Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Thinking about swapping my 408 from my wrecked camaro into a C5

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about swapping my 408 from my wrecked camaro into a C5

Some of you may have seen my thread in the lounge about the accident I had with the camaro and as of today its officially totaled. I should be getting a decent amount from insurance though so I need a new car to throw my stuff into. I would really like to get a vette but i know its going to be expensive. and more work to swap stuff into. I would like to pick up one for under 10k with some higher miles.

First of all, If i were to swap this motor and trans into a c5 what parts would i need to fit it in a vette. I figure I can reuse some parts from the vette to just throw on my motor and trans. so far I have come up with Oil pan, exhaust parts, my trans needs to be converted back to the vette, motor/trans mounts, clutch maybe?, a few sensors, PCM....thats all i can think of.

The next problem is gonna be that if the vette driveline will handle my nasty 408. Ive got a built trans and monster clutch to throw in, but im worried about the TQ tube and IRS. Although my stock driveshaft and 10 bolt didnt skip a beat with the 408 so I dont know. Keep in mind though i didnt get **** for traction.

This new car would be used for mostly street use but id like to hold my own at the track as well. Reason I want the vette is because I think It would just be sick to have one and be ALOT more fun to drive than an fbody. The plus side though with an fbody is that I should be able to pick up a roller for ALOT cheaper and maybe even have money to get a new rear end and everything i need for the track.

It will mostly be driven on the street but i want to keep it safe and keep the racing to the track. because thats how my camaro got wrecked.

What do you guys think of this? Does it sound like a good idea? Or should I just stick with Fbodys?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took a 402 out of my 2000 SS and swapped it into a 2003 Z06. The parts I used on the motor off the Z06 were...oil pan/windage tray/pickup tube, headers/exhaust, all front accessories, crank pulley (vette uses a different one), oil pressure sending unit, oil temp sensor (the piece above the oil filter).

Of course I had to get a LS2 90mm throttle body/wiring. I used the clutch I had in the Camaro (Monster stage 3). As far as the drivetrain of the vette, its all stock z06 with the addition of a DTE brace. I was told the stock z06 fuel pump is good to around 550rwhp so I left it alone.

I wouldnt suggest using the t56 front the fbody. The vette has a different trans than an fbody anyways.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Well the thing is about the trans is that mine was from a c6 z06 that was rebuilt to handle over 800ftlbs of tq and to fit in an fbody. So I figure I can just take the trans in the vette and convert the vette parts back onto my trans. Do you think that could work?
Old 03-24-2010, 03:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see why it wouldnt
Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gmmusclecarman
Well the thing is about the trans is that mine was from a c6 z06 that was rebuilt to handle over 800ftlbs of tq and to fit in an fbody. So I figure I can just take the trans in the vette and convert the vette parts back onto my trans. Do you think that could work?
The C6 transimission (Z06) had a different spline (30) so you'll need a C6 Z06 differential to make it work, along with C6 Z06 tranny case parts.

The C6 tranny has a different rear case.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
The C6 transimission (Z06) had a different spline (30) so you'll need a C6 Z06 differential to make it work, along with C6 Z06 tranny case parts.

The C6 tranny has a different rear case.
He can send his diff to someone like rpm or dte and they can upgrade to fit. I had my tranny built up with 30 spline and my diff to match on my 203 Z.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pittman
He can send his diff to someone like rpm or dte and they can upgrade to fit. I had my tranny built up with 30 spline and my diff to match on my 203 Z.
I just wanted to mention the differences, so the OP can figure out what additional dollars he's going to need to make it all work.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
I just wanted to mention the differences, so the OP can figure out what additional dollars he's going to need to make it all work.
Yeah, it doesn't sound like too bad of a project. Kind of a PITA to send the diff off though.

Quick Reply: Thinking about swapping my 408 from my wrecked camaro into a C5