General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

another starter question

Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another starter question

Im having a problem with getting my car to turn over. I just got done putting a 6.0 in the car this weekend and im anxious to start it but the damn starter isnt working. The starter just "clicks" and wont turn over, the bendix comes out to the flexplate like its supposed to when the key is turned fwd but after that all i get is a click. I am sure i have all the grounds hooked up at this point, I havent tried using a jumper yet to see if it turns which im gonna do after work.

Im thinking the starter is shot from what ive read and just getting the "click". Also i had another problem a couple times now with the car, for w/e reason the security light will come on and the car wont do ne thing, why would this happen?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the security light, a.k.a. VATS is due to the resistor chip in your ignition key either going bad or not making good contact in the ignition cylinder and tripping VATS. Look up the VATS mod and disable VATS under the dash otherwise you'll probably need a new ignition key.

for the starter, if you're mechanically inclined (if you did the work yourself dropping in the 6L then you can do this) you can pull the starter and pull it apart on a bench. The solenoid is usually what goes and when it does you get NO click and the pinion doesn't push out to engage the flywheel. If the pinion (not bendix) slides out then that means the solenoid is most likely working and supplying current to the starter motor, and if you get it on a bench you can test it. What happens is china doesn't lube anything in the starter so the planetary gears are probably all dry, if you grease them up and lube the solenoid fork that pushes out the pinion and it'll work better than new. At worst the armature or commutator is shot and you'll find that out on the bench in which case trade it in for a rebuilt.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
the security light, a.k.a. VATS is due to the resistor chip in your ignition key either going bad or not making good contact in the ignition cylinder and tripping VATS. Look up the VATS mod and disable VATS under the dash otherwise you'll probably need a new ignition key.

for the starter, if you're mechanically inclined (if you did the work yourself dropping in the 6L then you can do this) you can pull the starter and pull it apart on a bench. The solenoid is usually what goes and when it does you get NO click and the pinion doesn't push out to engage the flywheel. If the pinion (not bendix) slides out then that means the solenoid is most likely working and supplying current to the starter motor, and if you get it on a bench you can test it. What happens is china doesn't lube anything in the starter so the planetary gears are probably all dry, if you grease them up and lube the solenoid fork that pushes out the pinion and it'll work better than new. At worst the armature or commutator is shot and you'll find that out on the bench in which case trade it in for a rebuilt.
LMAO this made me chuckle, yea i took the motor out and put the 6L in, i think im inclined enough to take the starter apart . The starter has been just hanging there for about 7-8 months now and not used at all. The pinion does slide out to the flexplate as it should and slides back when the key is turned off. Its just when i go to turne it over all i get is a click. There is a local guy that has one for $20 so i may give that a shot. Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

you may be smart enough to swap motors, and even pull a PMGR (permanent magnet gear reduction) model pg260m starter apart, but are you smart enough to check the VRLA (valve regulated lead-acid) battery under the hood ?

you say the starter has been hanging there for months, so i assume the battery has been also.
just the click sound of the solenoid but the starter not turning the engine is also a symptom of a dead battery, I would at least check battery voltage before pulling the starter apart
Old 03-22-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you may be smart enough to swap motors, and even pull a PMGR (permanent magnet gear reduction) model pg260m starter apart, but are you smart enough to check the VRLA (valve regulated lead-acid) battery under the hood ?

you say the starter has been hanging there for months, so i assume the battery has been also.
just the click sound of the solenoid but the starter not turning the engine is also a symptom of a dead battery
lol no the battery hasnt been in the car till this weekend, i just bought a new battery for it last weekend cuz the old one was shot anyway.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

where did you buy the battery and what kind?
did you check the manufacture date on the battery?
Depending where you bought it, it may be that the "new" battery is discharged from sitting on the store shelf and too weak. Any new car battery you buy you should throw on a proper charge for 8 hours to make sure it's fully charged to 100%, especially if your car sees short trips which can prevent the battery from ever being fully charged.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got it from wal mart and i havent checked voltage yet, im taking my volt meter over there tomorrow to check it. The car is in storage not close to me and i bench tested the starter today and the stator locked up and popped the breaker on the bench tester. We hit it with a hammer and it came out and spun like it was supposed to, then we tried it again and it locked up and popped the breaker again so id say the starter was crap. I pulled it apart and grease wasnt an issue as there was plenty.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright well i got a different starter was from a truck. Got the car to start one time which was the first fire up so i was pretty excited it ran. Then shut if off and go to start it again and screw my life it wont start just a bunch of clicks. Get under the car and the bendix is still in the flywheel. What the hell would cause this? the starter looks straight and its a given this one is burnt up now too
Old 03-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Just a shot in the dark, You said you checked the the ground, but what if the ground isnt very good. Maybe a larger ground wire.

I dont really have any ideas about starters, just adding my 2cents.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by go-t
Just a shot in the dark, You said you checked the the ground, but what if the ground isnt very good. Maybe a larger ground wire.

I dont really have any ideas about starters, just adding my 2cents.
the ground isnt the issue as the starter engages it just wont turn over and it started the first time. The problem is the flexplate and the starter I have. I need to call yank today and ask about what exact flexplate i use with this converter then i need to make sure i match that flexplate up with the appropriate starter. Im guessing the problem now is the 6.0 truck flexplate i have the overall diameter of the plate is slightly bigger than the 5.3 plate where i got the starter from causing the bendix to get stuck in the flexplate. Its all a big headache but i hope i get it figured out soon.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

what i think you can do is remove the nosecone off whatever starter you have, bolt it up to the block, and use your finger or rig up something to move the fork to engage/disengauge the pinion to the flexplate. It should move in and out easily and not stick. if it does then you know you have a dimension problem, the other thing to check for is depth the nosecone protrudes into the bellhousing and that when the pinion is fully pushed out that it lines up with the teeth on the flywheel/flexplate.

and stop calling it a bendix! it's not a bendix
Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what i think you can do is remove the nosecone off whatever starter you have, bolt it up to the block, and use your finger or rig up something to move the fork to engage/disengauge the pinion to the flexplate. It should move in and out easily and not stick. if it does then you know you have a dimension problem, the other thing to check for is depth the nosecone protrudes into the bellhousing and that when the pinion is fully pushed out that it lines up with the teeth on the flywheel/flexplate.

and stop calling it a bendix! it's not a bendix
ill call it w/e the hell i want , and all i did was swap to a dished flexplate and it turns over every time. Now i just have to deal with a po118 code . Thanks for your responses though.

Search this Thread