Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacing the emergency shoes on a 98+ rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing the emergency shoes on a 98+ rear end

Ok doing a search I couldnt find anything. I also couldnt find anything looking in my firends fourthgen Haynes manual.

I have a 91 Camaro and I picked up a fourthgen rear end that I will be swaping in. I want it to be in tip top shape before it goes in so I power washed it, painted it, had the rotors turned, got Royal Purple gear oil and the GM limited slip additive, rebuilt calipers with new pads.

Ive gone this far so I decided new shoes for the e-brake, but I dont know how to take the old ones off.It appears their is a bracket with a single screw that holds it in place but the axle is in front of it. I really dont want to pull the axles off just to do this. The old shoes look ok compared to the new ones. I'm thinking to just say **** it and use the old ones.

How do you replace them?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

well the brakes are in the backing plate, so i would image you would have to take the backing plates off to get to them, which means you have to take the axles out.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

nope i was wrong. instructions straight from the gm spo

Park Brake Shoe Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. Remove the brake rotor. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement in Disc Brakes.

Object Number: 64007 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
2. Remove the parking brake shoe retaining clip and attaching screw.
3. Remove the parking brake shoe by sliding the brake shoe downward off tappet slot.

Installation Procedure

1. Turn the adjustable tappet until the tappet is seated against adjuster nut. Orient the slot radially (parallel with mounting flange).

Object Number: 64007 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
2. Install the parking brake shoe by sliding the shoe upwards into the tappet slots.

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
3. Install the parking brake shoe retaining clip and the attaching screw.
Tighten

Clip screw to 5 N·m (44 lb in).
4. Adjust the parking brake shoe to drum clearance. Refer to Park Brake Shoe Adjustment .
5. Install the brake rotor. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement in Disc Brakes.

Quick Reply: Replacing the emergency shoes on a 98+ rear end