General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Different starter for 2002?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Different starter for 2002?

Is the starter for a 2002 LS1 Different than previous years?
When I went to buy one at Advanced Auto, they showed a different part number for 2002 cars vs 2001. I figured Their system is just screwed. I also have a "Classic Industries Parts Catalog" for Firebirds, and they have a starter for up to 2001 and nothing for 2002. This made me wonder if they were different. Anybody know for sure?

Also, just to verify, my problem is that slowly the car was more and more hesitant to turn over. Now its a sure thing, and the only way I can get it to crank is to turn the ignition, and tap/bang the shifter sideways. I figured the solenoid was getting stuck, and this was the only one man way to "Tap" the starter.

Does this sound about right, or should I look elsewhere for a solution?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM part number's and pricing

GM Part #10465385 $449.75 ( 01' )

GM Part #10465547 $427.55 ( 02' )

as long as the battery is good and fully charged then you are on the right track.

g/l.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any starter that fits on any year LS1, and LS2/6/3/7 for that matter should work. What differentiates starters primarily is the nosecone that bolts up to the block and I thought they were all the same for all the LS motors, they have the 2 bolt staggered pattern as opposed to the straight across pattern.
It's a PG260 starter and the latest model is M, as in PG260M. I know there's PG260L, G and F, i'd have to look up the previous model letters. The delco PG260 starter has changed over the years in that the motor has been elongated to give it more power, I think the 260M is a 1.7KW starter, the L is 1.6kw and the F was 1.4Kw. Now if space is tight then that will require you to use the smaller less powerful starter, but if it fits get the longest bodied starter which will be the most powerful. I went through this on mercruiser boat engines, which are GM blocks, and i have to say at $449.75 it's cheaper to buy a "marine" starter from mercruiser for $300-something. Shame on GM.
And the other thing you might have to watch out for is the number of teeth on the starter pinion, but I think they are all 11 tooth now, I know some of the older models had 9 tooth but they are all obsolete and superceded by the 11-tooth. What you will never hear from the parts store, or from the industry because this is how they make their money, is all the PMGR (permanent magnet gear reduction) starters are common behind the nosecone, except when you get to imports or small engines where the nosecone is so much smaller that the diameter of the starter also shrinks changing everything, but for most of the GM engines they're all the same.

Quick Reply: Different starter for 2002?