Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Satellite Radio People Step In

Old 03-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Satellite Radio People Step In

I've got an Avic-D2 in my 01 WS6, and just the other day decided to hook up the XM satellite part of it and get service cause i'm tired of my Ipod and local stations. Well i've got the antenna using double sided tape in the corner of the dash and not getting really good signal. I've been told that theyre magnetic for a reason and that the antennas need a metal surface to help "amp" the signal. Is this true? I know my buddy has his mounted under the dash pad to some metal and it picks up pretty good. I guess the real question is where do you guys have the antennas mounted? let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

ok well i searched using this sites search and i guess i didnt use good enough key words, but a google search turned up these two. Those seem to be good ideas. Anybody else have experience with this?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-location.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...placement.html
Old 03-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That's my installation pictured in the first link. The antenna location works well because reception is excellent (I get fewer drop-outs than my wife with her factory roof mounted antenna) and it's completely hidden.

I don't think the metal surface has much to do with reception except perhaps as a small reflector. It certainly isn't necessary as a ground plane. I have the same kind of antenna on my Gold Wing (mostly plastic) and it works just as well. Ground plane concerns are normally related to transmitting radios (CB, HAM, etc.) and have very little impact on passive receivers. But, in any case, the under dash location is on a metal surface so it keeps everybody happy.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

I mounted mine on the T-top bar.... sorry can't find any pics of it.... can take some if need be...
Old 03-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i'd like to see how it looks and how did you run it? let me know.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I mounted mine under the windshield cowl and get perfect reception, and it's completely hidden (just keep it 2 inches away from the metal mesh and you'll be fine).

Oh, and the antennas are magnetic just for convenience (i.e. mounting on the roof or other magnetic surface). I'd still use double-stick tape like 3M.

Search this Thread