Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Time for more scotch....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Time for more scotch....

I'm looking for another suggestion on a bottle of scotch...... I'm looking for something under $100. I like almost all scotches, but the nasty stuff like Cutty Sark or the lower end stuff.

My favorites as background is the 21yo Balvanine, Lagavulin, Gelnmorange, and Laphroaig.

Again I'd like under $100 so let the game begin!!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macallan 18. Smooooth.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by earthman01
Macallan 18. Smooooth.
Funny when I saw this post your the first one i thought of..lol Beers today at 4?? You know where I will be
Old 03-19-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Johnnie Walker Gold or Green Label
Old 03-19-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
Johnnie Walker Gold or Green Label
Just go for Blue and don't be a sissy
Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Had the JW (all labels) I'm not a huge fan. I prefer the gold out of all of them......minus the blue.

Maybe the macallan will be the bottle next. I've seen quite a few people talking about this stuff.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

i thought of tape.... tonight i will be thinking yager bombs FTMFW
Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

WHAT????? You dont like Johnnie???? I think for the $$ and the fact that it is availible everywhere, it is one of the best scotches there out there. I am a big fan of the Blue Label as well. But if you really are going all out, then get a bottle of Johnnie Walker's King George V. That is a nice scotch
Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ardbeg, very good, very smokey.... and under a 100
Old 03-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Launching!

yeah I never really like jw. I ended up grabbing a bottlle of Talisker 10yo. I grabbed it only 'cause I liked the Isle scotches the most.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Not at all dark and smokey like the ones you mentioned, but maybe for a change of pace, try MY favorite, Aberlour.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My two favorite`s

http://www.whisky.com/brands/oban_brand.html

Dalwhinnie 15 Year old
Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I must be a total hillbilly... I still like Gentleman Jack.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JL, Gentlemen jack is actually a pretty decent bourbon. I like it once and a while on the rocks, that says a lot cause I don't like regualr JD most of the time.

I'm not a Johnny Walker fan. I'll pass. (unless your buying ) I'm just not a huge fan of blended scotch.

Stick with whats good man, Like the Balvenie and Glenmorange, honestly I like the 18yr Glenmorange almost as much as the 21. Difference isn't there enough to justify the cost. The Belvenie is just a good solid one, the 12yr for the $ is hard to beat. I know you'll keep those 2 on hand all the time, as I.

But a couple I want to try,
Aberlour, its suppose to be like Macallan, just a bit less sweet.
laphroaig, haven't had it yet but suppose to be a good peaty hit, little lighter than the Lagavulin.
Highland Park 15, don't know much about it other than what I heard and that it runs around $60, but from what I heard its a must try.

I can't bring myself to spend over $100 for a bottle, just too rich for my blood especially when a $60 bottle is 90% what the $120 is.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

DannoWS6,

That is a good list of ones to try. Should keep you busy a while.
I thought the Highland Park 15 was just 'ok'. It isn't bad mind you, just that my pallet, which my not be as refined as yours told me that it may not be worth the price tag.

ps. If you are into cigars, I can recommend a few that go well with some of the scotches mentioned.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 46Coupe
DannoWS6,

That is a good list of ones to try. Should keep you busy a while.
I thought the Highland Park 15 was just 'ok'. It isn't bad mind you, just that my pallet, which my not be as refined as yours told me that it may not be worth the price tag.

ps. If you are into cigars, I can recommend a few that go well with some of the scotches mentioned.
Yeah I keep a little humidor going, I like Oliva, punch, Nub, ghurka, AVO, etc... I love trying different cigars. I love a good medium body cigar, I can honestly say that most maduros I'm not a huge fan of. Oh some monte christos are good too, in fact its the only cuban I've had and loved it. MaSTI and I have done the occasional magazine order, but i do like to go hand pick a few sticks. There are 2 places in NH I like to go to. The last memorable cigar I had was the Nub Cameroon, I'd recommend trying it.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Yeah I keep a little humidor going, I like Oliva, punch, Nub, ghurka, AVO, etc... I love trying different cigars. I love a good medium body cigar, I can honestly say that most maduros I'm not a huge fan of. Oh some monte christos are good too, in fact its the only cuban I've had and loved it. MaSTI and I have done the occasional magazine order, but i do like to go hand pick a few sticks. There are 2 places in NH I like to go to. The last memorable cigar I had was the Nub Cameroon, I'd recommend trying it.
CIGARS!!!!!! Now you are talking my language. Cubans are over rated. If you like a medium bodied cigar, then a Davidoff, Rockey Patel, AVO (i just went to his birthday party), La Flor Dominicana or 2nd Growth. The best place to go is 2 Guys Smoke Shop in Salem, NH. It is right over the boarder. The guys that work there are very knowledgeable and very honest. They will not just try and sell you anything, they try and get you the best cigar for you.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I do like a good cigar when at an outdoor party. Effective way to keep bugs, and small children away

Other then that I never really do the whole smoking thing, just not my deal.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
CIGARS!!!!!! Now you are talking my language. Cubans are over rated. If you like a medium bodied cigar, then a Davidoff, Rockey Patel, AVO (i just went to his birthday party), La Flor Dominicana or 2nd Growth. The best place to go is 2 Guys Smoke Shop in Salem, NH. It is right over the boarder. The guys that work there are very knowledgeable and very honest. They will not just try and sell you anything, they try and get you the best cigar for you.
For what I paid the cuban is overrated. LOL

I've had cigars from all the above mentioned names. I am not much of a rocky patel fan, I hate the "Edge" cigars. Davidoff is good. AVO #2 is one of my favorites, its worth the $10 a stick. MASTI likes "Acids" which i think Davidoff makes but I don't like those much. My go to is the punch gran cru, for just under $5 its hard to beat as a good standard, The Oliva G and V series I highly recommend for the $.

With nice weather I like to have maybe 1 or 2 week if i have the time. I like to take my time and enjoy it on the deck or something, chill for a couple hrs. It's funny cause I despise cigarettes, but love a good cigar.

I've driven by 2 guys smoke shop, so i know where it is, place looks promising and i need to check it out. closer to me is Tobacco Haven which has a great selection and I also go to a little place in Keene that has a small walk in humidor but he keeps some quality smokes.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:39 AM
8 second mod

my old man is a big scotch drinker. he drinks a good size bottle per week. atleast.
his everyday drink is jonny black. he has had real fancey stuff and real cheep stuff and he just likes the black.

wasnt a big fan of the green or blue, but he does like the gold.
he usually has a big bottle of gold and his first glass of the night will be gold, then he goes to black lol

he did have another one he liked alot. it was some weird shaped bottle. it was called curves, or shape or something