Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st, 2nd, or 3rd gen camaro????

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gen camaro????

what would probably the easier and better swap for a lsx with a t56? i did see somewhere the on the 1st gen, the tranny is further back. i would need the tranny to be in the stock location because i'm 5'7". on my 93 lt1 corvette i can sit almost all the way back, but if it was a stick, i would be alot closer. i'm getting sick of driving automatics all the time and having the itch for a stick car.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

How much money you want to spend? They increase in price as they get older. There's plenty of aftermarket now for first second and thirdgens. I'd say thirdgen would be a little harder swap due to electronics in those years (electric speedo ect..) just more wires to hook up. I went thirdgen cause A. I already had it and B. First gen camaros are to expensive.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

I would say you completely skip the 2nd gens (too heavy and the worst aero) and head for either the 1st or third gens.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Huryk
I would say you completely skip the 2nd gens (too heavy and the worst aero) and head for either the 1st or third gens.
No, the first gens are the worst aero, by far. And they're way overpriced. If you want to daily drive it, definitely go with the disposable third gens. Far better in as crash, far more likely to be a/c-equipped, far fewer mods needed to be good in the canyons. And far easier to find those parts in the salvage yards. The only downside is that even though all '83 up F-cars used hydraulic clutch release, the hydraulics are near impossible to get bled correctly.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Blownz28man
How much money you want to spend? They increase in price as they get older. There's plenty of aftermarket now for first second and thirdgens. I'd say thirdgen would be a little harder swap due to electronics in those years (electric speedo ect..) just more wires to hook up. I went thirdgen cause A. I already had it and B. First gen camaros are to expensive.
i'm leaning more towards the 1st gen. after i paint my corvette and replace the ignition i would probably have enough to get a good 1st gen. i agree that they are getting pricey. and i'll go with a used engine and tranny. i just found out the tranny is 4" back from stock. then my dad told me if i went without a console like the older cars did, the distance back wouldn't really be noticeable. at least with a 1st gen i could run a better flowing exhaust than a 3rd gen. my dream car is a 69 camaro, but i'll probably have to settle for a 67 or 68. then i saw that the gto t56 trannys are better, but not exactly sure what i'll do. just doing all the research first. depending on funds, will say what motor to go with. i think i can get a 5.3 or 6.0 cheaper than a ls1, then find a tranny. or get ls1 with t56. for a 1/4 mile time i want to stay in the street class, so be at 12.0 and be capable of a cage time (maybe change shift points). it would be a street/strip car and i want the roll bar in the car to show what it's capable of. if i went the 3rd gen route it would have to be t-top, but with a 1st gen i would put a/c in it.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

90-92 Camaro will require the least amount of changes resulting in the lowest cost for a swap

Kits are available for every aspect of the swap. Fab nothing unless you want to
Old 03-28-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've done a second gen (79 Z in sig) and am trying to finish my 92 RS. The 79 was the easier swap for me. This 92 has been kickin my butt.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Whats giving you trouble?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

mainly the wiring, but tonight it was the tranny lines. Actually I was going to PM you over at thirdgen about my wiring questions
Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the easiest swap will be to the third gens. half the parts are interchangeable with the 4th gen cars, making a swap over that much easier and cheaper. then there's the other cost and availability advantages mentioned in the posts already.

with a third gen- you can use the stock ls oil pan without modification, use the stock 4th gen camaro/ firebird fuel tank- giving you the pump and regulator all in one factory fitting package. if you use that- use the later plastic tank. it has a removable rubber filler neck that needs an inch or so of trimming. the removable neck makes it easier to install, too.

Just make sure you remove any fusible links as the higher power draw from the electronic fuel injected cars will eventually overload it and burn it out- leaving you stranded. Ask me how I know...
Old 03-28-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

I hope you put some sort of fused protection back in once the links were removed. Several functions are only protected by those links
Old 03-28-2010, 11:53 PM

what accessories are needed on a 1st gen? would a gto be a better donor than a 4th gen or corvette or maybe a 5th gen?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

I'd say the most common is the 98-02 Camaro/firebird accessorys. You could use corvette.. the alternator is a top mount the sticks further out on the driver side. Really dunno about 5th gen camaro. Keep in mind you can always top mount the alternator on the 4th gen accessorys.

Quick Reply: 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gen camaro????