Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can a tranny leak from?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can a tranny leak from?

When I did my header install I found that my tranny is leaking a little bit of fluid. Just enough to make the pan and bellhousing wet. Not enough to see a decrease on the dipstick. Is it possible for the converter itself to leak? Possibly drip from the dipstick (didn't get bolt in)? Tranny cooler install? Ideas?
Old 01-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Teching In

How many miles are on it? If the bellhousing and the pan is wet, it could be the tranny front seal (located behind the torque converter). Take a screwdriver and remove the the big round inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing to see if theres a leak. Other possible thinks that could leak up front are the trans pan gasket and the dipstick tube seal.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On the car or the torque converter? When the leak started it probably wasn't a 100 miles between the install and when I noticed it when I did the tranny cooler install.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:18 AM
D(irecto)r Pepper

Originally Posted by ShadowLightCSU
On the car or the torque converter? When the leak started it probably wasn't a 100 miles between the install and when I noticed it when I did the tranny cooler install.
Tranny fluid tubes are tight on the tranny and on the radiator?

Check the front seal... if it is leaking in front of the tubes... it usually is the tranny front seal.
Possible you nicked the "O" ring in the verter during a converter install ( if you have done that mod)... but that does not usually happen.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:41 AM
10 Second Club

I had a transmission pump bushing failure that caused the seal around the hub of the converter to leak a large amount of transmission fluid.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is the tranny front seal, how critical is it that I fix it? I have a zip tie holding the dipstick tube in place, is it reasonable to assume that's it?

I have an apartment right now, if I had a house she'd be torn apart right now