Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Pedal goes rock hard after a few gears - checking my diagnosis..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Pedal goes rock hard after a few gears - checking my diagnosis..

Here's the symptoms:

starting from a slow roll and go WOT from 2nd, through 3rd, through 4th, (shifting around 6500) and then when pulling 5th around 5,000rpm, the clutch slips, so I let off it.. if I apply ANY throttle, it slips again, like you're pressing on the pedal some. the other shifts felt totally normal.

Components:
re-built McLeod MC, freshly bled - works flawlessly.
recent factory slave
Z06 clutch / PP
Fidanza AL flywheel
OEM bellhousing
Clutch line is run behind the heat shield and covered in heat shield tubing as well.

Here's the BIG problem:
When the clutch slips, the pedal is ROCK hard and will not move. (Granted, I'm not about to try and leg press it either.) Pulling it out of gear and letting the car cost down to a slower speed eventually softens the pedal to where it can be pushed. after that, it acts normal and I can drive however I want.

I think something's going on with the pressure plate and the fingers are binding?

The obvious answer is "Get a new clutch - a ________ stage ___ , a new slave, and a remote bleeder - you're beyond the limit of a Z06 clutch anyway" (405/400) But I'd really like to know WHY before I just go throwing parts at it.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:21 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, it sounds like the PP. You're going to have to pull it to see what's going on, whether it's the diaphragm spring or another aspect.

Props to you for addressing the hydraulics in your Dx.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal goes rock hard after a few gears - checking my diagnosis..