Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Amp wont turn on

It's an Alpine PDX1.1000. Bought brand new in Feb of 09. Had it in till winter and took it out. Hooked it up for the first time since the winter. Was working fine, turned up loud a few times and went into protection mode.

No big deal, it's normal for them to do that when you turn it up REAL loud, so I turned it down and it came back on and it worked fine.

Fast forward 15 minutes cruisin down the block...crank it up, goes into protection mode...wont come out...no lights no nothing.

It lights up blue when normal and lights up red if blown or there is something wrong..but nothing at all.

Checked all fuses, ground, power wire, remote turn on, everything. Will NOT come on. Makes a pulsing noise when the remote turn on is connected so I know the connection is good in the dash.

I'm stumped.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

it is not normal for an amp to shut off when playing loud unless u are clipping the **** out of it
Old 03-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
it is not normal for an amp to shut off when playing loud unless u are clipping the **** out of it
It has a protection mode for it..they all do it. I bet all of the other PDX series amps do it too.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With proper power and ground it should not be shutting off. Did you give it a sniff make sure you didnt fry anything? I have three of these amps and as stated above they shouldnt be shutting off on ya

Oh and did you try unhooking the subs? Just a quick thing to check sometimes a loose wire on that end cant put the amp into protection too

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-23-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 03-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bondzilla
With proper power and ground it should not be shutting off. Did you give it a sniff make sure you didnt fry anything? I have three of these amps and as stated above they shouldnt be shutting off on ya
Nope no fried smell...I think it's the headunit(walmart) causing the shutoff. It did it once or twice with my Alpine(CDA-9887) that was stolen, but that was with all the settings turned up and the gain a good way up before it would. So i'm leaning toward the headunit causing the shutoff.

Originally Posted by bondzilla
Oh and did you try unhooking the subs? Just a quick thing to check sometimes a loose wire on that end cant put the amp into protection too
No ill check that...had no idea that a loose wire could cause the amp to go into protection mode.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-23-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4THGENCAMAROFAN
It has a protection mode for it..they all do it. I bet all of the other PDX series amps do it too.
correct 99% of amps have a protection and its for that reason to protect it but you shouldnt be hitting protect on a regular bassis, either its starving for power or being overheated, both will drastically shorten the amps life

A large majority of people other then those who have there gains way to high will play there stereo at loud listening levels and never hit protection
Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Launching!

correct 99% of amps have a protection and its for that reason to protect it but you shouldnt be hitting protect on a regular bassis, either its starving for power or being overheated, both will drastically shorten the amps life

A large majority of people other then those who have there gains way to high will play there stereo at loud listening levels and never hit protection
Like I said it rarely did it with my CDA-9887, and the gain was up a good way when it would go in to protect too.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

90% of the time its the ground, triple check you have a great ground.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trx250r
90% of the time its the ground, triple check you have a great ground.
Ground is fine...good contact on the amp and I sanded down on the "seatbelt windup bracket" where its grounded.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

have u check with a dmm at the amp
Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Launching!

have u check with a dmm at the amp
Your talking about a multimeter right??? I was gonna check the volts at the amp terminals but didn't have time tonight.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's an Alpine PDX1.1000. Bought brand new in Feb of 09. Had it in till winter and took it out. Hooked it up for the first time since the winter. Was working fine, turned up loud a few times and went into protection mode.

No big deal, it's normal for them to do that when you turn it up REAL loud, so I turned it down and it came back on and it worked fine.

Fast forward 15 minutes cruisin down the block...crank it up, goes into protection mode...wont come out...no lights no nothing.

It lights up blue when normal and lights up red if blown or there is something wrong..but nothing at all.

Checked all fuses, ground, power wire, remote turn on, everything. Will NOT come on. Makes a pulsing noise when the remote turn on is connected so I know the connection is good in the dash.

I'm stumped.
Your talking about a multimeter right??? I was gonna check the volts at the amp terminals but didn't have time tonight.
You said you checked the wires, but didn't use a multimeter? So all you did was check to see if they were still hooked up? That is a good start, but you cant be 100% sure that they are good until you know what is coming through.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99345hp
You said you checked the wires, but didn't use a multimeter? So all you did was check to see if they were still hooked up? That is a good start, but you cant be 100% sure that they are good until you know what is coming through.
It's been a few days since ive posted but it started workin the day after I started this thread. The night it stopped working I took it all out and put it back in the next day. I made sure everything was good with the multimeter and everything checked out ok so I hooked it all up and it started working. I'm not sure if the amp just had to reset or what.