General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help!! Noise from the rear-end..

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Noise from the rear-end..

I have the 12 bolt moser with 373 gears and auburn posi and when i changed my rearend fluid everything looked fine and in good shape. car hasnt been driven to hard but everytime i turn (low speeds) i hear a rotating scraping sound. i dont know if its my brakes in the rear im going to replace those next week or if it could be bad bushings in my LCA or panhard bar.. HELP PLEASE!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

The first thing I would check would be the brake calipers; it's possible one of them is "stuck."
Old 03-20-2010, 06:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like the Brakes..I would start there.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Launching!

well thats what i'm thinking is that its the brakes. it only happens when i turn sharp at slow speeds and when i pulled my wheels off i put it in gear and let then spin and no noise what so ever with wheels off or on. I'm thinking that turning is causing side load on the wheels which in return adds sideload to the brakes... make sense??
Old 03-20-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did the fluid you put back in have limited slip additive in it? Its possible you are hearing the clutch plates making noise.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:40 AM
Launching!

thats what i thought at first and yes i run amsoil in everything engine,trans,rearend and i did put the recommended additive in it and it still makes noise sometimes its louder that other times so i really have no clue whats going on. but i really believe its either the bushings in the LCA's or its the brakes im going to replace brakes this weekened and im going to either go poly bushings in LCA's or build my own Heign joint LCA's I got the stuff to do so... ands it is more noticable with the clutch out rather than to the floor but looking and inspecting the rear-end i honestly dont believe its that
Old 03-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are tempting fate there with the Amsoil with the Auburn......betcha a bazillion dollars you put the cheapest regular gear oil in there and it will be quiet.

Auburn warns you not to use synthetics with their carriers, bethcha the cone clutches are already beat up pretty badly......seen this about 10000 times.

Synthetic oil and auburn carrier usually lasts about 2k miles before its completely tore up. Its also hard on carrier bearings. I seen ALOT of low mileage worn carrier bearings in rears that used synthetic oil. I'm not making this up, I seen it for myself too many times.

DON"T USE SYNTHETICS with Auburn carriers!

ps: synthetic oil alone is poo poo, its ok where something was designed for it but trust me NOTHING will tear up a rear faster than synthetic oil.

go read all the good suppliers of aftermarket rears what they reccomend.

I know this will go against all Amsoil and M1 advertise but trust me i seen it so many times i would NEVER put synthetic in a rear unless it was designed for it. That means NO CLUTCHES! only torsen gear type carriers can use it. If you have cone clutches or plate type synthetic oils will eat them ALIVE!

Anyone tells you otherwise laugh at them...because this is 1st hand info, I've seen it MANY TIMES.

Synthetic is hype and BS!

It may be able to be heated higher but its film properties are COMPLETELY different. The noise you are hearing is METAL against METAL grinding away your cone clutches into metal dust. betcha check the oil its all grey looking.

I'll give you a tip, the best gear oil i've used is the shell rotella 80-90 from walmart. Your rear will be quiet and last forever using that oil.

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...6pagesize%3d20 read the install manual

Last edited by HotSilverBird; 03-21-2010 at 04:23 AM.