Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cheap shocks?

Old 03-27-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Cheap shocks?

I'm about to get an LT1 Camaro for a DD and it's in desperate need of new shocks. I don't want to put much money into this car at all.

Would I be better off to get a set of used SS or WS6 shocks, or a set of used Monroe ones? I can get a great deal on the Monroe ones. I also plan on lowering the car. Will this have a substancial impact on what shocks to get?

As for springs, do the LT1 cars take different springs than the LS1 cars?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to keep it simple, if you're lowering it do not use stock or stock replacement shocks. if you're not willing to spend money for decent shocks, then don't lower it at all, especially if it's a daily driver. lowering springs need to be a higher rate than stock, and stock shocks can't handle it. the shocks will wear out prematurely and never be able to handle them in the first place so it will ride like it has worn out shocks; exactly as it does now, only worse because it has stiffer springs. and ls1 and lt1 springs will work on whichever car no problem, weight differences are minimal.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

For a good inexpesive shock you could go with the KYB Agx and you have adjustability for your ride. I wouldn't put used stock shocks on they wont help a whole lot
Old 03-27-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigj2717
For a good inexpesive shock you could go with the KYB Agx and you have adjustability for your ride. I wouldn't put used stock shocks on they wont help a whole lot
Totally agree. I've got KYB AGX shocks and they are very good especially for the price they can be had at.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv got some KYBs for cheap or make me an offer....PM me..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...box-cheap.html
Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for the help guys. I'm almost completely ignorant when it comes to suspension.

Should I want to lower the car, and not have the shocks wear out prematurely, what shocks should I look at.

Lowering isn't a must, but I'm seriously considering it.

I figured that anything would be a step up (hence considering the used F-body parts). The car has 300,000km shocks on it.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

KYB's at a minimum for lowering. if you're willing to spend a bit more bilsteins and koni's are good choices. i just went from bilsteins which were decent to koni's and they're excellent.

Search this Thread