Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which springs and shocks to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which springs and shocks to choose?

Hi

I've gone through a lot of threads and seen a lot of pics but still confuse which springs and shocks to go for

my friend car has already installed with EBICH springs from his pre-owner but im not sure which type/height , the car is low so he decide to change it height a bit upper

so which springs size is good for ground clearance? since he's putting TSP LT'S+Y-PIPE ??

Also which shocks are excellent? does shock's effect the height? or it depands on the springs only?

Springs

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002-...nsion/Springs/

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm

Shocks

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002-...s-Accessories/
Attached Thumbnails Which springs and shocks to choose?-_1_-2.jpg   Which springs and shocks to choose?-img00043-20090927-d9-a0-d9-a0-d9-a1.jpg   Which springs and shocks to choose?-d9-a2-d9-a0-d9-a0-d9-a9-d9-a0-d9-a4-d9-a2-d9-a7-d9-a2-d9-a4-d9-a5.jpg   Which springs and shocks to choose?-2789_1127346473227_1514149041_30304306_1335404_n.jpg  

Last edited by Camaro ss 2001; 03-24-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

bump

up top
Old 03-23-2010, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

It depends on how much money he wants to spend, and how much ground clearance he wants. The most ground clearance will be going back to stock springs obviously, but if he wants to be lowered the next two springs I'd look at would be Sam Strano's springs, or the BMR's.

If he has the money, shocks should be Koni's hands down. If not, I think Sam still has a sale going on for some Billstein that would be a good second to the Koni's, but the Koni's handle the lowering springs a bit better.

Springs are the deciding factor in the cars ride height, some shock like the Koni's, have a "lower perch" they can be set on that drops an extra 3/4" I think, but that's only recommended to do with the stock shocks.

Also, in case it matters, most of the info is just what I've gathered from being on the forum and not from first hand experience. Hope it helps.

-Brandon.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Launching!

+1 for konis and strano springs. I've ridden in a car with that setup and it is amazing. Obviously $$$ but in my opinion it'd be better to save up for something nice then to mod and then mod again later.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sandsk8erz400
It depends on how much money he wants to spend, and how much ground clearance he wants. The most ground clearance will be going back to stock springs obviously, but if he wants to be lowered the next two springs I'd look at would be Sam Strano's springs, or the BMR's.

If he has the money, shocks should be Koni's hands down. If not, I think Sam still has a sale going on for some Billstein that would be a good second to the Koni's, but the Koni's handle the lowering springs a bit better.

Springs are the deciding factor in the cars ride height, some shock like the Koni's, have a "lower perch" they can be set on that drops an extra 3/4" I think, but that's only recommended to do with the stock shocks.

Also, in case it matters, most of the info is just what I've gathered from being on the forum and not from first hand experience. Hope it helps.

-Brandon.
thank u brandon for the help and advice man, appercited

actually he want to get his car lowerd but not that much so it can smell the ground

it helped a lot

thanx agian

Originally Posted by mrx8200
+1 for konis and strano springs. I've ridden in a car with that setup and it is amazing. Obviously $$$ but in my opinion it'd be better to save up for something nice then to mod and then mod again later.
u correct bro, thanx 4 ur advice
Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Launching!

I had eibach pro kit, i hated it, WAY too low and made the handling sketchy. Talk about NO traction, even with a stock ls1. You will also destroy your undercarrage. Why do you want to lower it lol they drive better stock height, if your going to lower it listen to these guys and do it right the first time or you will not like how it drives. Maybe Eibach Sport kit and some good adjustable shocks? Or some of the adjustable coil overs. A buddy of mine put thicker tires on his rather than lowering it to fill up the wheel wells and it looked great.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MemphisZ28
I had eibach pro kit, i hated it, WAY too low and made the handling sketchy. Talk about NO traction, even with a stock ls1. You will also destroy your undercarrage. Why do you want to lower it lol they drive better stock height, if your going to lower it listen to these guys and do it right the first time or you will not like how it drives. Maybe Eibach Sport kit and some good adjustable shocks? Or some of the adjustable coil overs. A buddy of mine put thicker tires on his rather than lowering it to fill up the wheel wells and it looked great.
Man i hate it too, considering it make the car too low! he had Eibach and he hate that's it , the car too much lowered thats why he planned to change them

thanx bro for the comment ^_^
Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eibachs i think give our cars the best and meanest looking stance. I got BMR/Konis waiting to go on.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Koni's with stock springs can lower the car .75/.5" from stock and still handle very well. What does he do with the car? If it's street/handling at all, please dont get QA1's!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:47 AM
12 Second Club

Anyone notice that in each picture that car had different rims? haha
Old 03-24-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't want to use lowering springs than use the stock ones.Get the koni sa shocks.You can use the lower perch 3/4" drop in the front and the heater hose mod in the rear for a 1/2" drop.That's what I did.The stocks springs are really pretty decent.If you want to lower it use the Strano lowering springs with the koni's.Call up Sam at Strano performance and talk to him.He is the man when it comes to this stuff.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
eibachs i think give our cars the best and meanest looking stance. I got BMR/Konis waiting to go on.
U correct but they make the car too low, good luck with ur setup

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Koni's with stock springs can lower the car .75/.5" from stock and still handle very well. What does he do with the car? If it's street/handling at all, please dont get QA1's!
its street bro, will try Koni cauz most of members are talking about them

Originally Posted by caseypryan
Anyone notice that in each picture that car had different rims? haha
hehehe, pre-owner have changed the rims 4 TIMES!!!

Originally Posted by transwiz
If you don't want to use lowering springs than use the stock ones.Get the koni sa shocks.You can use the lower perch 3/4" drop in the front and the heater hose mod in the rear for a 1/2" drop.That's what I did.The stocks springs are really pretty decent.If you want to lower it use the Strano lowering springs with the koni's.Call up Sam at Strano performance and talk to him.He is the man when it comes to this stuff.
that cool man, nice advice, will shall see Koni and Strano

any links for Koni and Strano springs website???
Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like stock springs with Koni shocks.

Otherwise if I wanted to change springs I would get Strano's, then perhaps Hotchkiss or the newer BMR spec ones.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro ss 2001
any links for Koni and Strano springs website???
www.stranoparts.com, he's a sponsor on here. As far as the koni site, i'm guessing www.koni.com, lol, but I don't know, you might need google for that one

Quick Reply: Which springs and shocks to choose?