General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Studdering (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Studdering (Long)

- Sorry for the long thread, there is a shorter version underneath the longer version-

*Update* Yesterday i took it out for a drive and it was still doing the same thing. Not sure what the problem is.

Long Story (details):
In the North East we had a pretty bad rain storm that flooded alot of counties and blocked off alot of roads. There were no signs that said this road was flooded or anything. The road i was on is extremely dark with no light poles. I was approaching a turn and out of nowere i just see water on the ground, i immediatley try to stop but I hit the water. I could tell that it was deep as **** as soon as I hit it and by the time I could yell "MOTHER F#@KER" i was already on dry pavement. I pull over automatically and my car starts to studder and my RPM's start dropping, my car feels like its going to shut off. I turn the key off and I get out to pop my hood. Everything is soaked, when i say everything, i mean EVERYTHING. This could not happen at a worse time, its pitch black, no flashlight, im using my cellphone to see what is going on. I take my lid off to see if i sucked up water, it felt barley wet. I have a FTRA installed and i just put my hand in there and it was a little wet, nothing like my engine bay though. So my car has been sitting for atleast 20 minutes and I decide to start it up again. Thing just starts sturddering again and RPMS drop and once again it feels like its going to shut off. So i give it a little gas and when i'm hitting the gas slightly the RPMS rise but with a studdering motion. I turn the car off and let it sit for another 15 minutes. I turn it on once again, it starts studdering and RPM's are dropping, but this time the car catches itself and brings the RPM's back up. I'm thinking that it has to be an electrical problem. So i let it idle for like 20 minutes. Its doing fine so i put it in First gear and take off, no problems. So i'm thinking that the water just screwed up everything. This happened on Wednesday (17th). I drove the car that night fine, no problems. I didn't drive the car on the Thursday (18th). Yesterday (19th) I changed my oil and air filter. I was heading to a meeting spot which is about 15 miles away. All of a sudden my car starts to studder and RPM's start dropping, luckily i was only about a half mile away from where i was suppose to be at. I get there and my car just feels like it is dieing. So i shut if off and let it sit. Pop the hood, everything seems to be in place. About a half hour later, i turn it back on and drive the car to my friends house. They said that i was blowing smoke out my exhaust. At one light when i was at idle i was blowing smoke and at the next light i wasn't blowing smoke. I got on it a little bit, and i just look in my rear view and see nothing but smoke. So i get to my friends house and disconnect the battery. I come back a few hours later, put the battery back on and start it. It runs fine, I had no problems heading home or driving it to work this morning. I think this is an electrical issue, but honestly i got no idea what is going on. Sorry for the long thread, just thought i would be really percise about the events that happened to have a better look at what the problem might be. I just don't want this to happen again. Thanks for any input.

Long Story Short: Hit a puddle. Car started to studder and drop RPM's. Engine Bay is soaked. Let it sit and dry. Drove fine the rest of the night. Changed Oil and Air Filter. 2 Days later it started to studder again and drop RPM's. Blowing smoke (sometimes, but alot of the time). Disconnected battery then reconnected it. Everything works fine now. Can't figure out what was going wrong.

Last edited by ReApEr75; 03-21-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Stuff got wet. Once it all dries back out you should be good to go.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Stuff got wet. Once it all dries back out you should be good to go.
yeah, i would try not to drive the car until everything dries out.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Car keeps on dieing. Would it be something with the Fuel System?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

o2 sensor connectors got wet. Clean and grease up with dielectric grease.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
o2 sensor connectors got wet. Clean and grease up with dielectric grease.
Ok. I'll check it out when it stops raining here. Thanks and i'll let you know what happens.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ReApEr75
Car keeps on dieing. Would it be something with the Fuel System?
The drying out part could take several days. Your only alternative is to start drying out various connectors one at a time.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
The drying out part could take several days. Your only alternative is to start drying out various connectors one at a time.
Yea i didn't think it would take that long. Guess it does lol. I'll get to it ASAP.