Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dimmer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dimmer question

I just installed my Clarion nz409 in the formy, and everything went pretty well. but on my way to work I go through a 40 mile stretch of highway thats "daytime headlight section". There's seems to be no settings on the headunit to adjust the dimmer or turn it off so I can see it better in the day with headlights on. So my question is, can I put a toggle switch on the orange/white dimmer wire to cut the dimmer during the day? And if so, do you think one of the "light-up" toggle switches will work?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes and yes. The orange with white wire connects to the gray wire from the factory harness. That's simply a power wire that has 12V when the lights are on signaling the head unit to dim the display. However, a lighted switch would be somewhat redundant since you can easily tell if the head unit display is dimmed or not without having to look at the switch.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, WhiteBird, and good point about the lighted switch redundancy *facepalm*