the same setup in my car and power peaked right at 30 degrees. In the summer I see a little knock so I back it down to 28. LS engines aren't like the old school SBC where they need a ton of timing to make power. The head and combustion chambers on LS heads are much more effecient so they don't need or like as much timing as old school engines. Sounds like TSP has you right where you need to be and I wouldn't call 31 degrees of timing a safe tune. I'm not saying it isn't safe but it sounds like a good tune.

Quick Reply: Maximum power @WOT