Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Type R Components in the doors

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Type R Components in the doors

Hey guys, I want to get some type R components and put them in the doors. My questions are:

Where is the best place to put the tweeters? I don't want to put them on the A-pillar because I am going to be installing a gauge pod there.

How do you wire up a component speaker? Is there a box the you wire the two speaker wires up to and then theres wires going from there to the tweeter and mid bass speaker?

Last of all. Is it even worth it to go to a component? If I put the tweeter in the door panel, will it make that much of a difference being it is still very close to the mid bass speaker?

My system includes and or will include the following:

Alpine Head unit
JL Audio J2 x 500 Amp (500W Per Sub.)
Two 10" Type R rubs in stealth boxes
Type R Coaxials in the rear
Type R components in the front
JL Audio j320 For the speakers (60W RMSx4)

Any help is greatly appreciated. I dont know a whole lot in the audio department..... Thanks!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll still be better because you have the better crossover. You'll run your amp to the crossover box and then that will have two pairs of wires, one to the woofer and one to the tweeter. I've mounted them inside of doors before with Velcro, but it's better to mount them inside the car.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Again, come on man just one topic with your questions would do. But search around, people put the tweeters in a few different spots, on the pillar or in the door panel are the most common. If you search around you'll find threads about this. And for wiring, if you have the Monsoon system you won't need a crossover, there will be 4 wires going to the stock speakers and 2 are tweeters, 2 is for the speaker. Just remember when taking them out which wires go to what. But if you're rewiring it all, then a crossover would be needed.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

You will need a crossover.

1) The stock "crossover" is just a junky high-pass filter on the tweeter and no filtering for the woofer. This is incredibly crappy. I would go so far as to not take ANY advice from people suggesting this.

2) You're using your own amp anyway so the stock junk doesn't matter.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dragonrage
You will need a crossover.

1) The stock "crossover" is just a junky high-pass filter on the tweeter and no filtering for the woofer. This is incredibly crappy. I would go so far as to not take ANY advice from people suggesting this.

2) You're using your own amp anyway so the stock junk doesn't matter.
This is how many people do it, so that doesn't mean my advice sucks..and it sounds fine to me. But he's using his own amp and wiring so it doesn't matter.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
This is how many people do it, so that doesn't mean my advice sucks..and it sounds fine to me. But he's using his own amp and wiring so it doesn't matter.
And the stock system sounds fine to some people. Those people, like you, are wrong.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
And the stock system sounds fine to some people. Those people, like you, are wrong.
No, they are not wrong. They just have different opinions and perhaps different expectations from their audio system. I'm getting a little tired of your "I'm right and everybody else is wrong" attitude. This forum is here for an exchange of ideas.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

And I'm getting tired of people here giving poor advice. People go and ask for a good audio system, and someone goes and recommends some decent speakers which COME WITH crossovers and everyone goes and recommends the crossovers be ignored in favor of a single high-pass filter. Why? What do you guys gain from using such a poor method? It's not like you're preventing the need for buying a crossover since they come with components. And the difference between using them or not is significant. Would you like to try my Rainbow components with the "Monsoon crossover"? Someone please bring their car to my house so I can demonstrate.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

In the case of CDT components in my doors, I tried the included CDT crossovers and could not tell the difference from using the factory wiring. No wait... actually I could tell the difference because the extra power from using separate amp channels for mid and tweeters gave me better sound than splitting the full-range mid signal with crossovers.

Now I suppose I could have used the crossovers as simple high pass filters in place of the stock ones but why do that? I am quite satisfied with the sound using an aftermarket HU, aftermarket speakers, the Monsoon amp, and stock wiring. It is, after all, just a car - certainly not an ideal place for audio so why waste time or money? When I want high fidelity, I'll listen at home.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

i have installed type r components in my camaro before. I used tweeters pods and installed all new wiring with the crossovers in the car. it sounded great. please, for your own sake, don't use crappy stock wiring. use a good 16 gauge wire and id buy a stronger amp. PDX 4.100 would sound great with those type r's. GOOD LUCK
Old 03-24-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
In the case of CDT components in my doors, I tried the included CDT crossovers and could not tell the difference from using the factory wiring. No wait... actually I could tell the difference because the extra power from using separate amp channels for mid and tweeters gave me better sound than splitting the full-range mid signal with crossovers.
That benefit is actually very small. You will gain very little power that way because like 90% of the power goes to the woofer in a 2-way system.