Sponsored by:

HP Tuners licensing

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:15 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuners licensing

My 04 CTS-V was just recently dyno tuned at a shop. I am looking to do a little tweaking myself. Im not quite sure how the licensing works. I was charged extra for the licensing at the shop. Is my pcm now free and clear for any HP Tuners software/hardware? Or will i have to purchase another license if i go with another tuner or buy a handheld myself?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you buy HPTuners yourself you get 8 credits included. More than enough to tune a couple of cars until you have to start paying for them.

But in answer to your question. No your PCM is not free and clear. You need to licence each cable to each controller.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:16 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Sucks that they will charge multiple times for a license on the same vin. Guess you can't get rich without taking someone elses hard earned money more than necessary!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -T-
Thanks for the info. Sucks that they will charge multiple times for a license on the same vin. Guess you can't get rich without taking someone elses hard earned money more than necessary!
You are mainly paying for the hardware & R and D up front, the 8 credits come free with the hardware purchase. Not that it matters but every other package you find out there is licensed the same way, you don't get a discount for being tuned by a tunershop previously.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -T-
Thats why EFI LIVE has a far better licencing scheme in my opinion. And yep I'm not biased as I've spent money on both suites.
Hell you never hear about any confusion on the EFI fourm about licencing but its very common for HPT, plus the bitching when people have to spend more money.

EFI LIVE 1 Licence = 1 car. Or more accurately. 1 trans and one engine. VIN numbers and cal ID's don't even come into it. You can load any combo you want into it including numerous Custom OS' and neve pay more than 1 licence.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by macca_779
Thats why EFI LIVE has a far better licencing scheme in my opinion. And yep I'm not biased as I've spent money on both suites.
Hell you never hear about any confusion on the EFI fourm about licencing but its very common for HPT, plus the bitching when people have to spend more money.

EFI LIVE 1 Licence = 1 car. Or more accurately. 1 trans and one engine. VIN numbers and cal ID's don't even come into it. You can load any combo you want into it including numerous Custom OS' and neve pay more than 1 licence.
You seriously have no idea what you are talking about in this case.

EFILive, hpt, etc. they are all the same. If a tunershop tunes someones car then that person buys a software package they need to license their own car. If you think otherwise you are seriously misinformed.

-Bill
Old 03-22-2010, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

your licensing the car to the hardware always.... so unless you have the tuners hardware you cant tune your car.... you have to license the car to your own interface/hardware
Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

I too am confused about HP tuners' credit system. However, I am interested in purchasing tuning software in the near future.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why having your own handheld tuner can be a great idea, since that is the license, you can go to any tuning shop that can tune your hardware type. Also when you return your vehicle to stock in most cases the hardware can then be used on another vehicle. Also, you can upgrade to the tuning software at a later date and just pay for the software, not having to buy your own interface and use more credits.

Just another option that is out there.

Ryan
Old 03-22-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667
You seriously have no idea what you are talking about in this case.

EFILive, hpt, etc. they are all the same. If a tunershop tunes someones car then that person buys a software package they need to license their own car. If you think otherwise you are seriously misinformed.

-Bill
Bill your the one that has no idea if you actually think that's what I was talking about. Of course your going to be charged again on a different cable. I was refering to the double dipping HPT does for enhancements. I wont even go into the massive flaw in the HPT licensing system with regard to bypassing year model licensing as I was altered a while ago that this information (while common knowledge amongst those that use professional software) wouldn't go down well in regard to US piracy laws for the LS1 Tech Forum.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners licensing