General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car dies after running for a while.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies after running for a while.

As I drive my car it slowly loses voltage in the battery. It seems to happen faster as I use accessories such as a/c or radio. I took it to a shop who switched wires, relays and all sorts of stuff leading to the fuel pump. They believed it could be a short that was happening as the engine would heat up. I got the car back today and cranked the radio up a bit, ran the a/c and noticed the volts were dropping. Too far from home, I found a good place to park the car, where it died after sitting for a while. Now I'm at mcdonalds hoping the car will cool down and be ready for me to drive it home soon. I'm rather stranded. Any idea what could be causing this?The car of course is in my sig.

Edit: mcdonalds closes in anhour and the fries are awful. I'm also on my phone. If I can McGiever something, that'd be cool.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

It sounds like your alternator took a dump on you. The only suggestion I could give you for tonight is see if it'll take a jump and get it home asap, or call a tow truck. Sorry for the bad luck bro.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:06 AM
Staging Lane

The thing is, I get full charge back after I leave it for a while. I let it sit for 45 mins, and it was cooled down a bit and the battery was reading it's normal voltage. I rushed home with just exterior lights on and it just barely dropped at all. Could this still point to the alternator?
Old 03-15-2010, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

i bet if you load test the charging system you will find the voltage regulator went inside the alternator, suggest just to replace it or pull it out and take it to a shop that can bench test it. I am sure you will get your answer at that time.

g/l.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks. Rather drunk. This temndsnto happen when the car has been driving for a while?