Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ditching cat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ditching cat?

I'm new here, so this may be posted elsewhere, but I have a dilemma. I have a stock 99 TA, and the catalytic converter has started to rattle. The local exhaust shop priced me a replacement cat for $180. I am contemplating selling the car, so I don't want to spend a lot on tuning mods or exhaust mods. I am wondering if I should pay them $180 for an installed stock replacement, or if I should just have them weld a pipe in place of the cc. If I do the latter option, do I have to have the car retuned to run properly? If so what's the best mail order tune on a budget? Basically I just want to know if there is a better option then spending $180 for a replacement cat. I'm obviously not real worrid about a huge performance improvement, just wondering what I should spend my money on.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't have to worry about passing emissions I would ditch the cat/cats all together. You will not need a tune after deleting a cat. If I didn't have emissions to worry about I would not have them. The only side effect of not having them is a minor exhaust/fuel odor... the upside is saving $$$ and gaining a few hp or in your case more than a few hp if they're clogged. Just my humble opinion...