Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq9 or lq4 in open wheel modified

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default lq9 or lq4 in open wheel modified

has anyone ever done this? iv been takin to my dad bout doin it for his car. from the UMP rules it would fit in far as i can tell. it would need to run a carb but thats no prob. and im not sure bout the coils, not sure how thy would fit in the rule D. i think it would do really well. what do yall think?

A.) Any American made engine will be permitted as long as the rear of the engine bell housing flange is mounted at least 72"-inches forward from the center of the rear axle. The engine offset must remain within two (2") inches of the center line from the cross member. The minimum engine height when measured from the ground to the center of the crankshaft is 11" inches.

B.) All engines used in competition must be able to be used in a conventional passenger car without alteration. Alteration of motor mounts will not be permitted. Alteration of the castings and/or fittings will not be permitted. Any machine work on the outside of the engine or machine work on the front or rear of the crankshaft will not be permitted.

C.) Aluminum blocks will not be permitted.

D.) Magnetos will not be permitted.

E.) Wet sump oiling systems must be operative and will go with a claim by DIRTcar officials. Overall dry sump systems will not be permitted.

F.) Alteration to the cooling system will be permitted. If alterations to the cooling system are made the stock-appearing hood line must be maintained.

G.) The battery must be securely mounted and shielded. The battery must not be mounted inside the driver’s cockpit.

H.) The exhaust system(s) must be mounted with the exhaust directed away from the vehicle and/or away from the ground (preferably horizontal and outside the body of the car). A maximum of 1/2" inch clearance surrounding the header pipe when directed through the firewall on the driver’s side. Local track rules will prevail when decibel and/or muffler rules.

I.) One two or four barrel carburetor is required.

J.) The engine must be a normally aspirated configuration.

K.) Fuel injection systems or electric fuel pumps will not be permitted.

L.) There may be specific engine rules issued for each region of North America that deviate from the standard UMP Modified Engine rules included herein.

Last edited by SexyTransAm; 03-14-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No bore,stroke or ci rules. Pistons rules. What about heads. Standard 23* valve heads
Old 03-14-2010, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z284thgen
No bore,stroke or ci rules. Pistons rules. What about heads. Standard 23* valve heads
no rules on any of that i dont think
Old 03-14-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

You would have to use the front mount distributor/ fuel pump setup since the rules you posted don't allow an electric fuel pump. At this point you wouldnt be using the coils anyhow so I don't see why you couldnt use one of these engines.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

i think belt drivin fuel pump could be used. and maybe keep the coils since they r not really magnetos
Old 03-15-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hit a local track and see what the competition is running. Should give you quick answers to your questions.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

yea iv been there and no one is running them. and im not sure they even know what the hell a gen 3 or 4 motor is. they all run old school chevy or ford

Quick Reply: lq9 or lq4 in open wheel modified