Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ghetto lowering...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghetto lowering...

I'm sure this is frowned upon here, but what are the free/inexpensive ways to lower your car?

I know about the hose mod, but I guess this only does the rear of the car?
Good info in the sticky, but I'm a total suspension nub and I need pictures to understand lol.

My car already rides like absolute ****, so I'm not worried about that.
The car sat for a long time before I got it and I think the previous owner said they replaced the shocks or springs or something, but it must have been cheap ****.

This summer I'm planning on doing suspension mods, but I want to get an idea of how low I want my car and figured this would be a good alternative.

The back really isn't bad, but the front looks waaaaay high for me, and I'm really digging lowered cars right now.

I will get pictures tomorrow to show ride heights, forgot I was on the laptop =/
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

just cut a coil off the front
Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much will that give me?
Do I take pretty much one circle off?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Alot of people reccomend not to cut springs...its generally unsafe. Theres cheap springs out there...ebay,summit,etc...id go that route first.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a set of 4 sportlines in the FL classifieds the other day for $50, that is pretty damn cheap and I'm sure better than cutting your springs.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you don't heat the springs while cutting (taking a break during cutting), it shouldn't change the rate on stock springs.
I have been in fbodys with cut springs and you can't tell if done correctly. If you fubar it, then go out and buy some cheap springs.

Just my .02...
Old 03-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Teching In

If you are going to go to the trouble of removing the springs then do it once and do it right, either buy some "affordable" springs or pony up and little and buy some good ones. I just put some Strano lowering springs on my Z28 and love them along with other suspension upgrades. They brought the car down very nicely and they still ride really good. The front still needs to settle a little but you get the idea below.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try looking for a used Eibach pro-kit. they're common as hell so might be pretty easy to find. I sold a set of 4 for $100 a couple years ago. Get an LT1 kit if you can. The rear sag issues tend to be worse on the LS1 kits. If you want to go even cheaper for now then cut a coil off of the front and hose mod the back. Actually....I'm not so sure you would want to start with a full coil. Maybe start with half a coil and see where that gets you, then cut more off if need be. Its a lot more work if you end up wanting more but you can't add spring back on. Biggest thing is like said above make sure you do if right. The best way is a cutoff wheel on a die grinder and make sure you don't heat them up too much. There's a good chance that if it already has ride issues its gonna ride like a total dump truck, but if you're ok with that it should be fine for a temporary mod if the main goal is to see how low you want it.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 03-30-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys, I'll just see if I can find a set of cheaper stuff first.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

I've got cut 1le springs with gabriel crappy shocks. The ride is not great but it got the job done. I took a coil off each of them and did the heater hose mod on the rears. The car has a great stance and I get complements all the time on the way it looks. I'm going to upgrade to a koni and strano spring setup though.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:55 PM
STA
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nighthawk15
Try looking for a used Eibach pro-kit. they're common as hell so might be pretty easy to find. I sold a set of 4 for $100 a couple years ago. Get an LT1 kit if you can. The rear sag issues tend to be worse on the LS1 kits. If you want to go even cheaper for now then cut a coil off of the front and hose mod the back. Actually....I'm not so sure you would want to start with a full coil. Maybe start with half a coil and see where that gets you, then cut more off if need be. Its a lot more work if you end up wanting more but you can't add spring back on. Biggest thing is like said above make sure you do if right. The best way is a cutoff wheel on a die grinder and make sure you don't heat them up too much. There's a good chance that if it already has ride issues its gonna ride like a total dump truck, but if you're ok with that it should be fine for a temporary mod if the main goal is to see how low you want it.
If your gonna cut your springs this is great advice. I cut my fronts 3/4's of a coil and it dropped my car a lot. I scrape constantly and wish I started with half a coil.

Quick Reply: Ghetto lowering...