Buffed the Car this Weekend Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up Buffed the Car this Weekend Pics Inside

This was the Original Thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...g-bonnets.html

This was my first time out with my Orbital Buffer and I must say I was very impressed. I am not still sold on the Bonnet vs. Pad thing but the 10" cheapo model was light and did large areas with ease. I think this buffer works perfect for my Buick Century and my Wife's HHR but I think a Porter Cable maybe more applicable to the T/A. We will see.

Let me say that this process took me a while to do, correctly. I am VERY pleased 1st time out with it and I spent most of the time making sure I was buffing correctly and that the polish/glaze/and wax broke down properly. As well as getting it off.

The car is VERY well maintained but is stored in a place that has a bad roof and my "BEFORE" pics could not pick up on the hard water spots on the car, nor some of the transfer from the roof but needless to say, she needed a bath.

Here was my Process.

Wash- Maguire's Gold Class (had extra and other stuff I had. Had wax integrated)
Dry- Beat up Bathroom towels to get the heavy water, Microfiber for the rest
Clay Bar- Mother's and the car had allot on the hood and bumper
Wash- YES, you do need to do this
Dry- Same as the first.
Polish- No real swirls so I used Maguire's Cleaner Wax (paste)
Glaze- Maguire's Professional Glaze Show Car #7 (liquid)
Wax- Mags NXT GENERATION TECH WAX 2.0 PASTE (paste)

I used a applicator to apply to car, buffer to work it, and microfiber to remove except with the wax step, I used terry cloth.

This took from 7:30am to about 1:00pm and I work nearly every minute but the results are nothing short of spectacular. I ended up using Mag's Ultimate Quick Detailer as it acts as a combo of Speed Detailer and another layer of wax/water repellant.

PICS!

Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good but drying with beat up bath towels is horrible. Now that its waxed you shouldnt really need to dry much if you sheet the water off. And the second wash isnt really necessary if you clean up after each section. Just do an IPA wipe down.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Car looks great
Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

car look good, but where's the halogen shots to show the true condition of the paint?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
car look good, but where's the halogen shots to show the true condition of the paint?
Unfortunately, no Access one one at time of photo. I will try for sometime this next weekend. My veh is not even parked at the house due to room, so I gotta go get it, park it, do the work and when not driving it, it goes back and the place that is parked has no elec so no halogens.

But I will get a halogen shot.

As for the comment for the towels. The car had a great layer of protection. I just drap it over like a Chammy and let the towel asorb. Then is followed up by a Clean Microfiber.

I have had HORRIBLE luck with water blades and simply refuse to use them going fwd. The only one that I had luck with is a wiper blade that when pressed will flex down and leaves no residue. It got lost years ago and I have not found one like it since locally, I may give it a internet shot sometime this week. IF I find a pick I will post it. Picture it like a car wiper blade, as it forms to the curves.

Lastly, I felt the same way about the 2nd wash. BUT after claying, it took me like 5 mins to rinse and wash, then rinse and dry in another 5-10 so in the scheme of things its a small % of time to do the job right.

Like said, 1st time out with the Machine. I probably will still get a porter and cable as there is some smaller spots that the T/A would appreciate more.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my Favorite Colors!! Looks pretty good!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

very nice!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, it seems like you did a fine job for an amateur. Like I said in your other thread, check out some auto detailing forums and just browse through the threads to see what the professionals and experienced members are doing w/ their customer's cars. I learned a lot that way. like using simple green to clean the wheel wells, taping off creases, using dawn soap for full on details, having two buckets (1 for cleaning your sponge and the other for clean soapy water), keeping nets on the bottom so all the dirt and grime sink to the bottom and your sponge doesn't absorb that part, how to treat leather, etc.... You learn a lot!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, but you always need to get before pictures. I would also like to see some pictures with the halogen light.

That color really looks good after a detail. It looks very deep.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Looks good, but you always need to get before pictures. I would also like to see some pictures with the halogen light.

That color really looks good after a detail. It looks very deep.
Yea, that will be goal with the next car. I will have to make an effort to get the car in there and see what it looks like under a halogen.

As an Amature I am still learning but I think I have a great base. It is going to get better from here.

Quick Reply: Buffed the Car this Weekend Pics Inside