Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Purchasing site unseen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing site unseen?

I've seen posts from various people about buying out of state vehicles and shipping them. Looking for experiences with doing the site unseen purchases, things to look for, etc. As it stands, I am probably that for my purchase.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

I live in NY and bought my V a few weeks ago sight unseen from Ohio. Ask for lots of pics and specific ones so you know they are recent. Check any posts you know they have on any forums etc.... in regards to any problems. I purchased with a warranty so I was really not concerned though.

You can tell alot about someone's character by a few phone conversations. The day before mine was scheduled to be picked up, the gentleman called me to advise he found a leak in the radiator and refunded me $200 to buy a new one. He was more mad at the fact he took it out of storage at the last minute to check it over. The leak is miniscule too.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Bought my V sight unseen.

It all depends on whether the guy your speaking to sounds trusting. I spoke to many dealerships on the phone. You can easliy tell which ones just want to get you down to their lot. Im talkin about big 3 dealer ships.

One salesman insisted that I come down to the lot and check out the V and if I dont like it, hes got other types of vehicles to choose from. I told him in only in the market for a V. I set up an appointment to view the car. Im from michigan, car was in chicago. It was a major Ford dealer down there. I called 2 days later to confirm the appointment. I proposely spoke to another salesman. The guy never took down the appointment. So I called back and spoke to him, he lied and said hes got me down. At that point, I just moved on to another car.

Make sure you call multiple times, speak to different sales reps. The sales rep I bought my car from was a female. Some reason they are more truthful than the men. She kept me up to date with paper work. Overnighted everything. Took pictures before getting it shipped to me.

Last edited by Driven2slow; 03-25-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also had mine shipped from CO to TX because they were about about 5k cheaper at max for same mileage,condition V's... another thing that you can do is have them video tape a walk around of the car while its running.. Also have them check the DVD and CD player, and also make sure the center console is not busted.. I speak from experience so make sure you have those checked!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the cost of a V, I just dont have the ***** to spend that cash with looking at or driving it. Once you get the car your screwed without taking it to court if the seller is an a hole. My suggestion is if its possible, fly out and see it and drive it if you think its the one. $300 now is better then getting a car thats not what you thought it was. I would make them think your gonna ship it and say I think im gonna fly out and look at it, so they dont get caught in anything.

If it were a 3k dollar fbody roller, id have it shipped, not a 18-25k dollar car. But thats just me.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:00 PM

I bought mine unseen as well from CA. I bought it through Carmax with 15,XXX miles on it alittle over a year and a half ago. The price was the same as other 05's with 20,000 more miles on them. I also bought an extended warranty too, but the car now has like 46,000 miles on it with no problems. the car looked great but 3 of the rims had some curb rash that you couldnt see from the pictures. But other than that I would probably do it again for a some what rare car but not through Carmax because they suck.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bought mine off ebay out of arizona and I'm in texas. It was about a year and a half ago and the car only had 5K miles, it was owned by an exec. For the cardinal (so I was told) so I assumed it didn't get driven much. It was from a 50 year standing cadillac dealer, so after tons of pics and a carfax and the 100K warranty I was confident it was the one. Just check out all the info you can on the car and if it does or doesn't feel right, you'll know.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with buying sight unseen! Carfaqs and warranty is the key!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, found an 07 still under warranty, have lots of pictures of it, and they all look good. Apparently it has a corsa exhaust on it, which I found in the pictures after sealing the deal. Not sure whether it is just corsa tips or a whole system, guess I will see when it gets here. The shipping company picks it up tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AshrDashr
Yeah, found an 07 still under warranty, have lots of pictures of it, and they all look good. Apparently it has a corsa exhaust on it, which I found in the pictures after sealing the deal. Not sure whether it is just corsa tips or a whole system, guess I will see when it gets here. The shipping company picks it up tomorrow.
I didnt know my car had corsa on it till I recieved it. But I could tell from the pictures it wasnt factory.