Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 06:47 PM
DJ
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 8.8 questions...

i appoligize first for the lack of knowledge i have here. i have tried searching and there is a good bit of into on the 8.8, but not exactly what i was looking for maybe someone here could sum it up for me.
here's what i have
2001 M6 SS ,TCS and ABS
stock 10 bolt diff #2

also have ford 8.8 full rear, with 4.10 gear
form what i understand i need to order axles from someone like moser that are 31 spline (same as rear) that are for an 8.8/f body setup?
whats the best solution for the torque arm? driveshaft? and whats the easiest way to set up the abs/tcs. there are people around here that want to do this for me but im not gonna guinnea pig my car for someones own over zealousness, so id like to see/learn exactly what the best way to set it up is and then deciede who i would like to do it, thanks again for any help, thanks a million--DJ

Last edited by DJ; 01-03-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:46 PM
DJ
Staging Lane

ttt, anyone
Old 01-04-2004, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Your in somewhat "new" territory, that's why the lack of responses. I'm considering 2 options, one to piece it together, (but I'm not handy), two, buy it ready to bolt in.

I'm looking at an 8.8 to my door at $2100.00, with 3 channel ABS, TA Cover, and stud kit. If you need further details, PM me....
Old 01-05-2004, 05:02 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

DJ, you'll need a jig w/ properly setup perfect measurements, a set of 10 bolt axle tubes, and a artistic touch on the TQ arm mount before you'll have a completely 8.8 that will work in an F-body..

josh
Old 01-05-2004, 06:46 PM
DJ
Staging Lane

thanks for the replys guys--yeah its kinda new but i thought i had read of quite a few people already having 8.8's, maybe they just went the bolt in route--i know that for 2100 bucks i would rather do the 9" for the pure ease of swapping our the gear, but thats b/c im fickle, and wouldnt be able to make up my mind. there is a "guy" locally that did an 8.8 for mikes TA, and his works great, he even posts here (rarely), im guessing i will just let him have at it, i just hate not being more informed about something on my own car--thanks again--DJ
Old 01-07-2004, 04:21 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ
thanks for the replys guys--yeah its kinda new but i thought i had read of quite a few people already having 8.8's, maybe they just went the bolt in route--i know that for 2100 bucks i would rather do the 9" for the pure ease of swapping our the gear, but thats b/c im fickle, and wouldnt be able to make up my mind. there is a "guy" locally that did an 8.8 for mikes TA, and his works great, he even posts here (rarely), im guessing i will just let him have at it, i just hate not being more informed about something on my own car--thanks again--DJ
DJ, I think you're talking about Henry? He set up Mike's gears, but he didn't build the 8.8 housing itself. Mike got his rear from the same guy in Texas....
Old 01-08-2004, 05:13 PM
DJ
Staging Lane

oh ok, i had heard mike had a "guy" do it,, didnt know it was henry and i didnt know he only did the gears like i said i was going like 4th hand , its crazy what gets shifted around. building the 8.8 isnt the problem, its more the axle tube part, and then whatever i have to do with the torque arm, time to shop around i guess, i just hate to buy what i already have here, i think ill keep looking, someone around here has to be able to do it, its not that complex, i just would like to find someone who isnt expanding their learning curve on my car--its hard enough for me to let someone else work on it. thanks for the help guys--DJ
Old 01-10-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

my bro (i assume your talking bout mikeyws99) got the 8.8 from some dude like you said. The posi's aren't tough. He ate a few of them, before getting the eaton posi unit (1 year warranty!). It was stronger than his t56, thats all i can say 6000rpm launches on ET's, crazy shiz.

if you want i can pass your # to my bro if you want to shoot the **** about the setup its good and bad, etc. he's run a full season on it at least and knows the good and bad pretty good. Like the 12 bolt, from my understanding, it is not the perfect solution, but it is a solution that works pretty good.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:47 PM
DJ
Staging Lane

thanks again--i spoke with mike yesterday and i think we came up with the best solution for me, thanks again to all who chimmed in--ill post up some pics and info when i get all the parts--DJ
Old 01-14-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

let us know how it goes...thanks

John
Old 01-17-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yah I spoke with DJ about the 8.8, it was a very cheap alternative for me since it was only 1100 bucks (b/c it's 28 spline and had a stock mustang trac-loc in it). It has moser axles, abc, tcs, etc. I broke the stock mustang take-out track lock spider gears at the track on slicks, but I have since bought a Heavy Duty EATON Posi (the spider gears are twice the size of the stock one) and it has a 1 year UNCONDITONAL warranty. How could I pass it up right I have since picked up 2 tenths from just the posi swap 12.39 was best, and now it is 12.19 from a stupid posi, lol. It's got about 50+ slick passes on it and it's holding up perfectly (knock on wood). I daily drive it 110-120 miles too. If I could have afforded a 9" I would have bought one, but for half the price I couldn't pass it up, especially since I was a mustang guy.

Cheers.