Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Advise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Advise...

Alright, off of my long tubes I have a custom H pipe without cats that is 3'' in diameter. I love the sound and the feel but I also occasionally like to listen to the radio so I decided to have the exhaust run out the back. I had some spare tips lying around that looked good on the car so I told the exhaust shop to throw them on and just run the piping under the axle. The only thing I dont like about them is that the inlet on the Tips is 2.5'' but the shop said they would be fine.

Well...

They finished the job yesterday and they ended up running 2.5'' pipes after the mufflers (meaning they condensed the 3'' piping off of the headers to 2.5'' after the strait through mufflers) and up to the tips. Now the exhaust pops like hell and frankly sounds like ****. Ha the guy even called me and told me that he thought it sounded like ****.

I would like to hear what you guys think about going back and running 3'' pipe to the rear and just buying new tips with a 3'' inlet? would this eliminate the popping? (I would suspect so since the back pressure will be decreased) Or should I just say screw it and leave it dumped? Or any other suggestions? I was a little irritated that they used the 2.5'' piping in the first place but...
Old 03-23-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't like the way it sounds then have them change it, what was the reason they gave for the 2.5", clearance? From a performance standpoint, since you are running duals it won't affect flow that much unless you are are running some heavy mods.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

What kind of mufflers are you running??
Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
What kind of mufflers are you running??
Two Stainless Kooks Strait though mufflers. I went and drove it today and it sounded good until WOT and then it popped and sounded really nasty. I'm about to trade my tips for some with a 3'' opening and just have them take off the 2.5'' piping and run all 3'' i hope that takes out the popping sound