Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon: Correct me if I'm wrong but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monsoon: Correct me if I'm wrong but...

Just wondering if the reason why GM changed their Monsoon specs to show 500 watts was due to the HU having 200rms(50x4 channels) and the amp 300rms(50x6-Firebirds have six speakers powered by the amp I think?). This would indicate 500 watts, but not for the amp alone. Also, are the sail panel subs actually considered subs? Are they any good when comparing to aftermarket sub?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The same Monsoon amp that was 250watts in the earlier Monsoon system a few years later suddenly became a 500watt system. There was no difference in the amps output....just a marketing scheme if you ask me.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

This is covered in the Monsoon FAQ sticky. The original 250W rating was an RMS rating (it's actually more like 240W but the difference is small). The later 500W rating for the same amp was a peak rating (really an ILS rating... If Lightning Strikes).

The ratings have nothing to do with head unit power. For one thing, head unit power and amp power are not additive - a system's rating is the power output to the speakers which is determined by the amp alone. For another, the "Monsoon" head unit is just an ordinary Delco radio that puts out maybe 15W RMS per channel into four channels - nowhere near 200W.

The Monsoon amp is an 8-channel amp. In Firebirds it powers six speaker locations because the sail panel subs are dual voice coil (using two channels each) and the tweeters are powered by the head unit. In Camaros it powers all eight of the speakers.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I read the faq but didn't know the ratings for the hu and the amp weren't additive. I don't see why not? Also, why would the HU not be 200 watt (peak perhaps) when every cheap unit out there can output that? Thanks.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Yes I read the faq but didn't know the ratings for the hu and the amp weren't additive. I don't see why not?
An amp is a device that multiplies the input it receives to produce its output. The amount of input isn't added to the output, it is multiplied by the amp.

When an amp is presented with twice as much input (whether from turning up the volume at the head unit or from installing a more powerful head unit), it just multiplies that input to produce output to the speakers up to it's maximum capacity. In other words, if you replace a 10 watt head unit with a 100 watt head unit you still don't get any more output from the amp (it is still only a 240W amp) but the output will reach maximum faster because a twist of the volume control will produce 10 times as much input to the amp.

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Also, why would the HU not be 200 watt (peak perhaps) when every cheap unit out there can output that? Thanks.
The output specs on the factory head unit aren't published anywhere so a lot of this is experience and speculation. Most aftermarket HUs produce 14W to 18W RMS per channel with better ones getting into the 20W-22W range. The general rule is that peak output is approximately twice RMS although many HU manufacturers seem to use 50W as their peak output regardless of the RMS rating (e.g. low end Kenwoods with 14W RMS are rated at 50W peak the same as their better 22W RMS units).

We know that the Delco factory head units are nowhere near the top end of electronics so it seems safe to figure they produce about 14W RMS (28W peak) into four channels or about 56W RMS (112W peak) total. Also, knowing how much distortion the Delco head units produce, even those ratings are probably inflated. There's a big difference between 14W RMS at 0.1% THD (e.g. Pioneer) and 14W RMS at 10% THD.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-25-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
An amp is a device that multiplies the input it receives to produce its output. The amount of input isn't added to the output, it is multiplied by the amp.

When amp amp is presented with twice as much input (whether from turning up the volume at the head unit or from installing a more powerful head unit), it just multiplies that input to produce output to the speakers up to it's maximum capacity. In other words, if you replace a 10 watt head unit with a 100 watt head unit you still don't get any more output from the amp (it is still only a 240W amp) but the output will reach maximum faster because a twist of the volume control will produce 10 times as much input to the amp.

The output specs on the factory head unit aren't published anywhere so a lot of this is experience and speculation. Most aftermarket HUs produce 14W to 18W RMS per channel with better ones getting into the 20W-22W range. The general rule is that peak output is approximately twice RMS although many HU manufacturers seem to use 50W as their peak output regardless of the RMS rating (e.g. low end Kenwoods with 14W RMS are rated at 50W peak the same as their better 22W RMS units).

We know that the Delco factory head units are nowhere near the top end of electronics so it seems safe to figure they produce about 14W RMS (28W peak) into four channels or about 56W RMS (112W peak) total. Also, knowing how much distortion the Delco head units produce, even those ratings are probably inflated. There's a big difference between 14W RMS at 0.1% THD (e.g. Pioneer) and 14W RMS at 10% THD.
Oh ok i see now. I know that total harmonic distortion is what is important *(why I bought a Denon 988 for my home receiver) but didn't quite get rms I guess. Thanks for taking the time sir.