Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you remove the drivers side airbag, does the PS still work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:38 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you remove the drivers side airbag, does the PS still work?

I might install a grant wheel in my 99 SS, have a wheel and the kits only like $17 so might as well. If I disconnect the airbag at the wheel, will the passenger airbag still function? I need it to. Also, can I just unplug the airbag behind the wheel and keep the wiring in case I wanna swap it back? My wheel doesn't have the radio controls, and my horn doesn't work anyway.

Anything else I should know? I have a wheel puller, and I've heard you have to clearance the hub sometimes to clear the column or it rubs.

I'm mainly concerned with the wiring.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i believe the whole system will be disabled if there is a fault. just like if a wheel speed sensor for the abs goes out you completely lose abs. you can probably get the harness to tuck back in the column but it will be tight.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The airbag system reads the resistance of the airbag to determine if it's still there. If you put a resistor across the airbag harness it will fool the system into thinking the airbag is present and should allow the system to operate normally. Also, it is possible to install a hub without cutting any wires. You need to put a hole in the hub big enough to feed the airbag wires through. Then just open the yellow harness and pull the wires out and feed them through the hub. You can then pop them back inside the harness and tuck it all into the hub and bolt the wheel on. This is exactly what I did in my car.

Quick Reply: If you remove the drivers side airbag, does the PS still work?