Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My SLP Loudmouth 2 install and review! ENTER *2 small pics*

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My SLP Loudmouth 2 install and review! ENTER *2 small pics*

SO I have really been on the fence about which catback to buy...sure the Magnaflow is the obvious choice and the GMMG being second to it. I have always run SLP exhausts on my cars and loved them. Everyone says the LM1 and LM2 are way too loud, tinny, and raspy. I loved my other loudmouth exhaust on my Grand Prix and figured it would only be better on an LS1. I caved in and after literally weeks of being ready to buy the Magna...I bought the SLP LM2 exhaust with single tips (Thanks WS6store for the awesome prices, fast shipping, and great customer service, I know I called more than once to ask about catbacks).

Started the install today around 4 o clock. Had my buddy Nick to help out, I knew we would need a garage, a torch, a sawzall and some deep well sockets. We jacked the car up from the passenger side about 18 inches in front of the rear tire. Car way up off the ground, we started cutting and yanking. EVerything came off pretty easy, made a few cuts and was left with a 100% rusted on pipe to the Y merge...I mean 100%. We heated it up until it was glowing red, smashed the **** out of it with a hammer and it wouldnt budge. Nothing....stuck. Luckily we had one last hope, we cut just the top pipe enough and heated it enough to peel it off, it was a pain, but finally after 30 minutes of broken knuckles we peeled the old pipe off and wiggled it free.

With the old stuff off, it was about 5 o clock now, an hour into the install. We sanded down the merge and cleaned it up. The small intermediate pipe slipped on, then the loudmouth bullet, then an up pipe, then the big and awkward piece for over the axle. We mocked this up and slipped some clamps over it, we tightened everything about hand tight. I did buy a 3 inch exhaust band clamp and used it on the pipe that goes up and over the axel..worked like a charm. With all this in, all we had left was the small L shaped pipe for the drivers side tip. We tightened from the merge back.

With everything up and snug, we lowered the car and adjusted the tips (sorry no pics yet). Rolled the car out and fired her up at about 6 PM (2 hour install, taking our time).

**Warning, my personal opinion is posted below, Stock Manifolds and cats!!**

I am 100% in love with this exhaust. It is a little louder than stock at idle and revving it when parked, sounds great; DEEP and LOUD!

Took it out for a spin with the SLP lid and a new MAC air filter. Car just sounds mean. It is so deep and bassy. A slight burble when I let off the gas and just incredible!!

Yes, this exhaust drones at 2,000RPMs, but what exhaust worth your time wont (okay, maybe Corsa)? This exhaust is awesome!! This is an entirely acceptable exhaust for a DD, you can hold a convo and enjoy your music.

Whoever said this exhaust is raspy and annoying...go pound sand and make sure you dont have a vibration from a bad install, tighten your clamps! On stock manifolds and Y this exhaust is absolutely beautiful. Deep, loud, and it burbles just a bit!! No, this is not as loud as a tin can Civic or even my little 600cc rice bike with a can, this exhaust sounds deep and mean.

Volume is hard to explain, sure you can hear it pull in the driveway, but you will not hear this exhaust a few streets over unless you go WOT. It is awesome!

Go out an buy an SLP loudmouth today!!

Fitment- 8/10
Install ease- 9/10 (not counting the damn, rusted stocker)
Happiness- 9/10 (would be a 10/10 if it were free!)
Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have heard my buddies car many times. When he changed the y then LM1 the car sounded mean. Very deep and good at almost any rpm.

After the headers it still sounded good but raspy at over 2k rpm.

With his cam somewhere 23x/23x 595/595 at 112 lsa I believe. The car sounded raspy as hell all the time. I honestly think it sounds down rite awful at everything but idle.

Basically in a nutshell, if your not going crazy with the car you will be happy with LM systems.

Just my experience with LM systems
Old 03-27-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what would "Loudmouth" sound like in a turbocharged application.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

No one every said it didn't sound good on stock manifolds its when you start modding that it sounds like ****. I loved mine too when my car was stock but after adding a cam,headers,and a stall it sounded like total crap. Nothing but rasp and drone to go along with the obnoxious unrefined loudness. I eventually went with a Borlamout which was a little better but my setup now of a Powerflo and e-cutout solved the rasp and drone problem. Good luck man, glad you like it now but after modding your gonna hate it.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Had a LM1 on for years, circa 2003. Finally gutted the cats late last year during a tranny rebuild and ended up going out and buying a Dynomax bullet to throw in place of the resonator. I still have some rasp but I can live with it. Like Detoxx said, on a stocker it's great. Anything after that and it gets a little annoying.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LM2 sounds amazing on stock manifolds with cats. Not so much with headers and ory, as other stated. I'm still waiting to hear my buddy's '00 SS with LT's, high flow cats, and LM2 though.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:02 AM
On The Tree

Glad your setup came out good. I haven't heard any with stock manifolds, but I have have the LM1 setup on my TA and it's rapsy and drones. (Car has LTs, ORY, !cats, stall, etc.) I can't wait to switch to true duals.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Only future mods would be headers and hi flow cats, I can't imagine that sounding bad. I understand a catless Y sounding raspy and tinny.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Banned

Glad you like your exhaust! I have had my LM2 for a year now. Due to my mods I had to add a magnaflow bullet to help quiet down the car. I love my exhaust too!
Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the LM1 a couple years back, make sure your tips are past the bumper, if not it will drone inside. I found this out when I cut my old tips off to put some new ones on. If it exits under the car, it will drone inside.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Only future mods would be headers and hi flow cats, I can't imagine that sounding bad. I understand a catless Y sounding raspy and tinny.
It will. Been there done that and won't go back.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad you're happy with the choice. I've always loved my original LM.

There's this Hwy on ramp near my house that runs beneath an overpass, AND where rush-hour traffic piles up to a stand still on the other side of the Hwy. I love hitting WOT under the bridge and catching all the gaping mouths in the captive audience on the other side of the HWY.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Loud mouths sound great with stock manifolds. Add headers and then they get really loud and raspy.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

imo, high-flow cats are enough to take the edge off if you run with LT's and ORY...

Some people don't like it, though; my neighbor jokingly asked if he could record my car starting up for his wife's alarm clock
Old 03-28-2010, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FUN LS1
Glad you're happy with the choice. I've always loved my original LM.

There's this Hwy on ramp near my house that runs beneath an overpass, AND where rush-hour traffic piles up to a stand still on the other side of the Hwy. I love hitting WOT under the bridge and catching all the gaping mouths in the captive audience on the other side of the HWY.
Don't get me wrong...if you want LOUD and attention, the LM1 with Lts & ORY will get you there, but damn! Whenever I drive through a tunnel with my windows down I give it a little throttle blip and I haven't heard anything that damn loud.
It sucks when going to drive throughs also. I just turn off my car to order, but I sometimes feel bad for the people trying to order right behind me.

To the OP:

Anyway, just know that when LTs, ORY, and !CATS happen...say hello to loud noise, rasp, and drone.

Keep it like it is now and you're in the clear.

PS: I'll have a complete LM1 with tips for sale shortly.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great writeup! Thanks for posting, this is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'm now sold on the LM2.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the love of god, wear some eye protection when under the car!! Haha, I woke up this morning and rubbed my eyes...had a piece of rust fall into the sink from my eye....yucky.

As I said before, the car would ONLY see headers and hi flow cats...I refuse to run a car without some kind of cats on it...I cannot stand that smell everyday. Yes, I love the racetrack and the smell there, but not anywhere else!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Banned

Hi flow cats are a good idea to filter exhaust fumes! I have them on mine.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

I just ordered my LM2 which should arrive first thing in the morning, my question is, can you install this exhaust yourself or will I have to pay for installment?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28boycali
I just ordered my LM2 which should arrive first thing in the morning, my question is, can you install this exhaust yourself or will I have to pay for installment?
I just recently installed my SLP LM1 setup..

It can be done by yourself but, its so much easier with a helping hand.

Most important note in the instructions is to avoid tightening those clamps until the install is complete and you have everything in the position you want it. Snugging them is fine just to hold everything in place.

Quick Reply: My SLP Loudmouth 2 install and review! ENTER *2 small pics*