Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Struts for my 2004 V

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struts for my 2004 V

Had my V for about a year now and its time for new struts (atleast front for now). First, how do I determine if I have the FE1 or FE4 suspension? I'm assuming FE1 is more common.

Assuming I do have the FE1, what brand would you recommend? So far all I've really found are KYB which are $112 for the front.

Also www.gmpartsdirect.com Anyone ordered parts thru them? Front struts are $86 each there.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help
Old 03-27-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blufftonctsv
Had my V for about a year now and its time for new struts (atleast front for now). First, how do I determine if I have the FE1 or FE4 suspension? I'm assuming FE1 is more common.

Assuming I do have the FE1, what brand would you recommend? So far all I've really found are KYB which are $112 for the front.

Also www.gmpartsdirect.com Anyone ordered parts thru them? Front struts are $86 each there.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help
They're not really struts (like a mcpherson) but true coil over shocks. FE4 was standard on the V. FG2s are pretty pricey and are hard to get. QA1s might be a lower cost alternative. Maybe someone who upgraded has a decent set of FE4s for sale. You can check ebay or the classifieds. Be careful with $86 shocks on a $55,000 car. Make sure you're not using a standard CTS shock application for the CTSV. You can save money but might be dissapointed. See this link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ks-struts.html
Old 03-27-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The $86 shocks on GMPartsDirect are FE4s and have an MRSP of $165. Considered together with shipping you can get them for about the same at Rock Auto.

My V came with FG2s, but I replaced the fronts with FE4s during an FG2 replacement shortage, which may be still going on. In any event, I think the FE4s are better matched with the stock springs, which are just too soft for the FG2s. As a result the FE4, in my opinion, is a better choice than the FG2s for daily street use. You can use FE4s upfront regardless of which you have on the rear.

On the track, the FG2s coupled with heavier springs are hard to beat.

Quick Reply: Struts for my 2004 V