General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

rear bump stops

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear bump stops

was looking under the car the other day and notice the rear bump stop was all chewed up was wonder where i can get some new ones.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

any parts store should either have them or be able to get them for you.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:46 AM
Launching!

I wouldnt waste my money on them. Most people who mod their cars either get rid of them or modify them and by that I mean get rid of them or grind them down to fit fatter tires. I got rid of mine few months ago when I lowered my car and have had no probs.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:51 AM
12 Second Club

There are for jeeps and with a bit of work they will fit and never rot. Ive had these on the car for a long time and they still look brand new.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:55 AM
12 Second Club

i took mine out when i put the Strano/Konis on, havnt had any issues
Old 03-20-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you cant find a 5th gen f body without the bump stops being chewed up.

from what i see, they are hard to find, and most people buy some for a different car (like posted above) and modify them to work

for the 4 years i have had my car, and smashing potholes and everything you can imagine i have never hit the bump stops before
Old 03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyhomie
I wouldnt waste my money on them. Most people who mod their cars either get rid of them or modify them and by that I mean get rid of them or grind them down to fit fatter tires. I got rid of mine few months ago when I lowered my car and have had no probs.
BAD IDEA!!!! If you have significatly lowered your car not running bumb stops can cause damamge if you bottom out on a very rough road or big pot hole. I got a replacement set for mine at GMpartsdirect.com and they're not cheap. Autoparts store doesn't carry the exact replacements and aftermarket one's need to be modded as the mounting surface has tabs. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE00
BAD IDEA!!!! If you have significatly lowered your car not running bumb stops can cause damamge if you bottom out on a very rough road or big pot hole. I got a replacement set for mine at GMpartsdirect.com and they're not cheap. Autoparts store doesn't carry the exact replacements and aftermarket one's need to be modded as the mounting surface has tabs. Good luck.
You need to quit putting fat chicks in your back seat ...... in 204,000 + miles I have never hit the bump stops ... but nobody has ever ridden in the back seat either..they rubbed on my wheels so I ground them down to half their size and then later I just took them off and threw them away ... to me they were dead weight..
Old 03-24-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
You need to quit putting fat chicks in your back seat ...... in 204,000 + miles I have never hit the bump stops ... but nobody has ever ridden in the back seat either..they rubbed on my wheels so I ground them down to half their size and then later I just took them off and threw them away ... to me they were dead weight..

LOL - Thanks that was great.

If the roads in your area are bad you could have an issue as I did bottom out once with a good pothole as the roads here in Houston suck.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW: gmpartsdirect.com sells them and aftermarket vendors sell poly replacements too. They deteriorate from chemical break down after about ten years, simply crumble.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Launching!

You can also use bump stops from a third gen f-body, they fit the same.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DAVE00
I had the same experience as DAVE00 .. Car had Eibach's in the rear, sat lower. Last fall the RH side stop had basically fallen off. Going over bumps the axle was hitting metal underbody. Sounded terrible and made me avoid certain roads. The LH stop, while cracked and in rough shape, was still isolating the axle from the underbody.

Nobody had them ... Murray's/Oreily's/Autozone/Advance/NAPA. Had to get it on-order from the dealership, believe it was $44 for 1.
And I have an SS, which came with chunky, thick black blocks for bump-stops. Those are no longer available - the dealership only carries base model bump-stops, which are white and taper shaped, narrowing from base-to-tip.

Since then, I've replaced them, and gotten rid of the Eibach springs in favor of BMR. The BMR's, while still low, have much better stiffness and don't hit the stops nearly as often. I think the Eibach's were almost 'riding the stops' in normal driving. Going over a large bump at high enough speed will cause any F-body to hit the stops.. when the stops are there tho, it is not very noticeable. Under normal conditions you don't hear/feel anything unusual, and roadspeed noise will likely cover any 'impact' bump noise.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
you cant find a 5th gen f body without the bump stops being chewed up.

from what i see, they are hard to find, and most people buy some for a different car (like posted above) and modify them to work

for the 4 years i have had my car, and smashing potholes and everything you can imagine i have never hit the bump stops before
5th gens are still brand new i dont think you will see anything rotted on them yet. i think you are refering to 4th gens

Quick Reply: rear bump stops