What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

30th Anniversary Trans Am 50k miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 30th Anniversary Trans Am 50k miles

It's going to pain me to sell this, but it also pains me to see this thing sitting covered in my driveway. I have a wife and kid and work all the time, I just don't have the time for it.

Anyhow, 50k miles. I'm the 2nd owner, I bought it used in 2000 with I think 12,000 miles on it. The only mods done to it are a Ravin exhaust and a whisper lid. I still have the original lid though. I've only ever put mobil 1 synthetic in it. Never raced it or otherwise abused it on the road.

Runs great, but needs tires, fuel gauge is broke, one small dent near the spoiler and one of the stripes on the roof has a hole in it. Also, the plastic on the passenger door is cracked and one of the speakers is blown. Other than that the interior is in great shape. Driver's seat has some wear, but still in really good condition.

So, the fact that it's a collector's car, I have NO clue how much this thing is worth. I've seen asking prices all over the radar. Would it be worth the money to fix the issues or just sell it as is?

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Might post and research here too: http://www.30th-ta.org
Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Might post and research here too: http://www.30th-ta.org
great minds think alike, I posted there too
Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

While it is a wonderful 'collector' type car it isn't worth big $$ with those miles and issues you mentioned. As I'm sure you know the big $$ goes to very low mileage cars, like examples up to 20k miles, while some collectors don't even touch them if more than 10k miles. That's just the way of the collector world except for those that like to restore them. A non-stock exhaust also hurts the collector value for some. I would say you could sell your car in the $12,000 - $14,000 range but only if there are not even more issues than you mentioned. 'As is', a decent amount of money will be needed to get the car back to 'good' or #2 condition. Your car is just 'fair' as it sits and as you describe it to us, a true #3 car. Sitting outside is not a good thing either. If this car was 20 years old and in the same condition you would get much more but we are at the bottom of 4th generation car prices right now. It would be nice if you could put it away for yourself or your child some day. Good luck if you have to sell.
** Just a note: There is a 15,000 mile example on ebay right now selling for about $23,000 OBO. Maybe I am being a bit optimistic with what you could get for your car but it is always best to start higher. You can lower your price later if no bites.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
While it is a wonderful 'collector' type car it isn't worth big $$ with those miles and issues you mentioned. As I'm sure you know the big $$ goes to very low mileage cars, like examples up to 20k miles, while some collectors don't even touch them if more than 10k miles. That's just the way of the collector world except for those that like to restore them. A non-stock exhaust also hurts the collector value for some. I would say you could sell your car in the $12,000 - $14,000 range but only if there are not even more issues than you mentioned. 'As is', a decent amount of money will be needed to get the car back to 'good' or #2 condition. Your car is just 'fair' as it sits and as you describe it to us, a true #3 car. Sitting outside is not a good thing either. If this car was 20 years old and in the same condition you would get much more but we are at the bottom of 4th generation car prices right now. It would be nice if you could put it away for yourself or your child some day. Good luck if you have to sell.
** Just a note: There is a 15,000 mile example on ebay right now selling for about $23,000 OBO. Maybe I am being a bit optimistic with what you could get for your car but it is always best to start higher. You can lower your price later if no bites.

I've seen 90k mile ones with just as many or more issues going for around $12k. 12-14 was my initial gut thought, but I was kind of hoping for 15-16. I'm still torn as to whether I want to sell it or not, it just pains me to not have the time or money to put into keeping it.

Quick Reply: 30th Anniversary Trans Am 50k miles