PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this Possible? (HPTuners experts enter)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this Possible? (HPTuners experts enter)

Okay,

Been trying to figure out how to get an auto tune onto my car without spending hundred dollars on getting my PCM flashed from a manual to an auto.

Right now I do have the pcm licensed with a single vehicle license which right now it has a manual tune on it. Can I go ahead and license an auto-file from the repository and then flash it onto my pcm using the write entire function with the vin number changed.

Thanks,
Tilly
Old 03-16-2010, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You could just copy all the values from the auto file into you manual one. Your computer should already have the stock auto tables into it. If you swapped the tranny in your car and changed the harness there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've heard of people doing that and having issues. I know hp-tuners does not give you access to ALL the parameters that are in the OS, so there might be manual tables that need to zero'd out or auto tables that need to be set. But, that will be the first thing I try. Before I try to license another file.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroSS22
You could just copy all the values from the auto file into you manual one. Your computer should already have the stock auto tables into it. If you swapped the tranny in your car and changed the harness there shouldn't be a problem.
I've never tried this, but I'm not sure how it could work...

If you can't find an OEM file of your year and OS with the trans you want, send me an email and I will get you a stock file. It will make you license it; there is no getting around that.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I did my swap I tried the copy all differences and the trans would not shift. You need to do a write entire to make the transmission changes. As said you will have to license the file so make sure it is the right one. I had mine reflashed with a Tech2 because I could get that done for free.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should not need a write entire to go from auto to manual or vise versa.

you need to just have all of the engine/engine diagnostic, trans and trans diagnostic segments swapped from the manual to the automatic.

Ryan
Old 03-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Teching In

sure. unfortunately hpt editor still doesn't have a segment swap feature.

to OP: if hpt support don't do it for you, feel free to email me. if you send me the hpt file maybe i can do it for you by email when i have some extra time (will take some hex editing). of course if you just send me the PCM it's a no-brainer bc i could just reflash it with an a4 file, but i want to try it this way to see if i can do it, should be fun...
Old 03-21-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ask any tuner with EFI LIVE to do a segment swap for you (not me, I'm away and dont have my cables). That ability is built into their software.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Teching In

the file is in *.hpt format. and a VCM serial id # in the file that needs to stay the same. so neither hpt nor EFIlive alone is enough to do it by email.

but actually i just realized couple of simple ways i can do it w/o hex editing any raw binaries. if still needed, email me the file and i'll do it for you...
Old 03-21-2010, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Send your files to: support @ hptuners, they can make a segment swap for you.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vectorbundle
the file is in *.hpt format. and a VCM serial id # in the file that needs to stay the same. so neither hpt nor EFIlive alone is enough to do it by email.

but actually i just realized couple of simple ways i can do it w/o hex editing any raw binaries. if still needed, email me the file and i'll do it for you...
You wanna make a bet EFI LIVE can't do it. I've done it plenty of times.
Compare Tunes.
Copy Trans Segment.

The rest of it is just adjusting all the M6 Engine values for the A4.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the advice guys. I had HPT support do a seg swap for me.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Teching In

i also have EFIlive and am quite familiar with what it can do, thank you. maybe you should read what i wrote again: neither EFIlive nor hpt ALONE is enough to do it by email. unless you want to explain how you are going to swap segments in an emailed *.hpt file using EFIlive...

Originally Posted by macca_779
You wanna make a bet EFI LIVE can't do it. I've done it plenty of times.
Compare Tunes.
Copy Trans Segment.

The rest of it is just adjusting all the M6 Engine values for the A4.
question is now moot for the OP of course...
Old 03-22-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i also have EFIlive and am quite familiar with what it can do, thank you. maybe you should read what i wrote again: neither EFIlive nor hpt ALONE is enough to do it by email. unless you want to explain how you are going to swap segments in an emailed *.hpt file using EFIlive...

ALONE being the key word. Indeed you would need both, or just the PCM and EFI LIVE.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Banned

Tunercat can do it, since all you need to do, is do the segment swap, flash it to a PCM, and then extract it back out as a bin file. You canthen send it to anybody with HP tuners or EFI.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Tunercat can do it, since all you need to do, is do the segment swap, flash it to a PCM, and then extract it back out as a bin file. You canthen send it to anybody with HP tuners or EFI.
i know TC swaps segments and optionally reads back bin. but if you only (again, key word) use TC and a proxy PCM, you will read back a nice a4 bin with VIN you matched using TC, good... but with a different VCM serial id than the original *.hpt file, not good. but you can hex edit the binary. then hpt will open the bin and not complain about VCM serial conflict. if you have TC AND hpt (or EFI AND hpt) even better, you can circumvent having to hex edit anything. so, like i said, couple of ways to do it, how simple depends on what tools one uses.

Originally Posted by macca_779
ALONE being the key word. Indeed you would need both, or just the PCM and EFI LIVE.
yes, it's a key word, despite not being in caps the 1st time. obviously if you have access to the original PCM it's trivial to swap segments if you have the tools. this was clearly about swapping segments in the *.HPT FILE for the OP via email. which i was going to do but again, is at this point is moot bc hpt support already did it for him... it will be even more moot when they add the segment swap feature.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have ~24hr a turnaround on segment swaps, most people plan ahead by at least a day when considering doing a trans swap so for most its not much of an inconvenience having to wait a day to have us do it for them.

Quick Reply: Is this Possible? (HPTuners experts enter)