Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Procharged FRC on the dyno today

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Procharged FRC on the dyno today

Well I ventured over to Keith's today because I talked to him and he said he wasn't sure if some diesel guys were goin to show up. So I went down this morning and threw the car on before any trucks showed up.

Not sure WTF is goin on w/ my car. I had checked the AFR @ WOT on the street a couple of times and didn't get any knock. Today she said FU!!!

I was getting 7-8* of knock @ WOT. I had the timing down to 12-13* @ WOT and was still getting crazy amounts.

My AFR was right on 11.7-11.8 like I wanted. IAT's were 63*, injector duty cycle was 83%, coolant temp was 187*, fuel pressure was holding @ 57-58psi, and to top it all off I was seeing 8# @ 6700rpm.

If anyone has a clue why the thing wants to knock like a **** please chime in. I have NGK TR6's in the car, had a good tank of Sunoco 93....

Part of the problem is the knock, but also the last pull I did on the dyno the clutch smelled nice and toasty, so I am not sure if the things isn't holding, but there are no dips in my dyno graphs.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On my supercharged Vette we just unplugged the KR sensors and ran them like that for 3 years.I use to get alot of false KR from the belt drive.Ran 14lbs of boost on the stock motor and straight 93 octain for that time too.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
On my supercharged Vette we just unplugged the KR sensors and ran them like that for 3 years.I use to get alot of false KR from the belt drive.Ran 14lbs of boost on the stock motor and straight 93 octain for that time too.
False Knock? Dont like the term and dont quite understand it...

Is there a solution to false knock other than unplugging the knock sensors?
Is it possible to use some extra teflon tape when installing knock sensors?

What causes it vibration? Noise?

Is it worth it to try and install newer knock sensors?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mikep2002
False Knock? Dont like the term and dont quite understand it...

Is there a solution to false knock other than unplugging the knock sensors?
Is it possible to use some extra teflon tape when installing knock sensors?

What causes it vibration? Noise?

Is it worth it to try and install newer knock sensors?
While false knock might sound goofy, the sensors you're using can't differentiate between what creates a given frequency/amplitude. If the sensors are set to retard timing when outside a given excitation value (For whatever they measure), they are not smart enough to tune out the added noise from a blower setup.

With 03/04 Cobras, knock sensors were eliminated completely because the Eaton blower made it impossible to run them (At the time, with the resources they had).

Vibrations create noise, so yes those are both causes.

As for the OP, I'm not certain that's your problem. I'd suggest having someone who knows how to look at the tune for a GM vehicle see what they think, which would probably require a good datalog or them being there.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:09 PM
9 Second Club

351carlo, I cant quite swallow that. So many blower cars dont have problems with knock sensors... The car never had a problem with knock before granted its a new motor but the car is by no means on the aggressive side... So how does one calm down the the knock sensors make them a bit less sensitive? Thats my big question or should they just be replaced?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mikep2002
351carlo, I cant quite swallow that. So many blower cars dont have problems with knock sensors... The car never had a problem with knock before granted its a new motor but the car is by no means on the aggressive side... So how does one calm down the the knock sensors make them a bit less sensitive? Thats my big question or should they just be replaced?
Yea like I said, I have no idea with the LSx based stuff if that can cause it. I'm also not sure how sensitive the knock sensors are in that vehicle. Really you'd need a scope to find out what they're doing, but I'd imagine the HP Tuners has a way to measure it as well.

All I meant to explain was that just because they're activating, doesn't mean they're sensing actual knock.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

yea, not sure what is goin on.

I agree w/ MikeP though, there are alot of blower cars that have no problems w/ knock sensors. But on the other hand I have heard of false knock problems coming LT headers, Yella Terra rockers, etc...

I have my tune and dyno log posted up in the PCM section..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-di...l#post13100574
Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Was KR increasing w/ RPM?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 351carlo
Yea like I said, I have no idea with the LSx based stuff if that can cause it. I'm also not sure how sensitive the knock sensors are in that vehicle. Really you'd need a scope to find out what they're doing, but I'd imagine the HP Tuners has a way to measure it as well.

All I meant to explain was that just because they're activating, doesn't mean they're sensing actual knock.
Whateverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Dam ford guy!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know if the knock sensors are the same in a 2000 corvette and fbody? I have a knock desensitizer I forget who makes it. I had to use it on my 1998 camaro cause it would always get 2deg's or so of false knock with the exhaust. Put that on and my dyno power came right back. To test it, I ran race gas in the car to see if it were knocking and colder plug. Nothing changed it so I put that little puppy in, connected to the rear KR sensor and she was good to go.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Get rid of that knock Dustin. I'm still saying 616whp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

hit that thing with a 100 shot lol
Old 03-29-2010, 05:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to sell that blower and get that NANO system
Old 03-29-2010, 05:56 AM
TECH Regular

LMAO!!! ahhhh.... Lt. Dan, I about ready....

I posted up the question on how to fix this. So far I got all the responses I was planning on, " you got bad gas", "put race fuel in her", "it's burst knock"

Well here is why I don't think it's bad gas, if I roll into the throttle from about 2500rpm she'll pull like a frieght train & won't knock.

If I just mash the throttle it will knock like a ****. I messed w/ my burst knock table but don't think I have it done correctly.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Launching!

could you hear any audible pinging on the dyno..?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

nope, no audible knock

Zturd video taped all my pulls and there are no sparks are crap flying outta the exhaust. It actully looks really clean, no smoke, loud backfires or crap like that.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Launching!

I would unplug the sensors next time then.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by A_VAS
I would unplug the sensors next time then.
Dont listen to this guy C5kid you dont know where he works and look he drives a freaking caddy!!!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C5kid
LMAO!!! ahhhh.... Lt. Dan, I about ready....

I posted up the question on how to fix this. So far I got all the responses I was planning on, " you got bad gas", "put race fuel in her", "it's burst knock"

Well here is why I don't think it's bad gas, if I roll into the throttle from about 2500rpm she'll pull like a frieght train & won't knock.

If I just mash the throttle it will knock like a ****. I messed w/ my burst knock table but don't think I have it done correctly.
I couldn't resist. I hope you get it straightened out. Remember you need to help me with my car soon.

Quick Reply: Procharged FRC on the dyno today